Ewerk compatible power bank?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Dave855

Ewerk compatible power bank?

Post by Dave855 »

Afternoon all,

I have a Son28 dynamo linked to an EWerk charger.

I use this setup to charge a power bank as I cycle (I know it would be more efficient to charge my devices directly but I prefer doing it this way for convenience).

The power bank I use is a Portapow 10,200ah one. It’s been great but has recently stopped holding it’s charge and so need to replace it...and it looks like they’ve stopped making them so I’ll have to find an alternative.

I understand the EWerk has compatibility issues with some power banks (the Anker ones for instance?) so I was wondering if anyone could kindly recommend me a power bank that they successfully charge using an EWerk?

Many thanks, Dave
simonineaston

Re: Ewerk compatible power bank?

Post by simonineaston »

I use this setup to charge a power bank as I cycle (I know it would be more efficient to charge my devices directly but I prefer doing it this way for convenience).
I'm no expert, but I think there's potential issues charging directly as devices often "like to see" energy that's more consistant than what comes straight out of a hub-dynamo... so I think you're already heading in the right direction.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I haven't heard of incompatibilities. I do find that it works better for me to charge a USB battery pack from the dynamo, and everything else from that, apart from the lights.

My dynamo is an SP PV-8, my B+M Luxos light has a USB output, and I currently (!) use a TeckNet 16,000 mAh battery pack. That works fine and is lasting well.

In previous discussions there's an interesting argument for having two battery packs when eg camping.

Jonathan
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

I don't know of any problems with powerbanks and ewerks as such, but I do know most powerbanks won't allow charging of a connected devices whilst they are themselves being charged (often called pass through) are you meaning that? I have Charmast 10,000mAh 37Wh from big river that will charge whilst also simultaneously allow any/all of the 3 outlets to be used (USB Micro/C and USB A).
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I've charged an Anker powerbank from an ewerk with no problems.
I really rate Anker powerbanks.
Re a point above, Ankers don't support pass-through operation - i think they reckon it's bad for the powerbanks.
Doesn't bother me - I recharge stuff from the powerbank.
Sweep