Today's tip

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Audax67

Re: Today's tip

Post by Audax67 »

Pre-war chum of my dad's once used a postage stamp. When I was a teenager in NI I once used folded brown paper and did ~20 miles on it. New tyre cost me 3/9d, FWIW.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

We used to use rolled-up newspaper. After drinking out of it.

And you try and tell the young people of today that ... they won't believe you.

One Lancashireman
colin54

Post by colin54 »

On U.S sites I've seen dollar bills recommended or 'Clif' Bar Wrappers, which are an energy bar. The wrapper has a shiny metallic backing. Nescafe refill packs have a similar look and are quite heavy duty, I've got a couple ready cut in large oval shapes in my P- Outfits, but so far have never had to try them out (touch wood), quite a few British chocolate bar wrappers have a similar construction.
Nu-Fogey
Steve O'C

Post by Steve O'C »

I carry a section of toothpaste tube cut in to an oval. Costs nothing and weighs virtually nothing. It works out cheaper than the fiver if you have to use it on someone else's tyre :)
Janwal

Post by Janwal »

You can use Gorilla or duct tape. I always carry a length wrapped around my pump as it can be useful for all sorts of things.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Janwal wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 5:20pm You can use Gorilla or duct tape. I always carry a length wrapped around my pump as it can be useful for all sorts of things.
Small roll of gorilla tape stronger than duct tape and handy for all sorts of things.

Cheers James
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

Years back I was out for a ride with my brother in Switzerland and he put a pretty big slash in the sidewall of his MTB rear tyre. We booted it with a 200 franc note - the only note he had on him - and pumped the tyre up just enough to prevent pinch flats for the rest of the ride home, which was still quite a way. When we were almost home, I rather mischeviously said to him that the flexing of the tyre and tube might have rubbed the printing off the banknote, which worried him a bit, as 200 francs is about £160.

However, when we replaced the tyre with a new one the next day, the banknote was fine...