Packing a wheel safely for postage

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cycle tramp

Packing a wheel safely for postage

Post by cycle tramp »

If I wanted to post a fully built up bicycle wheel in a way that it is not damaged in transit, how best would I achieve this?
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
slowster

Re: Packing a wheel safely for postage

Post by slowster »

Wheelbuilders send out complete wheels in cardboard boxes that are sized to fit the wheel, with any QR skewer removed. The boxes are a close enough fit that the wheels usually have to be inserted at a slight angle (i.e. on the diagonal when viewed vertically), so that the axle ends do not end up pressing against the cardboard and pushing through it.

I think SJS use expanded flexible foam 'tyres' which slide completely over the outside surface of the rim and both sides of the rim, but I think they are an exception. For pairs of wheels larger boxes are used with a sheet of cardboard placed between the wheels to prevent damage, and one or two holes are made in the sheet for the tip of axle to pass through, which stops the two wheels moving.

If I were you, I would give your location in case anyone on the forum who happens to have a suitable cardboard box is near you, and/or I would place a request in the Wanted section for such a box. State also what the rim size is (diameter and width).

If you use a box which is not a close fit, I would wrap the rim in bubble wrap or similar to make the fit closer and prevent the wheel moving inside the box.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I sold a pair of wheels some few years ago.
I wrapped them over and over and over with cling film and then made a cardboard box to fit them out of other cardboard boxes. Wrapped that up with gaffa tape and sticky tape, then covered it all in brown paper. Addressed with felt pen.

Very stable, tight and strong, and arrived safely.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Clingfilm? Can't see how that can protect anything, polystyrene or those airbags are better!
rjb

Post by rjb »

Wheels are inherently strong. Think of all the potholes they been ridden through. I've had wheels delivered in cardboard boxes with plastic bungs in the axle. The bungs were approx 2 " diameter and 1 mm thick with a protrusion to fit in the axle. The rims were plain inside the rectangular cardboard box.

I've also had a pair of wheels purchased from this forum which arrived in black bin bags with an old tyre taped over the rim. :shock: fortunately undamaged.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The trouble with cardboard (as said above) is that axle will pierce. To avoid this I cut up a plastic milk bottle to make a protective piece I tape to the box where the axle is.

For use with my soft bike bag, I have made a box for the removed front wheel. Just fold cardboard round and lots of tape. Do twice for top and bottom of the square. It doesn't have to look pretty.

You can always use bubblewrap to wrap it first if you don't mind extra plastic.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Where is the wheel going?

perhaps a forumite might be going that way?

Cheers James
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Fit a tyre and tube and pump it up well.
You need a box big enough to have 2 or 3 inches of tightly packed corrugated cardboard between the wheel and any point of the box, and between 2 wheels.
The shippers will throw boxes off lorries, stand on them, pile stuff on top of them, and have them rolling about loose in the back of the truck.
I used to build and send wheels all over the country for Spa; if you pack them like this they will get there undamaged, unless they back a fork-lift truck into the parcel; nothing survives that.
PH

Post by PH »

I've had various wheels back and forth from Thorn/SJS, they're packed in fairly robust cardboard boxes, a fairly tight fit, but without much padding. The rim is wrapped in pipe lagging, the axle is surrounded by a cardboard tube (Like the inner of a roll of 2" tape) and it's all held in place by a few wraps of pallet wrap (A tougher version of cling film) I've kept the packaging for returns. Dynamo wheels for servicing, Rohloff wheels for modifications, maybe ten trips in all (five returns) not a significant sample, but all without issue. Wheels I've had from Spa, one pair 700c and a single Airnimal wheel, have been packaged a lot more creatively, it looked like someone had raided the recycling bin, just as effective, though it left a lot of packaging to dispose of.
From the other side of the fence - I've worked for a few of these logistics/carrier firms, expect your package to get exactly the treatment Colin describes. Plus at some time it's likely to be on a conveyer or roller track, so pack in a box that sits nicely on all sides. When in the van/truck/trailer floor space is a premium, so if the box sits well upright, that's likely the way it'll be transported. These firms make money by shifting lots of boxes cheaply and quickly, there's not the budget for much TLC. Despite that, losses and damages are rare, so much so that if you were sending 50 boxes a week, it'd be cheaper to cover your own losses than insure, but when I send the occasional box, I pay the extra few quid for insurance if it's of significant value.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Find someone who's just had wheels delivered and ask them for the box. A local bike shop is the obvious target. They end up with a lot of packaging and have to pay for it to be taken away otherwise.

I currently have a tough cardboard wheel box* sitting in the hall, folded down and waiting to go into recycling; also a wheel-sized bubblewrap bag that will probably be cut up for Xmas parcel re-use. If anyone down here in the Deep South wants them they're welcome to come and get them. (Shiny new Campag wheelset arrived earlier this week. :D )

* No, the box is cardboard, not the wheel...
fredN4

Post by fredN4 »

I have a couple of boxes you could have. Bit of a journey though. Ask a few bike shops to let you have the boxes they receive wheels in. My LBC is always happy to give me their cartons before they are ditched.