Spa Elan 725 Touring

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Davesmith3

Spa Elan 725 Touring

Post by Davesmith3 »

Hi All

First post, please be gentle

Looking for a new bike to predominantly cycle tour on but also use as a day tour bike. Mainly on roads, gravel and a bit of canal towpath and bridleways. Nothing totally off road.

I'm happy enough with 40-45 mm tyres. I don't have any experience of mechanical discs on a loaded touring bike in the wet.

Looking to carry about 15-20kg of kit in rear and front panniers on top of my own 85kg when away for a couple of weeks or so.

Went up to Spa and had a test ride on the Elan, Wayfarer and De Tour. Quite liked all three to be honest although I did slightly prefer the Elan for fit.

Would anyone be kind enough to share their experience of touring suitability of the steel Elan or opinions of the other bikes please?

Many thanks
st599_uk

Re: Spa Elan 725 Touring

Post by st599_uk »

Davesmith3 wrote: 15 Nov 2021, 10:11pm Hi All

First post, please be gentle

Looking for a new bike to predominantly cycle tour on but also use as a day tour bike. Mainly on roads, gravel and a bit of canal towpath and bridleways. Nothing totally off road.

I'm happy enough with 40-45 mm tyres. I don't have any experience of mechanical discs on a loaded touring bike in the wet.

Looking to carry about 15-20kg of kit in rear and front panniers on top of my own 85kg when away for a couple of weeks or so.

Went up to Spa and had a test ride on the Elan, Wayfarer and De Tour. Quite liked all three to be honest although I did slightly prefer the Elan for fit.

Would anyone be kind enough to share their experience of touring suitability of the steel Elan or opinions of the other bikes please?

Many thanks
I made a similar trip earlier this year and opted for an Elan for light touring, day rides, commuting etc. There's quite a lead time so I've missed the glorious summer rides, but hopefully can update once I've put some miles in.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
slowster

Post by slowster »

1. Did you fit loaded panniers to the bikes at Spa when you test rode them?

2. "I'm happy enough with 40-45 mm tyres." - Assuming you want mudguards, 40mm is the stated maximum width for the Elan and D'Tour. If you want the option of wider tyres up to 45mm (or even a bit more), you would need the Wayfarer or a similarly extra large clearance bike, e.g. Surly Disc Trucker.

3. I have a Wayfarer and a Spa rim brake tourer. The designer, 531Colin, has stated that the Wayfarer was designed as a rough-stuff/expedition type tourer, and I bought it specifically for its suitability for riding on tracks and off-road. I know that others use the Wayfarer for loaded touring on road, but I prefer the handling of the Spa rim brake tourer for road riding. I use both bikes with a saddlebag, but I am confident that I would similarly much prefer the Spa rim brake tourer for road riding with loaded panniers.

I think the D'Tour is the disc braked equivalent of Spa's steel tourer. The fact that Spa recently added the model to their range, rather than continuing to offer only the Wayfarer, indicates that they considered there was a gap in their range which needed to be filled.

4. I've not ridden the Elan, but I have a bike which is somewhat similar. I think it comes down to your priorities:

- If you want more lively/spirited handling for unladen day rides, and are willing to accept compromises in riding with panniers, get the Elan.

- If your priority is super stable handling when loaded up, and you are willing to accept a less lively bike for day rides, get the D'Tour or possibly the Wayfarer.

- If you want to have the option of >40mm tyres, get the Wayfarer.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I test rode a Ti elan set up with big tyres and racks. It felt very solid and I’d be happy to tour on it. I was after a day ride bike which I felt the Spa audax did better.
Ianwhitwell

Post by Ianwhitwell »

I bought a spa 725 with a steel fork and 30 gears in total, with mechanical discs. Done about a 500miles on it since purchase and very happy. Not toured on it yet though I have used it for several large shops and not had any complaints. Build quality is excellent. PS it also rides very well unladen as my day trip cycle as well. I when for 700*40 Mondials for tyres which are the biggest I could get under mudguards.
Last edited by Ianwhitwell on 23 Dec 2021, 2:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davesmith3

Post by Davesmith3 »

Thanks very much for the info guys

Much appreciated
PH

Post by PH »

