quill stem dimension

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jawaka

quill stem dimension

Post by jawaka »

I am renovating my first adult bike, a simple mountain bike cost me £200 in 1993. It had fallen into a sad, unused state in my son's garage. I might turn it into the winter and touring bike as it has all the braze-ons. Very satisfying to see it returning to health. It doesn't need much work, only new front brake arms as the plastic ring screw adjustment was broken and new stem and bars which are rusted. Otherwise everything else working smoothly, A humbrol enamel is a good colour match for the touching -up . The other components have cleaned up well. Glad it hasn't ended up in a skip, because I couldn't see anyone buying it

I'm looking at a quill stem such as this but I don't know what the figure of 80 and 100mm mean. They can't be length , too small, but can't be diameter as they are too big.
Thanks
richardfm

Re: quill stem dimension

Post by richardfm »

This article has information about the important dimensions for stems bike.bikegremlin.com/3729/bicycle-stem-size-standards/
Richard M
Cardiff
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

jawaka wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 11:08am
I'm looking at a quill stem such as this but I don't know what the figure of 80 and 100mm mean. They can't be length , too small, but can't be diameter as they are too big.
Thanks
Usually for stems, the numbers mean the forward reach. Measured from the steering axis to the handlebars. 80mm being a little closer (by 20mm) to the saddle than 100mm. Traditionally, this would be for a "racing" bike, with the top of the stem being horizontal.

You may also want to consider "rise" in the vertical direction, though a quill has some adjustment vertically by sliding up/down, its usually a fairly small range of changes.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

jawaka wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 11:08amI'm looking at a quill stem such as this but I don't know what the figure of 80 and 100mm mean.
Is there a missing link or image?

Thanks

Jonathan
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

80mm and 100mm are quite common reaches for stems so it's almost certainly that. Measured centre to centre steerer to bar. Older xc MTBs tended to have longer stems than nowadays, for example my '92 MTB was specced with a 120mm stem. These days more common is 40-60mm
rjb

Post by rjb »

Some early MTB's had a fork column of 21.15mm diameter. Slightly narrower than the iso standard of 22.2mm. Finding a replacement stem this size is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I had to ream mine out to take a standard iso stem. :wink:
If you have a spare iso stem lying around check it will fit in the fork column before upgrading your bike. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Forward reach and height above minimum insertion line, or total height ?
Nitto list total height in the model numbers on some of their quill stems. e.g. NTC150 linked here, and specify different reaches available in that length.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/stems/50-ni ... -mm-clamp/
Nu-Fogey