Gates belt drive - CDN

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
riph72

Gates belt drive - CDN

Post by riph72 »

Hello all,

What are people's real world experience of the CDN belt drive? On the face of it, my intended usage (commuting) is exactly what it is intended for, but will I ever wish I'd gone for a CDX-equipped bike instead?! CDX seems overkill for my needs, given the description on the Gates site...

Regards,
Richard.
Stroudy

Re: Gates belt drive - CDN

Post by Stroudy »

I have a Cube Travel SL (full mudguards and flaps) with Gates CDN, Shimano Alfine 8 and eccentric bottom bracket. I bought it new in December 2019, and have used it mainly on our filthy rural roads, but also sometimes on canal paths and gravel tracks. It works flawlessly. I checked the tension once, using the guidelines on the Gates site, and it stays correct. It shows no signs of wear so far. I'm not sure what the mileage is, as I have other bikes, but somewhere around 3500 to 4000 Kms. Highly recommended.
riph72

Post by riph72 »

Stroudy wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 5:07pm I have a Cube Travel SL (full mudguards and flaps) with Gates CDN, Shimano Alfine 8 and eccentric bottom bracket. I bought it new in December 2019, and have used it mainly on our filthy rural roads, but also sometimes on canal paths and gravel tracks. It works flawlessly. I checked the tension once, using the guidelines on the Gates site, and it stays correct. It shows no signs of wear so far. I'm not sure what the mileage is, as I have other bikes, but somewhere around 3500 to 4000 Kms. Highly recommended.
Great, thanks for the feedback!
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

I'm being bone idle here, I should research it myself but.....

Are the belts interchangeable or do you need to change the pulleys as well?

Thank you.
riph72

Post by riph72 »

Tiberius wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 9:12am I'm being bone idle here, I should research it myself but.....

Thank you.
I asked Gates about this, the parts are inter-changeable - so you could change e.g. just the belt.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

From what i've researched previously i think the CDX upgrade in the rear cog is recommended. Although the Cube i saw came with a CDX rear, CDN belt and chainring. Its now a traditional chain drivechain, but thats on a different thread somewhere.
riph72

Post by riph72 »

Jupestar wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 11:29am From what i've researched previously i think the CDX upgrade in the rear cog is recommended. Although the Cube i saw came with a CDX rear, CDN belt and chainring. Its now a traditional chain drivechain, but thats on a different thread somewhere.
Gates upgraded the CDN rear cog, so it is fully metal now, so they told me a while back. So I doubt a CDX upgrade would be needed there (assuming regular commuting use), although a few years back it was probably a different story!
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

riph72 wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 9:46am
Tiberius wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 9:12am I'm being bone idle here, I should research it myself but.....

Thank you.
I asked Gates about this, the parts are inter-changeable - so you could change e.g. just the belt.
Interesting, Many thanks for the reply.
Stroudy

Post by Stroudy »

Here are some photos of the Gates CDN Drive on my Cube. I have full mudguards and flaps, plus a home-made shroud on the drive side of the rear mudguard, that extends below the bottom run of the belt. It's very effective at keeping things clean. I do the same with my chain-drive bikes.
Attachments
20211027_163302.jpg
20211027_163251.jpg