26" e-wheel?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pliptrot

26" e-wheel?

Post by pliptrot »

I have a Nihola cargo bike and I would like to add a motor. The only option is to change the rear wheel. Currently it has a Nexus 8 hub and I see that the only options are to go to a derailleur. OK, I suppose. But I want to buy something of quality and can find no recommendations or reviews. Does anyone have such recommendations?
Jdsk

Re: 26" e-wheel?

Post by Jdsk »

Which model, please?
http://www.nihola.com/products/family.html

Thanks

Jonathan
the snail

Post by the snail »

I'm pretty sure people have fitted crank drive conversions to those as well, I think there might be a thread on the pedelelecs forum?
hemo

Post by hemo »

A pic or two of the BB may show that a Bafang or Tongsheng mid drive may work if a std type BB is used.
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

It's a Family. The bottom bracket is bog standard BSA, AFAICT. I will look up Bafang and Tongsheng - thanks for that, hemo.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

pliptrot wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 8:20am I have a Nihola cargo bike and I would like to add a motor. The only option is to change the rear wheel. Currently it has a Nexus 8 hub and I see that the only options are to go to a derailleur. OK, I suppose. But I want to buy something of quality and can find no recommendations or reviews. Does anyone have such recommendations?
What is the rear dropout spacing? I have recently fitted a 48V high torque, low speed windings, rear wheel kit on my cargo bike and would highly recommend it. If you were to go for this option you will easily get away with a single chainwheel with a wide ratio cassette. Probably something like 42t chainring and an 11-36 or 11-42 cassette would give a great range of gears. This the kit I fitted:

https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits#dwg22c-48v-kit

I did enquire about fitting a BB mid drive motor but was advised against it by Woosh. They were concerned about the potential load on the internal gears if trying to pull away in too high a gear or when heavily laden. I think this is a fair consideration as since fitting the e assist I often find myself stopping in a much higher gear than would otherwise, simply because the pedalling with the assist is so much easier. The high torque hub motor copes with this scenario with no problem at all.