Unusual (to me) bottom bracket axle removal.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Vetus Ossa

Unusual (to me) bottom bracket axle removal.

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I have been messing about with bikes for a very long time, but can’t remember coming across this before.
I have just bought an old steel bike, mostly for the frame and have started to strip it down. The last job was to be removing the chainset, but when I removed the nut holding it onto the axle I found this.
If I have seen this before it would have been yonks ago and would have probably tried to hit it off with a hammer, but I have grown up since then.
So guys and girls, how am I to remove it. If it's like anything else on the bike it will be tight.
We miss you Brucy.
Beauty will save the world.
rjb

Re: Unusual (to me) bottom bracket axle removal.

Post by rjb »

An appropriate crank removal tool should fit. If you don't have one a puller may suffice.

Like this. Lots of others available. https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DCh ... g96BAgBEC8
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
slowster

Post by slowster »

It's just a square taper bottom bracket axle with an extenal thread on the axle which accepts a nut, which used to be the norm prior to most manufacturers switching to axles with an internal thread which accept a bolt. A standard square taper crank extractor is the tool needed. Observe the usual caveat to make sure the extractor threads are fully engaged in the crank before applying force to remove the crank.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Unusual :lol:
You’ve made me feel very old or you are nowt but a nipper.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Paulatic wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 10:59am Unusual :lol:
You’ve made me feel very old or you are nowt but a nipper.
That made me laugh. I am 74 maybe my memory isn't what it used to be.
Anyway, as you guys said, it was easy to remove with the usual tool.
Sometimes I have trouble thinking inside the box, never mind about outside.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I know the early Campag axles had threaded ends, but never used one myself, though did use plenty of the others.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

The early (possibly all?) Campag titanuim square taper axles were solid with threaded ends for a nut. I found this out when a customer inherited a campag equipped bike (pre sealed BB units), and asked to have the "cheap" BB axle replaced (he had seen the nut on the end). I removed the axle, it weighed as though it was made of plastic, realised it was titanium, so put it pack in and explained to the customer why I put it back..
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

PT1029 wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 2:56pmThe early (possibly all?) Campag titanuim square taper axles were solid with threaded ends for a nut. I found this out when a customer inherited a campag equipped bike (pre sealed BB units), and asked to have the "cheap" BB axle replaced (he had seen the nut on the end). I removed the axle, it weighed as though it was made of plastic, realised it was titanium, so put it pack in and explained to the customer why I put it back..
Those Campagnolo Ti square taper axles had a bit of a reputation for breaking. I can remember that Laurent Fignon, early in his career, was away on his own in a race but lost it because he had a heavy fall when his Super Record Ti BB axle broke.

p.s. Just did a quick Google search and found an article about the incident: https://inrng.com/2012/08/1982-fignon/.
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

The first Campagnolo Super Record titanium axles had a female thread, these were weak and prone to failure as Mr Fignon found to his cost!
They changed the design to male thread and a nut, before doing away with titanium axles altogether until the relaunch of Super Record 11 speed