high rail saddle

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
CinnabarMoth

high rail saddle

Post by CinnabarMoth »

I have a bike with a seized saddle, will get it un seized one day but in the meantime I am looking for a saddle which sits
higher than average on the rails to get an extra cm or so of height.
Does anyone know of such a seat?
Thanks.
PT1029

Re: high rail saddle

Post by PT1029 »

Can you state the saddle rail - top of seat height? Then people might have a refence point for suggestions.
Do you want a saddle that is narrow/low handle bar position, or a wider seat for a more up right seating position?
If in the wide/more upright position camp, some of the gell saddle covers can be quite thick/tall.

Otherwise you might just need to take your saddle to a shop(s) and compare with what they have.
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

This saddle added a cm to the height of my previous saddle. Just £15. Won't last long but doing the job.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/brand-x-comfort-saddle
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Saddles can certainly have different seated height relative to the rails, as I've discovered with a recent purchase. However, if your objective is to get a bit of extra seat height, then either raise your seat-post or, if that's already at full extension, try and get a longer one. (They're cheap and readily available on eBay etc. and from your previous posts, I know you've got a fairly standard bike, so you're unlikely to have some exotic seat post with odd layback etc.)

Restricting your choice of saddles to those with unusually high seat-above-rail distance means you would have to compromise on the stuff that's really important, i.e. how well it fits your backside.

(Edit... Just realised I'm being a bit thick here and you clearly mean you have a stuck seatpost. Have a search on this forum or on Google for 'stuck seat post' and exhaust all the options for freeing your seat post. Should be less faff overall than going out and finding a new seat. I've never failed so far, although it has occasionally involved getting mediaeval with mole grips and a mallet.)
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Seized seat pin surely.You need to specify a height to start with,preferably a picture with a ruler alongside.As to average/normal height,too variable really,45mm-70mm?Easier to release seat pin,information galore on the net,patience required.
CinnabarMoth

Post by CinnabarMoth »

Thanks some usefull ideas here.
Sorry should have written 'seized seatpost' , and its well and truly solidly seized.
Current saddle is an old SDG Bell Air, 5cms from top of saddle to bottom of rails, measured from the center of the rail.
The sort of saddle linked to by Eyebrox should do the job till I get the post freed professionally.
I did take it to a bike shop once but they thought it could only be freed with a blow torch and would not try any mechanical method saying force would more than likely snap the post, and as for chemical methods well that just looks outright dangerous.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Anyone know of a more sporty saddle as my Cannondale seatpost is seized and a higher saddle would be better.

Cheers James
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

A Cinelli Volare would be ideal for you James.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Any higher than a rolls / turbo?

Cheers James
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

About half an inch I'd say!
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Most Brooks are about 3" from the rails. Most plastic racing saddles are more like 2". So, Brooks.
RickH

Post by RickH »

If you like the saddle & your post is a 2 bolt one you could raise it a little by getting an Alpkit Exorail kit (link, especially if you were already considering buying some sort of bikepacking style seat bag. (Alternatively, you could ask them if they could sell you one with some offcuts of rail or a returned bent rail to chop yourself. They seem to be a company quite amenable to special requests.)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
CinnabarMoth

Post by CinnabarMoth »

Jamesh wrote: 30 Nov 2021, 2:33pm Anyone know of a more sporty saddle as my Cannondale seatpost is seized and a higher saddle would be better.

Cheers James
I ended up getting one of these, 6.5 cms from bottom of rail to top measured in the middle of the saddle, it's 16cm wide and quite firm and flat on top.
They make a narrower version but it's a softer gel saddle so you might lose any extra height through the sag.
https://www.bikester.co.uk/sportourer-f ... &cgid=b367