Speedplay frog RIP. Replacements?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nez

Speedplay frog RIP. Replacements?

Post by nez »

I have broken the lip on one of my cleats and since they are unavailable to buy I guess this means new pedals. It's a pity as I love them. I think I'll probably buy spds just to ensure long life and I'll get single sided ones as I sometimes potter around town in ordinary shoes. But looking through the pedals available baffles me somewhat. A shimano that fits my bill is £90. But of course there are plenty around the £40 mark. And you can pay £150 for Hopes. I wish I knew what differentiates. Bearings? But good quality non-ceramic bearings are very cheap. Really of course I'd like to find something which has as much float as the frogs and can be ridden in MTB shoes, but that's not going to happen.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Speedplay frog RIP. Replacements?

Post by Mick F »

I have Frogs on both bikes, with the cleats on sandals and on shoes.
I also have a spare set of cleats.

Absolutely wonderful pedals and it's sad (very sad indeed) that Speedplay as a company have finished. New company has taken over and the Frogs have been dropped from their line-up.

The bearings are available via
https://www.airevelobearings.com/produc ... pedal-kit/

As for the pedals themselves as a complete unit, they are few and far between, but eBay is your friend ............... but be quick, and be prepared to pay megabucks.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... g&_sacat=0

I'm glad I bought two pairs and a spare set of cleats too, and I'm hanging onto them. I may buy a couple of spare sets of bearings too before their demise.
Mick F. Cornwall
nez

Post by nez »

You need not worry about the bearings, Mick, they are standard items available from a bearing dealer. My problem is the cleats, which unlike you I hadn't laid down a store of. And I don't really feel like coughing up £250 for a set of cleats or £50 for 'part worn'. See this example on Ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255028505609 ... SwbWNftPCf

Maybe some enterprising manufacturer will start making cleats. You'd have thought they might be the kind of thing which can be printed. Until then, I'm afraid my lovely frogs will go in a drawer
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Speedplay pedals have been my goto for ages. Mainly cause the Platformer they used to do, converted it to a flat pedal and was easy to take on and off.

They stopped making it. I tried the knockoff from China. Terrible so soft. Threw it away after 100m ride up the road.

The value of Speedplay has hugely reduced for me as a result. Considering going to Spd once these cleats are gone, I need pedals which I can wear flat shoes in.

FWIW - i once brought the knock off cleats, when I couldn’t get the Speedplay ones, there were also terrible.
nez

Post by nez »

Jupestar wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 9:19pm Speedplay pedals have been my goto for ages. Mainly cause the Platformer they used to do, converted it to a flat pedal and was easy to take on and off.

They stopped making it. I tried the knockoff from China. Terrible so soft. Threw it away after 100m ride up the road.

The value of Speedplay has hugely reduced for me as a result. Considering going to Spd once these cleats are gone, I need pedals which I can wear flat shoes in.

FWIW - i once brought the knock off cleats, when I couldn’t get the Speedplay ones, there were also terrible.
Thanks for the warning
borisface

Post by borisface »

A long time user of both frogs and zeros but over the last year I have been using crank bros eggbeater 1s which I have to say have been good so far. They are double-sided and provide a decent amount of float as well as being lightweight. They are cheap to buy at around £40 a pair, the cleats are two hole like an spd and also cheap to replace.
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

Pedantic I know but eggbeaters are four-sided.