Mixing road group sets: what works together and what does not

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

This may be of interest
https://cyclingtips.com/2017/12/mixing- ... -doesnt-2/
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
cycle tramp

Re: Mixing road group sets: what works together and what does not

Post by cycle tramp »

Useful, but I'm disappointed the author has not even acknowledged friction shifters for allowing you to use a different front derailleur to that of the rear, nor acknowledging that the friction levers will shift any cable operated front and rear dérailleurs from whatever period. Simply put friction shifters have the capability of solving most non- compatibility issues.
20210627_095308.jpg
My current set up - cheap 1980's shifter operating a short cage derailleur from shimano, on an IRD freewheel, attached to a SA hub, the chain is three parts KMC to one part sedis, the chainring is from surly, the bottom bracket from shimano and the cranks I can't remember- that's 8 different parts from 7 different manufacturers...
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
colin54

Post by colin54 »

And Thorn Rohloff dropouts and eccentric BB !? Love it.
Nu-Fogey
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

If you only use two chainrings, you can use any manufacturers' FD with any other manufacturers' indexed shifters. Because I like small chainrings (most of my bikes have a large chainring of 38, 40, or 42t), I tend to use MTB FDs on bikes with drop handlebars - I have Shimano MTB FDs being used with both SRAM Doubletap and Campagnolo Ergo road shifters, and everything works fine. I've also used Campagnolo 11-speed Ergos (pre-2015, when they changed the cable pull) with Shimano 9-speed MTB RD to index across a 9-speed wide range cassette - the match is close enough that that the indexing works fine.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

In a possible answer to Cycletramps comments.
a) Sadly, for many, the friction shifter is largely irrelevant. It is old fashioned and therefore to most cyclists not a consideration.
b) Less sadly, as it is a universal fix it doesn't need consideration does it? :D It will work for everything. If you can't fix your problem bung a friction shifter on. Easy. Bit like a hammer. :lol:
Nicks last sentence above needs qualifying I think. To some people, if it doesn't work exactly as a new, perfectly set up, factory system then it isn't a satisfactory set up. To others, me included, near enough will do.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

mattsccm wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 7:50am In a possible answer to Cycletramps comments.
a) Sadly, for many, the friction shifter is largely irrelevant. It is old fashioned and therefore to most cyclists not a consideration.
b) Less sadly, as it is a universal fix it doesn't need consideration does it? :D It will work for everything. If you can't fix your problem bung a friction shifter on. Easy. Bit like a hammer. :lol:
Nicks last sentence above needs qualifying I think. To some people, if it doesn't work exactly as a new, perfectly set up, factory system then it isn't a satisfactory set up. To others, me included, near enough will do.
Irrelevant - I'll get the popcorn....!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

mattsccm wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 7:50am In a possible answer to Cycletramps comments.
Old fashioned? Is the idea of using muscle power to travel, old fashioned? Is not the idea of a diamond frame bicycle old fashioned? Is not the idea of changing gear by moving the chain to and from different sized chainrings and sprockets also old fashioned? (as well as being very, very mechanically crude and rudimentary)

If I bought a copy of 'Good Omens' as a paperback is it old fashioned if I was to compared it with an audio book or the television series? Would the book be somehow less relevant, when compared with other mediums?

I think leaving the decision as to whether or not a piece of equipment is relevant or old fashioned to the advertising agent sounds rather hazardous to both your mental health and your wallet - best exercise your own judgement 😀
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
hamster

Post by hamster »

cycle tramp wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 7:32pm Is not the idea of changing gear by moving the chain to and from different sized chainrings and sprockets also old fashioned? (as well as being very, very mechanically crude and rudimentary)
Maybe, but a better system in terms of transmission losses has not yet been invented.
scottg

Post by scottg »

For those who find any cable operated front mech, electronic or bowden to be too fancy..... :)

http://bicyclespecialties.blogspot.com/ ... oject.html

For you friction aficionados Rene Herse is making new Nivex rear mechs.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/my-pbp- ... railleurs/
Also uses a rod operated front mech.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

"for many" !!!!!
Actually for many the idea of using any muscle at all is old fashioned :roll: :lol:
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

mattsccm wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 1:50pm "for many" !!!!!
Actually for many the idea of using any muscle at all is old fashioned :roll: :lol:
:D
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

For my part, I have a few mountain bikes still run on friction shifts and I love them. Seven gears (x3) is plenty for off road. As for muscle power, I'll keep on keeping on until something breaks inside me first!