no H and L on mech screws

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jawaka

no H and L on mech screws

Post by jawaka »

I need to adjust the front mech but it is an elderly bike and has no H and L screws on mech or derailleur. I wondered if I should remove the chain and see the effect of the screws without impedance by the chain, but is there an easier way?
thanks
Jdsk

Re: no H and L on mech screws

Post by Jdsk »

The two screws are there, but not marked H and L?

Jonathan
jawaka

Post by jawaka »

yes, the screws are there, just no marks. It is a Dawes Horizon, but it is from the 80s, so I can't imagine it happens on bikes post that era!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks.

It isn't usually necessary to remove the chain to work this out.

If you change gears to the appropriate end of the travel you can then turn the screws and see which one pushes the mechanism.

And you can often do it by imagining how the bit that the screw bears on is moving as you watch while you change gear, even if you can't see it directly.

Jonathan
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Often with older mechs if you peer round the back you can see the inner workings: you'll see the two screws sticking down into the mechanism and a metal rocker that they make contact with. In high gear (smallest sprocket) one screw will be touching (or very nearly touching) the rocker. That's your "H" screw. Change to bottom gear (biggest sprocket) and the other screw will now be touching the rocker - that's the "L" screw. There will now be a noticeable gap between the rocker and the "H" screw.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Like Andy says! :D

I can't get my head round H and L ............ they should be labelled In and Out.
As in "inner stop" and "outer stop".
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 3:22pm Like Andy says! :D

I can't get my head round H and L ............ they should be labelled In and Out.
As in "inner stop" and "outer stop".
So does the In move the outer stop in or the inner stop out?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

If you can't remember your highs and lows, then
L is for LOW
L is for LEFT
So L ajusts the left side/spoke side stop position.
Same for the front gear.
If all else fails, follow the good advice up thread of looking closely at the mech.

Unless well out of adjustment, often you only need 1/4 - 1/2 turn at a time, so do in small amounts.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Just try and read the shimano ones that are marked on the little black plastic without your glasses L&H :P
I always put cable on max one way or the other then twiddle the screw.....if its right then goes stiff if not just remember to set it back where it was :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What plastic?

My Shimano mech on Moulton doesn't have any plastic (other than the jockey wheels).
Second Shimano rear mech on that bike, and neither that one or this one, has any plastic.

Another thread about plastic on a front mech.
Never had a front mech with plastic on it either.
Mick F. Cornwall
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Make sure there's some slack in the gear cable and undo the inner screw by one turn, If the derailleur moves inwards then you have found the L screw. If the derailleur didn't move turn the screw back to where it was, i.e. do it up one turn and then repeat the procedure with the outer screw and you should observe the derailleur move inwards, in which case this is the L screw. Logic dictates that the other screw is the H screw :D
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Mick F wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 5:55pm What plastic ?
Like this Mick, you've likely got a newer mech on your Moulton;
P1150437.JPG
Darker and trickier to spot, especially if it's buried in road crud.
Nu-Fogey
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Moulton came with Tiagra front and rear.
Bought new March 2016.
Still have the same front mech.

Rear mech is now Shimano Deore XT and recently bought another as they are no longer made. The spare I have was probably the last one anywhere. Photo of it newly fitted shows it still had a sticker on it.
Tiagra Front Mech.jpg
New Rear Mech.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall
colin54

Post by colin54 »

To jawaka, the original poster. Is the bike a 10 or 12 speed double; if you haven't already sorted it from the instructions given above? I see from the only Dawes catalogue from the '80's with the Horizon listed that I can find - 1986; it is described as having
Suntour AR 10 speed, so 2x5 ; possibly the front derailleur is Suntour as well, I can't find an instruction leaflet for the AR, but here's one for a 1984 Suntour Cyclone which may have the same layout for the purposes of adjustment. It's just about readable.
http://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=12468
The Dawes Horizon had changedto 2x6 transmission by 1990 according to the Dawes Catalogue; described as having Huret Classic 2000 sport 12 speed.
If I find any likely Huret instructions, I'll add them to this thread.
'86 Dawes Catalogue

https://dawescycles.files.wordpress.com ... es-cat.pdf
'90 Dawes Catalogue

https://dawescycles.files.wordpress.com ... at-vcc.pdf
Good Luck.
Nu-Fogey