Home spraying - masking head tube

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
David9694

Home spraying - masking head tube

Post by David9694 »

How do the pros do it?

I quite like doing part of the seat tube in contrast white and I try to match the head tube. I’ve tried tape, artist’s masking fluid, I’m even considering trying modelling clay as a way to cover the head tube (but leave the lugs exposed for the main colour). I get mixed results from all the above. Even on the taped-up seat tube, despite all the claims of razor sharp edges, there’s usually a flaw or two but then that’s why God gave us Champion du Monde decals.

My back garden spraying set-up is pretty crude - I either hang the frame by the head tube off a conveniently sized tree branch or by the (hozontal) drop-outs on the washing line. If I first get the white seat tube done and masked off, that gives me a holding or clamping area. what is it about white metallic and pearl top coat that just doesn’t want to stay put?

I do Cheat’s gold lug lining with a Sharpie.

Anyway, how can I improve my head tube edges? I’d love a behind-the-scenes tour of Argos!
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
mattsccm

Re: Home spraying - masking head tube

Post by mattsccm »

I covered the whole arra with masking tape presssed down very firmly then took of what was to be painted with a scalpel.
peetee

Post by peetee »

mattsccm wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 9:28am I covered the whole arra with masking tape presssed down very firmly then took of what was to be painted with a scalpel.
You took the words right out of my mouth. :)
I did the seat tube, head tube and the fork crown this way with excellent results. Using a Swan Morton curved scalpel blade, with patience and a steady hand, you can cut through the tape with next to no scratching of the underlying paint.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

I use yellow frog tape, pressed down into the shoreline of the lug with a fingernail or piece of plastic, cut with a fresh 10A scalpel. Avoid overlapping the tape too much, it's hard to cut an accurate line through two layers of tape. It helps if the tape goes down as flat and non-wrinkled as possible, sometimes I'll cut lines on the non-lug side of the tape to allow it to better conform to the contours. It's best to cut the tape at the shoreline, especially if luglining afterwards. You might need/want to mask to the lug edge rather than the shoreline if you're not luglining, it's possible but harder.
Masking.jpg
This was done with yellow frog tape and a scalpel
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I must say, I'm in awe of you lot who can do this so intricate masking and cutting.
How the pros do it, I don't know but I reckon it must be similar.

This is my Mercian Vincitore after a refurb.
PICT0036.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Mick F wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 6:54pm I must say, I'm in awe of you lot who can do this so intricate masking and cutting.

PICT0036.JPG
That's worth every penny spent on the repaint
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Check out the loony German's videos on YT e.g. https://youtu.be/rsD3E0b6mko

Lots of good tips on masking and other prep.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Following on from my previous post, here’s my grey overspray masking job.
77ADDEFF-1394-4D2B-8C2F-6FBDA69AB5D2.jpeg
Des49

Post by Des49 »

I'm very impressed by what AndyA and peetee have achieved with masking tape! Well done.

As an alternative to masking tape there is masking fluid which is available for painters/artists. I used to use it in the darkroom for black and white printing where it was painted onto a print to selectively tone areas differently.
No experience of what is available nowadays but the one I used was quite thick and easy to apply accurately with a brush. Then afterwards it can be easily removed by peeling off. This could be an alternative to tape to mask off lugs accurately for spraying.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Could pva glue be used as a 'masking fluid' - just paint on and wipe/peel off afterwards?
peetee

Post by peetee »

fastpedaller wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 5:11pm Could pva glue be used as a 'masking fluid' - just paint on and wipe/peel off afterwards?
I imagine it could be. The masking fluid used by artists has a very similar texture. The only issue I could see is that overspray may bead on the surface and migrate to collect at the shoreline of the exposed frame to form an unsightly raised edge.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Des49 wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 2:20pm As an alternative to masking tape there is masking fluid which is available for painters/artists.[snip]
No experience of what is available nowadays[snip]
Maskol is used by modelers.
https://uk.humbrol.com/products/maskol- ... tle-ac5217
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

The other type of PVA (Poly Vinyl Alcohol) as used in Glassfibre mould release could be very useful for masking - It's a blue liquid that can be easily brushed on and dries in a few minutes. It is water-soluble, and can either just be peeled off after use, of soaked off with water.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Mick F wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 6:54pm I must say, I'm in awe of you lot who can do this so intricate masking and cutting.

PICT0036.JPG
Really nice. Are those seat tube bands decal or paint?

The cycling equivalent of a gingerbread house!
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
David9694

Post by David9694 »

AndyA wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 6:41pm I use yellow frog tape, pressed down into the shoreline of the lug with a fingernail or piece of plastic, cut with a fresh 10A scalpel. Avoid overlapping the tape too much, it's hard to cut an accurate line through two layers of tape. It helps if the tape goes down as flat and non-wrinkled as possible, sometimes I'll cut lines on the non-lug side of the tape to allow it to better conform to the contours. It's best to cut the tape at the shoreline, especially if luglining afterwards. You might need/want to mask to the lug edge rather than the shoreline if you're not luglining, it's possible but harder.
Masking.jpg
This was done with yellow frog tape and a scalpel
That’s really good, Andy. So if I’ve got the shoreline references right, having painted the lug area and let it get well truly dry, you’re wrapping the lugs with the tape as simply and cleanly as you can, I’m guessing then tracing the line of the lug and pressing with a finger the overhanging tape down part-way and then allowing the blade to follow the edge of the lug to give a nice clean line?

As regards the vertical edge of the lug, I’m happy for that to receive the main colour, so long as I achieve a clean edge.