Home spraying - masking head tube

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
David9694

Re: Home spraying - masking head tube

Post by David9694 »

peetee wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 11:03am Following on from my previous post, here’s my grey overspray masking job.77ADDEFF-1394-4D2B-8C2F-6FBDA69AB5D2.jpeg
That’s about the standard I’m achieving on a good day - ok, but a little bit ragged at the edges if you look really closely.

So my Ebay order is for a 10A blade, a job- lot of patience and a steady hand.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Anyone thought of using a fine brush

I used to use the little tins of Humbrol enamel and a brush to do the trim. I had a sign writer friend who taught me how to do the lines.

You can achieve a lovely finish using hammerite smooth although colour ranges are limited. You see brush strokes to start with but they self amalgamate to form a glassy smooth finish.
I am here. Where are you?
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

David9694 wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 9:39am That’s really good, Andy. So if I’ve got the shoreline references right, having painted the lug area and let it get well truly dry, you’re wrapping the lugs with the tape as simply and cleanly as you can, I’m guessing then tracing the line of the lug and pressing with a finger the overhanging tape down part-way and then allowing the blade to follow the edge of the lug to give a nice clean line?

As regards the vertical edge of the lug, I’m happy for that to receive the main colour, so long as I achieve a clean edge.
That's right! I can only really do this sort of stuff when I've had a good nights sleep and no coffee, that goes double for luglining. I reckon the best thing for luglining is a needle type car touch-up pen, like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384381450770 ... 2536026750
Humbrol works fine, especially if you thin it with 5-20% white spirit. The £££ option is One-Shot signwriters enamel, their "Metallic Brass" is great
Flam Lavender Flying Scot HT.jpg
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I have the idea that one day I'll 'lugline' my Spa steel tourer .... ie create some faux lugs which will look authentic from a distance :lol:
David9694

Post by David9694 »

AndyA wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 12:31pm
David9694 wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 9:39am That’s really good, Andy. So if I’ve got the shoreline references right, having painted the lug area and let it get well truly dry, you’re wrapping the lugs with the tape as simply and cleanly as you can, I’m guessing then tracing the line of the lug and pressing with a finger the overhanging tape down part-way and then allowing the blade to follow the edge of the lug to give a nice clean line?

As regards the vertical edge of the lug, I’m happy for that to receive the main colour, so long as I achieve a clean edge.
That's right! I can only really do this sort of stuff when I've had a good nights sleep and no coffee, that goes double for luglining. I reckon the best thing for luglining is a needle type car touch-up pen, like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384381450770 ... 2536026750
Humbrol works fine, especially if you thin it with 5-20% white spirit. The £££ option is One-Shot signwriters enamel, their "Metallic Brass" is great
Flam Lavender Flying Scot HT.jpg
Another nice job! I’ll your brush and raise you a gold Sharpie.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.