Phone holder recommendations

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
first_bass

Phone holder recommendations

Post by first_bass »

I'm looking for a good phone holder for my touring bike. I've got a fairly standard sized Motorola smart phone, about 16.5cmX8cm. Most of the ones I can find either can only be used with iPhone or Samsung Galaxy models or require you to fix a mounting permanently to the back of your phone with 3M tape. I'd rather not have anything fixed permanently to the back of my phone. Other possibilities are ones where the phone is held by silicone straps, which look like they get in the way of parts of the screen, or top tube bags. With the latter, I just wonder first, how well touch gets through to the screen and second, how easy to see they are behind the stem?

Does anyone have any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks
Jdsk

Re: Phone holder recommendations

Post by Jdsk »

Do you want extra protection around the 'phone eg from rain or impact?

I've had good experience with transparent cases which allow use of the touch screen on an iPhone.

first_bass wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 6:19pm ... how easy to see they are behind the stem?
This was a big issue for me with my latest satnav device... near point of vision which isn't as near as it was, reach to operate it, and suitable place to mount it. I ended up with a gadget bar. I'd strongly recommend testing, preferably in a range of lighting conditions. (You've already got the 'phone but otherwise I'd suggest cutting out a life-size image.)

Jonathan
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I've found that this type of holder is very acceptable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gub-Bicycle-Ph ... =8-47&th=1

For weatherproofing I just use a Mark I plastic bag.
sjs

Post by sjs »

freeflow wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 6:51pm I've found that this type of holder is very acceptable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gub-Bicycle-Ph ... =8-47&th=1

For weatherproofing I just use a Mark I plastic bag.
I bought one of those, on freeflow's recommendation, and it works well. Haven't tried a plastic bag yet. Current phone is IP67 rated, so might try it out in a shower and see what happens.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I use this its brilliant and can hold an auxilliary battery too.

Deal: LEMEGO Bike Phone Holder Bag Waterproof Touch Screen Bicycle Handlebar Bag 360-Degree Rotatable Bike Phone Mount for iPhone 12/11/XS/X/8 Samsung LG Sony Smartphones up to 6.5'' https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083K6V3B ... 5Z0EFG22Y0

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Quadlock.

I've had a variety of cheap efforts, and it's just not worth cheaping out. quad lock cases are remarkably slim for what they provide, and the mount is secure. They provide mounts for all sorts of things, as well as a "build your own" modular kit.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
PH

Post by PH »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 7:56pm Quadlock.
I's agree - Except they don't do Motorola and the universal kit is the sort of glued attachment the OP doesn't want.

Before moving over to a Quadlock, I used a Topeak Drycase, I went through a couple over three years, they yellow a bit and eventually crack, though that's with Deliveroo use so a lot harder life than your average case. Touch screen works fine in the dry, gets a bit unpredictable in the wet.
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... e%20Series
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

PH wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 9:10pm
I's agree - Except they don't do Motorola and the universal kit is the sort of glued attachment the OP doesn't want.
I've been using Quadlock mounts on bikes for about five years with the stick-on adapters on the phone cases, and I've had zero problems with them not sticking. They won't stick to same case materials, such as TPU, but on other materials they hold extremely firmly. Quadlock have a list of suitable/unsuitable case materials here: https://support.quadlockcase.com/hc/en- ... adhere-to-.

Quadlock do make cases with the integrated mount for my phone (Pixel 5), but I prefer having the mount slightly below centre, so I used the stick-on adapter with a Spigen Rugged Armour case. I can still fit the phone in a trouser/jeans pocket without any problem:
PXL_20211107_194225344.jpg
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NickJP wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 3:28amI've been using Quadlock mounts on bikes for about five years with the stick-on adapters on the phone cases, and I've had zero problems with them not sticking. They won't stick to same case materials, such as TPU, but on other materials they hold extremely firmly. Quadlock have a list of suitable/unsuitable case materials here: https://support.quadlockcase.com/hc/en- ... adhere-to-.
Thanks. Very helpful.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PS: If I were to recommend a mount based only on personal experience would I be at risk of attachment bias?

; - )

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Before moving over to a Quadlock, I used a Topeak Drycase, I went through a couple over three years, they yellow a bit and eventually crack, though that's with Deliveroo use so a lot harder life than your average case. Touch screen works fine in the dry, gets a bit unpredictable in the wet.
https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... e%20Series
So glue it to a different case?

I've had other phone mounts drop my phone on the road at speed...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
first_bass

Post by first_bass »

NickJP wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 3:28am
I've been using Quadlock mounts on bikes for about five years with the stick-on adapters on the phone cases, and I've had zero problems with them not sticking. They won't stick to same case materials, such as TPU, but on other materials they hold extremely firmly. Quadlock have a list of suitable/unsuitable case materials here: https://support.quadlockcase.com/hc/en- ... adhere-to-.

Quadlock do make cases with the integrated mount for my phone (Pixel 5), but I prefer having the mount slightly below centre, so I used the stick-on adapter with a Spigen Rugged Armour case. I can still fit the phone in a trouser/jeans pocket without any problem:
PXL_20211107_194225344.jpg
This is an interesting idea. I might have to see if I can find a suitable hard case for my phone. Did have a bit of a look but the ones I could find were silicone, TPU, leather or wood (!)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I've recently come by a set of Quad Lock products by chance - they came with other items I bought off of fleabay... I'm rather impressed! They're light, fit & work well, and haven't failed yet (early days, I know :shock: ). I acknowledge there's no Motorola case, but if the bits I've got are anything to go by, the sticky thingy that would make a Motorola-shaped case work with a Quad Lock 'bar mount might well be a decent bet.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

I bought one of these although a slightly different brand from Amazon. And I suspect similar are on eBay.
It has a stretchy silicone mount that fits to the phone and then clips into a qr mount on the stem or bars. It seems robust and keeps the phone secure even on bumpy rail paths. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0891SB6JK/ ... 7X54STY7D6
peterb

Post by peterb »

Another gub (G85) user here. Worth noting that mine can attach to the top cap or bars and the phone can be held either vertically or horizontally. I bought mine from Aliexpress, less than £10 delivered. Mk 1 plastic bag as required for rain.