Dura ace down tube shifters

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Periday

Dura ace down tube shifters

Post by Periday »

I have at the moment 105 7x3 down tube shifters ( sis /friction ) can I put dura ace 3x9 sis/friction) straight on or do I need to change the cassette (1987 Raleigh randonnuer) any advice greatly received) ps if anybody has a set spare or better please pm me Thank you Michael
slowster

Re: Dura ace down tube shifters

Post by slowster »

Why would you want to fit 9 speed shifters unless you also wanted to fit a 9 speed cassette?

If your current hub has a 7 speed freehub, it will not be wide enough to take a 9 speed cassette (unless the latter is modified by removing a sprocket). A full 9 speed cassette will only fit on a 8/9/10 speed freehub. If your wheel has a 8/9/10 speed freehub, you will be able to tell because there will be a 4.5mm spacer behind the 7 speed cassette.
Periday

Post by Periday »

My problem was I couldn't find 7 speed dura ace shifters only 9 speed only wanted to know if I could just use them in place of my 105 shifters sorry if I misled you .Michael
Last edited by Periday on 14 Oct 2021, 3:39am, edited 1 time in total.
Periday

Post by Periday »

Yes I've just re-read my initial message .it is misleading .stupid boy all I really want is 7 speed Dura ace down tube sis/friction shifters to replace the 105 shifters
Last edited by Periday on 14 Oct 2021, 3:33am, edited 2 times in total.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've got some DA down-tube shifters. 7-speed, but not sure about the 3*7 bit. Intended for a TT bike. Don't even know whether they made separate 3*7 ones.
Mr.Benton

Post by Mr.Benton »

I don't think this will work due to the cable pull of the levers. This website http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-beh ... atibility/ states that a 9 speed lever pulls 2.5mm of cable per click, but a 7 speed lever pulls 2.9mm per click.

Unless of course you use the shift levers in friction mode rather than index mode then they should work fine.
slowster

Post by slowster »

8 speed Tiagra SL-R400 levers are available for £27, and will work with 7 speed*.

* The difference in cable pull between 7 and 8 speed is 0.1mm per click. If the indexing using an 8 speed lever is centred on the middle sprocket of a 7 speed cassette, the 'misalignment' compared with using a 7 speed lever will be 0.3mm for the smallest and largest sprockets. In my experience that amount of misalignment is not noticeable.