I was a little surprised at your original comment that you prefer the Elan for fit, are you sure that wasn't just the way they were set up? I don't know these bikes but the sizing and geometry charts look, at a glance, similar enough that I'd expect to get an identical fit on any of them.
Spa list the Elan as a light tourer, so I suppose the question is how light is that and how compromised it is if you exceed that, I don't know, even if I'd ridden all three my conclusion would still be just opinion.
Of the light tourers I have ridden far enough to form an opinion, I'd say for me "Light Touring" means 10 - 12kg in a couple of small panniers and a bar bag, 15kg and I'm noticing the bike isn't as pleasant to ride, 20kg and I'm feeling I'm on the wrong bike. Weight begets weight of course - 12kg and you can have two paniers and a lightweight fork - 20kg and you probably need heavier forks, four paniers and a front rack, so the extra 8 is probably 10+. It is all a compromise and I'm not saying one thing is better than another, I'm lucky enough to have a choice of bikes so can match bike and kit, and I can still get it wrong! If I'm on a high mileage A to B tour where it's all about the cycling, I'll reduce the kit as far as I can and take a lighter bike, if I'm touring touring and it's all about the where, I'm not bothered that bike + kit is 50% heavier.
There is another option if you want to go heavy touring on a light bike, which is a trailer. I've done that a few times combining an Audax with a camping trip, but a search of the forum will show there's those with far more experience of such things.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Most of my riding is with a single saddlebag (that I bought in India) - with a small tool kit + spares, first aid kit, spare clothing and some food (~4kg)

For hotel/B&B touring, I'm going to put a Jack the Rack on the front and a small waterproof bag with battery pack for charging GPS and phone and some spare clothing.

Rarely, I may put a rack on and 2 panniers.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
ian5spot

Post by ian5spot »

Hi There
I bought a Ti Elan last year and have used it for road riding, gravel riding, bike packing and touring with full camping gear and panniers and I love it. I have a 2 x 11 set up with Shimano 105 group set and hydraulic brakes. One thing I would say is that the carbon forks for the Ti will not take a rack so if you want front panniers, then you may need to consider having a different fork fitted
steveboyde

Re: Spa Elan 725 Touring / Wayfarer / Sora's eat gear cables

Post by steveboyde »

The Spa Wayfarer's a great all-round bike, but the 9-spd Sora levers eat gear cables. I'm onto my 3rd rear gear cable in about 18 months, having done about 5K fairly hilly miles. Under the same conditions, my old Dawes Horizon 8-spd lasted about 10 years on the original cables. The cables fail by fraying inside the lever, so very tricky to get out unless you catch them early.
LittleGreyCat

Re: Spa Elan 725 Touring / Wayfarer / Sora's eat gear cables

Post by LittleGreyCat »

steveboyde wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 2:01pm The Spa Wayfarer's a great all-round bike, but the 9-spd Sora levers eat gear cables. I'm onto my 3rd rear gear cable in about 18 months, having done about 5K fairly hilly miles. Under the same conditions, my old Dawes Horizon 8-spd lasted about 10 years on the original cables. The cables fail by fraying inside the lever, so very tricky to get out unless you catch them early.
Thanks - useful tip.
Sounds as though that should be an annual service item.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Sounds as though that should be an annual service item
3 cables in 18 months; I am no mathematician but that's more like a bi-annual service.

My daughter has 9 speed Sora STI fitted and I changed the cables once in 5 years so far, not a great mileage, say 6000 or so. The old cables I pulled out looked OK and probably would have lasted another few years.

Are the fraying cables stainless or galvanized?
steveboyde

Post by steveboyde »

SimonCelsa wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 5:47am
Are the fraying cables stainless or galvanized?
Not sure - first one came with the bike, Spa fitted the second when I took it in to ask for help getting the first one out. I put a Jagwire stainless in about 6 months ago and it feels like that's just starting to go.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

To continue the thread drift. In an old thread on short lived STI ("Brifters") gear cables, some one (probably Brucey) counted how many times he changed gears on a ride of known lenght. Somewhere in the discussion the figures of 30,000 and 150,000 gear shifts appeared (if I remember the details correctly).
I think the conclusion was if with STI levers you changed gear a lot, then a preventative cable change every 6 months was a good idea.
STI levers I alway feel give cables a hard time, as the lever push I believe gives the cable a harder tug than say a down tube lever or bar end lever. The harder tug (force) reduces fatigue life significantly.
There are those of course who change gear relatively infrequently for whom the above doesn't really apply.
I use bar end shifters, cables last years and years.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

PT1029 wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 2:52pm To continue the thread drift. In an old thread on short lived STI ("Brifters") gear cables, some one (probably Brucey) counted how many times he changed gears on a ride of known lenght. Somewhere in the discussion the figures of 30,000 and 150,000 gear shifts appeared (if I remember the details correctly).
I think the conclusion was if with STI levers you changed gear a lot, then a preventative cable change every 6 months was a good idea.
STI levers I alway feel give cables a hard time, as the lever push I believe gives the cable a harder tug than say a down tube lever or bar end lever. The harder tug (force) reduces fatigue life significantly.
There are those of course who change gear relatively infrequently for whom the above doesn't really apply.
I use bar end shifters, cables last years and years.
Do you think Campy Ergos are inherently a bit kinder? I dont read about problems like the cable-end-stuck-in shifter oft-reported with STis.