Dawes Galaxy refurbish - old Brifters - 105 FD

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
LittleGreyCat

Re: Dawes Galaxy refurbish - old Brifters - 105 FD

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Looking at
https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/stor ... 00-ENG.pdf
For the ST-3303 (7) - which I assume is roughly equivalent to my ST-3304 (7).
Front derailleur FD-3303
Bottom Bracket BB-UN52 (which I'm 99% sure is what I fitted).

So potentially I could go with a FD-3303 or FD-3304 if they were still available.
Searching so far seems to indicate they are (permanently?) out of stock.

Is there an equivalence table for a more modern FD which would be compatible?
I'm assuming that 7 or 8 speed would be fine.
I'm not sure about 9 speed.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

You do have the same chainset and BB length from before your fitted the STi don't you? If that worked then you have a start. Is the stop on the front mech set right? Take the cable off, push the mech over until just a touch before fouling the crank and set the stop screw accordingly. Taking the Sti out of the system at least checks that youbhaven't missed something such as the wrong length BB.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

colin54 wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 10:07pm
LittleGreyCat wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 6:49pm

.....and a cartridge bottom bracket because the original BB was well thrashed.
This was fitted but then work ceased.

Highest position fouls the pedal and biggest front cog.
I assume you mean the FD outer cage is fouling the crank; I wonder if your replacement bottom bracket is the correct length for the chain - set fitted.
It sounds like you may have multiple issues, adjustments / component mismatches possibly, if you could list the numbers as I mentioned above when you find them, and go from there, you may need to measure the replacement bottom bracket over the ends of the spindle - remove cranks; (or compare it to the old one if you still have it) if adjustment / lubrication etc doesn't fix it.
[/quote

Edit ; Re - Bottom bracket spindle length relates to type of chainset, not front derailleur (which is what I wrote), apologies if this has caused the OP any confusion. :oops:
Nu-Fogey
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Front indexing is an absolute pain to set up and would be unnecessary on a double chainset, except that STI gives no other option because the levers need to work similarly on the left and right.

I have ST-3300 shifters on one bike. The front mech needs more tension than you might expect, and the trim positions (which are only selectable after changing ring; they effectively dial back the change a bit) complicate matters. It does work without rub when set up but is not as easy or intuitive as a friction front shifter.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

mattsccm wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 5:30pm You do have the same chainset and BB length from before your fitted the STi don't you? If that worked then you have a start. Is the stop on the front mech set right? Take the cable off, push the mech over until just a touch before fouling the crank and set the stop screw accordingly. Taking the Sti out of the system at least checks that you haven't missed something such as the wrong length BB.
I have the same chainset (replaced large front ring like for like).

I have a cartridge bottom bracket which is a replacement for the original cup and cone.
As far as I can recall this was the correct replacement for length.
I can't find the old "axle" which is unusual for me as I rarely throw anything away.
I still have the screw in cups which I used for cleaning up the threads.

Further information - on the lowest click the FD is touching the frame at the moment, which is probably too far in.

My main issue with visualising it all is that I haven't moved the FD (as far as I can tell) yet each time I free something off it behaves in unpredictable ways.

I am reluctant to remove it because that is yet another change, but I seem to be heading ion that direction if only to try and find the model number on the inside of the FD.
rjb

Post by rjb »

The front derailleur may have the model number written on the back of the cage. Clean it up and have a look. Easier than removing it to check. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
slowster

Post by slowster »

LittleGreyCat wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 12:37pm I have a cartridge bottom bracket which is a replacement for the original cup and cone.
As far as I can recall this was the correct replacement for length.
Measure the chainline, either as shown in the link below using just a ruler, or measure the distance from middle ring to seat tube and add half the diameter of the seat tube (i.e. measure the tube with a caliper).

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainline.html
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Dawes Galaxys from the 1990s use a mountain bike FD, as does my Horizon, and a mountain bike chainset too. These FDs don't work with road brifters because they need more cable pull. They work fine with road downtube shifters which have no indexing. I don't know the vintage of your Galaxy though if it had a cup and cone BB it sounds older than my Horizon. You can reduce the length of the lever arm on some of these FDs by attaching the cable to the other side of the cable anchor bolt and thus get more travel though the downside is more resistance and more force on the brifter lever. Your FD may well be old - I have replacement rings, wheels, RD and brakes etc. on the Horizon but same chainset and FD.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

NetworkMan wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 2:31pm Dawes Galaxys from the 1990s use a mountain bike FD, as does my Horizon, and a mountain bike chainset too. These FDs don't work with road brifters because they need more cable pull. They work fine with road downtube shifters which have no indexing. I don't know the vintage of your Galaxy though if it had a cup and cone BB it sounds older than my Horizon. You can reduce the length of the lever arm on some of these FDs by attaching the cable to the other side of the cable anchor bolt and thus get more travel though the downside is more resistance and more force on the brifter lever. Your FD may well be old - I have replacement rings, wheels, RD and brakes etc. on the Horizon but same chainset and FD.
IMG20211206151428.jpg
As far as I can tell this is a road FD.
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Yes, looks like it - 105 should be. You now need to check that you have a road chainline. Do you have the number of the chainset (or was it upthread)? Does it look as if the curvature of the big rig matches that on the outer cage plate on the FD? What rings do you have? Are they (say) 48-38-28 like my Horizon had or larger like a road bike may well have had?
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

NetworkMan wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 3:27pm Yes, looks like it - 105 should be. You now need to check that you have a road chainline. Do you have the number of the chainset (or was it upthread)? Does it look as if the curvature of the big rig matches that on the outer cage plate on the FD? What rings do you have? Are they (say) 48-38-28 like my Horizon had or larger like a road bike may well have had?
Biggest ring is 52 - a bit cold and dark outside to count the other two.
I'm not sure where I would find the number of the chainset but the big ring is a replacement Shimano sourced by me long, long ago.
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

LittleGreyCat wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 5:54pm As far as I can tell this is a road FD.
Agreed. I believe that to be an FD-5503 meaning it is definitely STI compatible. It will also mean that it is from a 9 speed groupset which might make setup without chainrub slightly harder if using an ‘8 speed’ chain but I doubt that is the main issue you are facing at the moment - so I’ll step back and let those with more experience of those shifters continue to help.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Thanks for the input so far.
I've been away doing other things for a while.

I think this should be a 7 speed derailleur given the general age of everything but impossible to tell until I get to properly look inside for the number.