Front mech: how much force on the frame?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
531colin

Re: Front mech: how much force on the frame?

Post by 531colin »

The stresses where the frame tubes join to other tubes, the dropouts, the bottom bracket, will be far greater than any stress imposed by the F. mech.
I would think if its possible to build a frame which works, then the material is quite up to carrying a F. mech.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

tenbikes wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 4:48pm I have a bamboo frame, currently 1x, but with an inner ring I can drop down to manually should I need to.

Thoughts?
Any chance of a photograph of your bike? - it sounds amazing.
Personally, I might be a little concerned about the crush strength in fitting a clamp to the bamboo, and it may well be worth contacting anyone who has working knowledge and experience of bamboo frames.
Shomano did go through a phase of having some front mech bolted to a metal plate which was then attached to the bike via tge bottom bracket fitting. Not sure if these were universal or whether some modification would have to be carried out to the bottom bracket.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

531colin wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 3:53pm The stresses where the frame tubes join to other tubes, the dropouts, the bottom bracket, will be far greater than any stress imposed by the F. mech.
I would think if its possible to build a frame which works, then the material is quite up to carrying a F. mech.
cycle tramp wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 9:44am Personally, I might be a little concerned about the crush strength in fitting a clamp to the bamboo...
I was more worried about local crushing than overall load. And I don't think that we know which of those other loaded areas are reinforced...

Jonathan
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

DSC_8090.JPG
Work in progress but only a bit of minor adjustments needed: stem height, rear light bracket, possible x2 chain set, and front wicker basket :)
Attachments
DSC_8088.JPG
DSC_8085.JPG
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

[/quote]

Shimano did go through a phase of having some front mech bolted to a metal plate which was then attached to the bike via the bottom bracket fitting. Not sure if these were universal or whether some modification would have to be carried out to the bottom bracket.
[/quote]

This is the answer!! Good grief man, you have just negated the whole thread in one sentence :)) Well done !
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Why not use a wrap of the same reinforcement as used to connect the frame tubes? Why can't a cable stop be glued on, again with a reinforcement wrap to secure it if necessary?
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

alexnharvey wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 11:03am Why not use a wrap of the same reinforcement as used to connect the frame tubes? Why can't a cable stop be glued on, again with a reinforcement wrap to secure it if necessary?
Seat tube currently 35.5mm. Any external reinforcement will render it too thick to take a mech band.
But we have the solution anyway......
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

tenbikes wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 10:17am

This is the answer!! Good grief man, you have just negated the whole thread in one sentence :)) Well done !
Oh, gosh have I? That's ruined it for everyone. I though this thread had at least another 5 pages in it, especially as it's failed to touch on Brexit, the Youth of Today, why bike parts don't last as long as they used to and taxes..

Thanks for posting photos of you bike- I'm very impressed. Especially like the wicker basket device holder thingy mounted between the front fork and frame - very ingenious :-)

Don't forget to share photos of you bike with the websites Ravdist and Bikepacking- both of which do a readers ride* feature every Friday- that bike fits well with ethos of both websites :D
(*No sniggering at the back!)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

cycle tramp wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 8:55am... the Youth of Today...
Give it time.

: - (

Jonathan
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

cycle tramp wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 8:55am ... website Ravdist ...
Can't find that. Did you mean The Radavist?
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Chris Jeggo wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 12:08am
cycle tramp wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 8:55am ... website Ravdist ...
Can't find that. Did you mean The Radavist?
Radish-abix*? An alternative cereal made from radishes? Yeah, sorry I did mean The Radavist :D Hey, don't forget to tell the UK government either, by switching from aluminium and steel frames, not only is tonnes of CO2 saved from ore extraction, smelting and transport, the bamboo itself acts as a CO2 sink and a further income stream for local farmers :D Go green, ride a bike, ideally ride a bamboo bike :D

(*I guess I could have also gone with Radishes28 an off shoot of turnip28 as a very tenuious link to see if there are any table top wargamers out there)