Nominate a good QR lever.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gregoryoftours

Re: Nominate a good QR lever.

Post by gregoryoftours »

Yes, a decent internal cam skewer all the way. Can't go wrong with Shimano. I actively avoid external cam skewers.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

I've got hex key skewers on one of my bikes. I had intended to get the ones with a security key, but I just know what would happen to the key when I needed it most!
The hex key skewers are cheap, provide a little bit more security than the standard QR and don't seem to make much difference to the time taken to get the wheel on or off, given that there is a certain amount of adjusting required to get the QR levers to tighten properly, so I'm thinking of fitting them to my other bikes.
https://www.halowheels.com/shop/compone ... ey-skewers
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

flat tyre wrote: 9 Dec 2021, 1:37pm I've got hex key skewers on one of my bikes. I had intended to get the ones with a security key, but I just know what would happen to the key when I needed it most!
The hex key skewers are cheap, provide a little bit more security than the standard QR and don't seem to make much difference to the time taken to get the wheel on or off, given that there is a certain amount of adjusting required to get the QR levers to tighten properly, so I'm thinking of fitting them to my other bikes.
I've used Halo hex key skewers a few times. No problems.

Jonathan
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Jdsk wrote: 9 Dec 2021, 1:38pm
flat tyre wrote: 9 Dec 2021, 1:37pm I've got hex key skewers on one of my bikes. I had intended to get the ones with a security key, but I just know what would happen to the key when I needed it most!
I've used Halo hex key skewers a few times. No problems.

Jonathan
until you discover that either the 'nut' or your hex key has started to round off and you cant't undo it when you need to! I use them as 'micro' security on my touring machines where speed isn't important and i'm quite likely to have some 'get out of jail' tools along, everything else runs Q/R's which i've never had fail, unlike 'security' skewers and even nutted systems. :)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

Worth bearing in mind that internal cam QR's don't ' interface very well with some drop out designs.

Ie, they will work, but the lever may have to sit at a sub-optimal position.