Good Secondhand Bike Shops?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tangled Metal

Good Secondhand Bike Shops?

Post by Tangled Metal »

Anyone got a few recommendations for secondhand bike stores? I read an article about buying preloaded or ignored bikes as means to get better for less. The writer was a guy from a social enterprise in Sowerby Bridge called Happy Bicycles iirc. He also mentioned a similar shop in Leeds. I don't think you get such bike shops these days.

There's two near us. I think one got shut down for selling stolen bikes. The other tried to expand into two stores but had to go back to one. They have a decent range but IMHO cheap bikes sold for more than they're worth secondhand. Plus new accessories and parts, all cheapo ones. But at least they try and vet people selling bikes. He told me about a guy trying to sell a good bike to him. He asked for a photo ID and the guy said he'd come back. He did a few dates later got his photo ID out, also took his coat off to show his jacket. The photo ID was a police warrant card and his suit jacket was black with crown on the epaullettes. The guy bought the bike off him.

Meanwhile a woman looking about 50 plus but definitely a heavy drug user at some point offered him a speed road bike a mate gave her but she had no idea what it was worth but it would be a good one. If it was as she said it was a 2 or 3 grand bike and she was looking for a couple of hundred! He told her he needed phot ID and she never came back.

Anyway, any secondhand bike shops you can recommend?
Tangled Metal

Re: Good Secondhand Bike Shops?

Post by Tangled Metal »

I know of the following but no idea if any good.

Bay Cycles, Morecambe
Happy Bicycles, Sowerby Bridge
David Ferguson Cycles, Skipton - looked like a very good little shop.

Can you add to the list and actually recommend any? Bonus points for ones near North Lancashire, south Cumbria, near me! 😆
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Palace Cycles Carlisle usually carry some used bikes. A reputable shop and Mike is a fountain of knowledge of bikes and touring.
None at the moment though.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Not specifically a shop, but in Glasgow I can recommend Bike for Good, an organisation dedicated to getting folks on bikes. As part of this endeavour they refurbish old bikes of all types and sell them at reasonable prices.
https://www.bikeforgood.org.uk/
geomannie
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Margret Carey foundation, Shipley.

Has a very nice British eagle touristee just a tad too small for me £250 new tyres, chain and cassette

Cheers James
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

https://www.resurrectionbikes.org.uk/pr ... oad-bikes/

Ressurrection bikes harrogate.

Cheers James
Tompsk

Post by Tompsk »

Slightly old fashioned bike shop at the very top end of the high street in Aylsham (Norfolk). Not sure if they are 'good' or not.

Some interesting secondhand bikes (at least one on commission) when I visited about 18 months ago, hopefully they are still trading.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

geomannie wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 10:01pm Not specifically a shop, but in Glasgow I can recommend Bike for Good, an organisation dedicated to getting folks on bikes. As part of this endeavour they refurbish old bikes of all types and sell them at reasonable prices.
https://www.bikeforgood.org.uk/
Sounds similar to Cardiff Cycle Workshop https://www.cycletrainingwales.org.uk/c ... -workshop/
Richard M
Cardiff
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Here in Winchester we have the social enterprise Bespoke Biking, with a shop in the city centre: it takes in donated bikes, refurbishes them and sells them. As they only accept donations (they don't buy old bikes for cash or do part-exchange) it's mostly low-end stuff with the occasional vintage model. For the same reason they don't have many problems with stolen bikes being brought in. Good source for someone who just wants something for getting around town or the occasional gentle weekend ride.

Also in the city centre is BikeX, which is interesting: it buys, sells and exchanges mostly high-end used bikes, as well as offering repairs and servicing. I say "interesting" because although there's only one store, it's wholly owned by CEX Ltd, the nationwide chain that deals in secondhand phones, computers, videogames etc. I suspect our local BikeX store may be a pilot for a possible national rollout. The general view from the local cyclists who've used its services is that it's got good mechanics and decent bikes. So far I've not heard any stories of stolen items popping up for sale there.

Other secondhand bike sellers nearby include Re-Cycling Bikes, based on a farm a few miles out of town, and the new Wessex Bike Repairs in Chandlers Ford. In fact it seems to be a bit of a boom business at the moment.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Apart from the refurb charity/local council type places, secondhand shops often have a business problem.

When they sell a secondhand bike it it has to be guaranteed. It has to meet safety standards, etc. There is usually VAT on the price. (I don't think there is a second hand scheme for bikes like there is for cars or antiques.)

A bike has to be acquired fairly cheaply in order to be able to sell at a reasonable price but still turn a profit. Hard to compete with Argos, etc.

Maybe The Chancellor can address some of these issues in the upcoming budget.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There are bike shops making a business out of secondhand bikes. AIUI the Skipton one I mentioned has been doing it for a very long time. Some cheap, some expensive. A good shop IMHO.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

We visited "Get Cycling" in York when on holiday and ended up buying a new trike off them. They keep second hand and some very interesting stuff too. Worth a visit.

https://www.getcycling.org.uk/bike-workshop/

Here's some of their blurb

Full-service Bike Shop in York

We are a friendly, community-owned bike shop offering new and refurbished cycles of all kinds: for commuting, for leisure, for families and for special needs. If you need your bike serviced or repaired our highly qualified and experienced mechanics will be delighted to help you. On top of all that we have hire bikes and are on a major bike route. We are a not-for-profit organisation, and your custom supports all our pioneering work helping people with disabilities to enjoy cycling just like everyone else
I am here. Where are you?
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 2:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Is that the arcade cutting through to M and S? Used to have an amazing cheese shop in the old school way. Tins on the back shelves, tasting for free, loads of busy shop staff darting around weaving through each other to get a particular cheese like they were choreographed, etc. Oh and the whole arcade smelt of cheese! Loved it as a kid. Free cheese whenever we went in there, what's not to love?!

BTW is it still open? I doubt it but man you don't appreciate things until they've gone. Only thing I miss about that place. Oh and the old fashioned barbers with the "don't eat yellow snow!" Quality of joke signs up. You don't get that level of class and sophistication these days, no you don't!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Tangled Metal wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 11:04pm There are bike shops making a business out of secondhand bikes. AIUI the Skipton one I mentioned has been doing it for a very long time. Some cheap, some expensive. A good shop IMHO.
I must have a gander next time I ride through! .

Cheers James