Adding Cable Stops to Steel Frame

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jupestar

Adding Cable Stops to Steel Frame

Post by Jupestar »

I’m looking to add some cable stops to a frame which has none.

It’s an old damaged frame - seat tube was damaged and cut off at the top, it hard to get a clamp on it, so it now lives on the turbo.

The frame is steel (tange prestige).

I’ve considered Epoxy, clamps, but as it’s load bearing. I want to investigate doing a proper braze on. And if I can’t I’ll probably just leave it with full outers.

My rational for doing a proper job, is that if I can do it successfully I’d be tempted to do it on my commuter (exactly the same frame)

Before I just give it a bash with some steel rods recommended from a local DIY. i’m wondering what would be the typical rods/flux to use?, and what temp it’s likely to need. - I.e. can I use my butane torch for copper pipes.

I appreciate I have to get it back to bare metal.
Eyebrox

Re: Adding Cable Stops to Steel Frame

Post by Eyebrox »

What about these for the fatter parts of the frame?
Attachments
Screenshot_20211023-222053.png
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Eyebrox wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 10:22pm What about these for the fatter parts of the frame?
An option I’ve considered, but for various reasons including tube size, preferred route, they are not ideal. As as you say it’s not a complete solution, although appreciate you can get similar for seat/chain stays.

I might end up that way, but would rather investigate alternatives.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Have a look at this thread. viewtopic.php?t=49335&start=15 :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

rjb wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 10:59pm Have a look at this thread. viewtopic.php?t=49335&start=15 :wink:
Thanks I guessed there would be some information somewhere but hadn’t found it!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm not clear whether you want to learn how to braze, using your damaged frame to practice on, or whether you just want to consider the options for adding the stops to your undamaged frame
?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Silver solder , not brazing rods. You will get enough heat in with a propane torch for small parts - eventually. Better with Mapps gas.

What with cleaning up the burned areas afterwards, I would say, too much of an investment in new equipment for what you are describing, better use clamp on parts or stay with full outer. Unless of course you really want to try.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Thanks, but I’m looking at cable stops rather than cable guides. I believe they could need to be clamp on as there is more load on the cable stop.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

thirdcrank wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 7:58am I'm not clear whether you want to learn how to braze, using your damaged frame to practice on, or whether you just want to consider the options for adding the stops to your undamaged frame
?
I’m looking at options, but leaning toward brazing them on.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

tatanab wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 8:14am Silver solder , not brazing rods. You will get enough heat in with a propane torch for small parts - eventually. Better with Mapps gas.

What with cleaning up the burned areas afterwards, I would say, too much of an investment in new equipment for what you are describing, better use clamp on parts or stay with full outer. Unless of course you really want to try.
Hi, thanks. Silver solder is where I got to after i read the previous thread, my understanding is the more %silver the lower temperature is required, but its more expensive. Not a huge issue as this is a one off..

When you say clean up the burned area what do you mean? I was thinking I could tidy it up with a prep wheel and sand paper, then repaint. All of which I have. As I painted the frame originally.

Basically I think have everything I need.

Cable stops.
Torch + gas
Clamps
Fire mat
Mask
Prep wheel
Sand paper
paint.

Just need the flux and solder.
robgul

Post by robgul »

As it's a steel frame one solution would be to fit Rivnuts (drill the frame, insert the Rivnut and it pinches up like a pop-rivet - using a Rivnut tool) - then fit these (Chain Reaction) - and no damage to the paintwork.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shi ... lsrc=aw.ds

The stops normally fit to down-tube braze-ons that would in days gone buy house downtube shifter levers - but the concept is the same.
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
531colin

Post by 531colin »

HERE viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37462&hilit=+cable+stops

I have just re-attached my pictures......they had gone, now they are back!

Note that you can buy cable stops etc. from "Ceeway" and probably elsewhere
KM2

Post by KM2 »

If you have any firebrick which you can place around the area, it will reflect the outgoing heat and help get it up to temperature.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

531colin wrote: 24 Oct 2021, 1:38pm HERE viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37462&hilit=+cable+stops

I have just re-attached my pictures......they had gone, now they are back!

Note that you can buy cable stops etc. from "Ceeway" and probably elsewhere
Good idea, i actually have cable stops. The double ones look like they will fit relaively easiliy, the single ones less so as there is no flat part to clamp it easiliy while soldering. I've been considering this and what i could use, your ideas look good..