OLN distance for a Dawes Red Feather?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
UpWrong

OLN distance for a Dawes Red Feather?

Post by UpWrong »

I'm looking at buying a used Dawes Red Feather for an electric conversion for the Mrs. Does anyone know the over locknut distance for the rear hub? The bike currently has a 7-speed freewheel and a Tournery RD. Probably 135mm? Needs to be this for a rear hub electric motor as the frame is aluminium so I won't be spreading the chain stays. A photo of the model here (not the specific bike);
colin54

Re: OLN distance for a Dawes Red Feather?

Post by colin54 »

Hi, I haven't found any information on the freewheel hub fitted, this 2009 catalogue is the best reference to the spec' of a Red Feather that I could find. Mentions an MF-TZ37 freewheel, but no-name hubs - page 66, which doesn't get you much further on. If you have a particular seller in mind perhaps they might drop the wheel out and measure across the frame drop-outs for you.
Quite possibly, as you say 135mm, but it's an expensive guess if incorrect.
https://issuu.com/dawes/docs/2009catalogue
Edit; I was looking at the Kalahari model in the same catalogue, this has a similar style frame but is specced with 700c wheels rather than the 26'' which the Red Feather has.
I note the Kalahari is fitted with Shimano Freehub FH-RM60 which is a 135mm hub (as are others in the catalogue)
If you were set on using a Dawes as a basis for an electric conversion, perhaps a Kalahari or similar hybrid might be a better buy, you get the better rolling bigger 700 wheels as well as being more certain of the frame width ?
https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/stor ... -2391A.pdf
Nu-Fogey
gaz

Post by gaz »

Nickeveson* is a former owner. Honesty* has mentioned that his wife has one, albeit some years ago. Might be worth a PM.

*both of this parish.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

colin54 wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 8:06am Hi, I haven't found any information on the freewheel hub fitted, this 2009 catalogue is the best reference to the spec' of a Red Feather that I could find. Mentions an MF-TZ37 freewheel, but no-name hubs - page 66, which doesn't get you much further on. If you have a particular seller in mind perhaps they might drop the wheel out and measure across the frame drop-outs for you.
Quite possibly, as you say 135mm, but it's an expensive guess if incorrect.
https://issuu.com/dawes/docs/2009catalogue
Edit; I was looking at the Kalahari model in the same catalogue, this has a similar style frame but is specced with 700c wheels rather than the 26'' which the Red Feather has.
I note the Kalahari is fitted with Shimano Freehub FH-RM60 which is a 135mm hub (as are others in the catalogue)
If you were set on using a Dawes as a basis for an electric conversion, perhaps a Kalahari or similar hybrid might be a better buy, you get the better rolling bigger 700 wheels as well as being more certain of the frame width ?
https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/stor ... -2391A.pdf
Thanks for looking. The problems with the Kalahari and the Mojave is their steep 74 degree seat tube angles. The angle for the Red Feather is 72 degree. The bike is 250 miles away and I don't think the owner is the kind of lady I could reasonably ask.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

gaz wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 6:59pm Nickeveson* is a former owner. Honesty* has mentioned that his wife has one, albeit some years ago. Might be worth a PM.

*both of this parish.
Thanks, I've messaged them.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

UpWrong wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 9:44pm
The problems with the Kalahari and the Mojave is their steep 74 degree seat tube angles. The angle for the Red Feather is 72 degree.
That's a good spot geo-wise, good luck.
Nu-Fogey
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

OLN on frames is adjustable - inwards or outwards.
Done it on a variety of frames, and it isn't much of an issue.
Mick F. Cornwall
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Mick F wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 8:03pm OLN on frames is adjustable - inwards or outwards.
Done it on a variety of frames, and it isn't much of an issue.
On an aluminium frame?
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I am going to make the trip and measure the OLN. It probably is 135mm given this bike was made around 2010. I guess it could be 130mm like a Dahon 7-speed in which case I might have a wasted trip but the Mrs was keen to have a weekend break. But she doesn't do the driving :roll: . I've explained to the owner that my purchase is dependent on the measurement and she is happy to hold it on that basis.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Made the 500 mile round trip. Tried to measure the dropout separation and wasn't sure. It looked like 130mm. Decided to get the bike anyway. Brought it home, took the wheel out and put a steel measure across the dropouts. Maybe 130 plus a bit. Got an XT hub and fitted it into the dropouts. Needed a little stay separation but not much. So maybe the bike was made as 132.5mm OLN so it could take road or MTB hubs. A lot of rear hub motors though are in the range 138-142mm so I'll need to be careful what I buy. I believe Aikema motors are a true 135mm. Or go for a front hub motor.
hamster

Post by hamster »

My wife has an identical one. 135mm OLN.