Bike sizing guides

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
DezMartin

Bike sizing guides

Post by DezMartin »

I have seen a bike which I would like to buy online
Boardman URB 8.9 2021
unfortunately there is no stock availability at the moment, so will have to wait a while.
I have found conflicting results with the sizing guides online for the same bike. The manufacturer recommends a Small size for my height and inseam measurements along withTredz. Yet Halfords recommend a Large size.
I will have to wait until there is one in stock so I can go and try out for size.
My question is why or how could they be so different ? Any ideas . Thanks
CyberKnight

Re: Bike sizing guides

Post by CyberKnight »

halfords always measure seatbtube when sizing a bike,and as boardmans tend to have a sloping toptube they sound smaller than they are .
i have 2 small road bikes and at 5 foot 7 i need a 90 mm stem , they are listed at 51.5 size but have a 54 top tube.
this is the sizing from boardman for the urb
Attachments
Clipboard03.jpg
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Maybe find out what top tube fits you (from another bike) and go from there?
freiston

Post by freiston »

From the chart above (and from the Boardman website and from the size guide table on the Halfords page for the bike - they're all the same), I would require a Small frame (175cm height, inside leg 80cm - my height gives Small, my inside leg gives either Small or Medium).

Halfords also have an "interactive" sizing guide (they ask for your height, for you to position a slider between performance and comfort, how long your arms are compared to body - short, average or long - also for your legs, and if you are less flexible or more flexible: "If you are between two sizes, a more flexible body would adapt more easily to a smaller bike size").

I gave my height, put the slider half way between performance and comfort, said I had average arm and leg length and that I was "more flexible" - it recommended me a Large frame, based on "my measurements and preferences, compared with thousands of similar profiles"
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)