Winter tyres

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
kgw2511

Winter tyres

Post by kgw2511 »

My new bike has come equipped with Continental Ultra Sport III tyres.

Are these suitable for winter riding and if not what would you recommend?

Thanks
mjr

Re: Winter tyres

Post by mjr »

It depends what you mean by winter. Continental tyres are often said to be not very grippy except for the TopContact range. I don't use them because local flints seem to cut them easily.

On icy roads, studded tyres like Schwalbe Winter, Marathon Winter and Snow Studs are the only thing that grips reliably but they are hard work and noisy. On the plus side, you will stay warm!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

kgw2511 wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 9:37am My new bike has come equipped with Continental Ultra Sport III tyres.

Are these suitable for winter riding and if not what would you recommend?

Thanks
I have ultra sport 3 on my spring autumn carbon bike. Not light but seem fairly durable. I will be using them throughout winter on dry days. Wet / mucky days I take the winter bike.

Cheers James
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

I Have Continental "Contact Speed" on my winter bike. It is uses 26"/559 old school MTB wheels but they are available in 700C sizes in various widths. I find they roll well, while being quite light and grippy with their knurling-like tread pattern.

I had "Contact" for a while but found them very heavy and stodgy. They also punctured first outing despite having a very substantial looking tread!

If it's snowed or icy, then it's a fixed wheel bike with studded tyres for me as per geomannie's post. I got mine pre-lockdown and in a summer sale for about a fiver each!
Last edited by fausto99 on 13 Oct 2021, 1:05pm, edited 3 times in total.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

If you want to keep going in ice & snow, I strongly recommend these at only £28/each https://spacycles.co.uk/m14b6s142p3917/ ... nter-HS396.

I bought a pair last winter & I was happily riding through my local parks and trails on sheet ice. You still have to be a bit careful but riding becomes a practical & enjoyable proposition in challenging winter conditions.
geomannie
interestedcp

Post by interestedcp »

Continental "Grand Prix 4 Season" is IMHO the best winter racing tyre available. It's rubber compound is optimized to also work well at freezing temperature, keeping the tyre supple and giving better grip. It is an overall nice tyre, but also fairly expensive.
A cheaper alternative is probably the "Continental Grand Prix", which is the entry level tyre with the "Black Chilli" rubber compound.

That said, I know of no racing tyre (28mm and below) that have proper ice grip.

If your bike can accommodate 37mm tyres, the "Continental Top Contact Winter II Premium" tyre is the best all round winter tyre I have used. It doesn't use carbide studs, but instead utilise a "lamellae" structure and special compound to get grip on even pure ice. It really works. With them on my bike I can ride on ice surfaces too slippery to walk on. IMHO, their ice grip is somewhat below my "Nokian (Suomi) Hakkapallitta 106" with carbide steel studs, but still good enough for safe riding when careful. But the "Winter II" tyres are much nicer to ride when it is above zero and doesn't make the same noise as studded tyres. Overall "Continental Top Contact Winter II Premium" is a superb winter tyre, but of course also rather expensive.

If one is thinking about buying winter tyres, now is the time to do so, because if it becomes a harsh winter, they will sell out immediately.
Also, all the studded winter tyres i know of, needs to be "run in". As I understand it, the factory uses some kind of lubrication to insert the studs, so running the tyres on a dry surface for around 30-50km removes this lubrication without stressing the studs. If one takes brand new studded tyres out on ice, the result will probably be a lot of lost studs.
Make sure the tyre uses carbide steel studs before buying. Regular steel studs wears out in no time.
Even with a studded tyre, one needs to be careful when riding on ice.
Buying expensive winter tyres is a great way to ensure the following winter will be mild and snow free. :wink:
--
Regards
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

fausto99 wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 11:30am If it's snowed or icy, then it's a fixed wheel bike with studded tyres for me as per geomannie's post. I got mine pre-lockdown and in a summer sale for about a fiver each!
Or get a sensible number of wheels :twisted:
I used to enjoy the slippery days, had a fair group of people watching me do donuts in the empty car park next to our office one year :mrgreen:

When it was likely to be slippery for a few days I'd revert to studded tyres all round, a little less exciting, but a more reliable way of getting to the office.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mig

Post by mig »

agree with much on this thread. the continental winter contacts are the best compromise over the likely differing weather conditions. as mentioned, frame clearance is key in using those.

had a couple of winters on fixed with studded tyres. hell of a workout that, especially given that my commute features a steep sided river valley. as i remember i ended up with the studded tyre on the front and a continental winter grip on the back to reduce weight a little.

also.....yes.....buy them now and ensure a mild, wet winter. always works!
interestedcp

Post by interestedcp »

fausto99 wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 11:30am I Have Continental "Contact Speed" on my winter bike.
The Contact Speed's have been my favourite commuting for some years now. Surprisingly puncture and cut resistant despite really comfortable with a low rolling resistance. They also have a fairly good road grip, even when raining. They are a massive upgrade on all parameters from the Gatorskins I used to ride, and cheaper too.
--
Regards
mjr

Post by mjr »

interestedcp wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 11:56am Even with a studded tyre, one needs to be careful when riding on ice.
In particular: try to avoid braking too sharply because there is a small risk of some of the ice detaching from the tarmac beneath it and forming a skate under your wheel; and don't put a foot down on ice and expect to use it to balance!

Much less care needed than when riding summer tyres on ice, though.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.