Cycle rack for van, (twin/barn doors)

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
trogg

Cycle rack for van, (twin/barn doors)

Post by trogg »

Hi, I'm looking at getting a cycle rack for my Primastar (Trafic, Vivaro) van.
Don't want a tow bar mounted one nor roof rack mounted one, which leaves the Thule sport G2 compact or the Fiamma carry-bike.

The Thule is designed to be fixed to the van door permanently and has a weight carrying capacity of 35kg which is ok for our 2 bikes,
The Fiamma hooks over the top of the door and is removable, it has the same carrying capacity of 35kg but is expandable upto 4 bikes.

My preference at the moment is the Thule because I like the idea of having it permanently fixed and I can open the doors when fitted with bikes, not sure if i can open the doors with the Fiamma but i like the idea of being able to carry more bikes.

I know finding someone who has either of these rack is very small, I have asked on several campervan forums and 90% of the replies are to fit a towbar and get a towbar mounted one but having had a tilting one years ago they are not suitable for me.

Thanks
boing boing
simonhill

Re: Cycle rack for van, (twin/barn doors)

Post by simonhill »

I had a Fiamma on my old VW Type 25 for 19 years and it was fine. Not a barn door, but a comment on quality.

My friend has a Fiamma on his barn door T5 and has reported no problems with it. I'm sure I would have heard of he didn't like it. He can open door with bike on, not sure if there is any limits on this. He removes if going away without bike.

I have a different rack on my T4, a big heavy German one. Permanently fixed which is OK for me, but I can see advantages to being able to remove. Your call on this aspect.
trogg

Post by trogg »

Just had a closer look at the Fiamma instructions and I've noticed that it does have a bracket at the bottom of the door which would mean that it is permanently fitted and therefore the doors should be operable with the bikes on.
boing boing
trogg

Post by trogg »

simonhill wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 9:08am I had a Fiamma on my old VW Type 25 for 19 years and it was fine. Not a barn door, but a comment on quality.

My friend has a Fiamma on his barn door T5 and has reported no problems with it. I'm sure I would have heard of he didn't like it. He can open door with bike on, not sure if there is any limits on this. He removes if going away without bike.

I have a different rack on my T4, a big heavy German one. Permanently fixed which is OK for me, but I can see advantages to being able to remove. Your call on this aspect.
Thanks simonhill, Fiamma dose seem more popular with the camper/motorhome fraternity, and 19 years would outlast me lol.
boing boing
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Be careful about putting too much weight on the hinges.

Some (ford transit I think) have been known to fail.

Cheers James