Using a Shimano 11 speed cassette with Campag 11 speed drivechain

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
martinn

Using a Shimano 11 speed cassette with Campag 11 speed drivechain

Post by martinn »

Hi all

I have just stepped to the dark side and bought a direct drive turbo trainer. I normally run 11 speed campag on my audax bike, and after reading around on the internet it would appear that I could run this using an 11 speed shimano cassette which I had lying around. It works and shift quite well, but boy is it noisy if its not got a really straight chain line.
is this normal?
Am I likely to be damaging my cassette or chain?
Is it just a case of faffing around with the adjusters until it goes quiet?
if this works well I might actually consider getting a shimano wheel, so I can run shimano style cassettes as there is more choice than campag

many thansk

Martin
KM2

Re: Using a Shimano 11 speed cassette with Campag 11 speed drivechain

Post by KM2 »

You can buy a set of spacers if you have an individual cog cassette.
Or set up the rear gear on the centre cog so that the mech goes a little off line either way( up an down the cassette) instead of setting it up on the smallest sprocket.
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

According to https://www.velonews.com/gear/drivetrai ... ain-sight/, you can slot any manufacturer's 11-speed cassette into another brand 11-speed drivetrain and it works fine. Sounds like it's just a case of turning the barrel adjuster to get the chain centred on the cog.
martinn

Post by martinn »

Thanks you for the replies

I thought as much, but wanted to sense check what I was doing, and didn't really want to mess around with the adjustment barrel if it wasn't going to do any good.

thanks

Martin