Hollowtech Bottom Bracket Sleeve

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
richardfm

Hollowtech Bottom Bracket Sleeve

Post by richardfm »

I was assembling a Hollowtech bottom bracket on a new frame earlier today. The bb is supplied with a sleeve that should fit in the shell, but it doesn't because the screw for the cable guide under the bb shell protudes too far.
Does it matter that I have assembled it without the sleeve?
Richard M
Cardiff
Jdsk

Re: Hollowtech Bottom Bracket Sleeve

Post by Jdsk »

Which model, please?

Jonathan
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

It says BB-RS500 on it. This one I think https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHIMANO-BB-RS5 ... B07NYV28VL
Richard M
Cardiff
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Doesn’t matter to me as I’ve fitted them without a sleeve. If you were really bothered you could have cut the protruding end of the screw off.
I think they’re just there to stop internal water and dirt if you have a frame with insides like that.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Paulatic wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 9:21pm Doesn’t matter to me as I’ve fitted them without a sleeve. If you were really bothered you could have cut the protruding end of the screw off.
I think they’re just there to stop internal water and dirt if you have a frame with insides like that.
It did occur to me that I could remove the screw and replace it with a shorter one, or cut it, but then I thought that not having the sleeve probably won't cause any problems.
Last edited by richardfm on 5 Dec 2021, 9:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard M
Cardiff
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Shimano's instructions:

• If the frame has openings inside the bottom bracket shell, it should be installed with the inner cover sleeve to prevent possible contamination.
• If the frame has no openings inside the bottom bracket shell, it can be installed without the inner cover sleeve.

https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/stor ... 01-ENG.pdf

Jonathan
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 9:31pm Shimano's instructions:

• If the frame has openings inside the bottom bracket shell, it should be installed with the inner cover sleeve to prevent possible contamination.
• If the frame has no openings inside the bottom bracket shell, it can be installed without the inner cover sleeve.

Jonathan
May be I should find a shorter screw or shorten the existing one.
Richard M
Cardiff
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

richardfm wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 9:42pm

That's what I'd do regardless... but are there any (other) openings?

Jonathan
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 9:46pm
richardfm wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 9:42pm

That's what I'd do regardless... but are there any (other) openings?

Jonathan
Good question...I assumed there would be where the seat tube and down tube meet the bb shell, I'll have to dissassemble it to check...and while I'm doing that I may as well sort the screw out.
Richard M
Cardiff
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I've used the shortest screw I had and a presta valve nut as a spacer for the screw.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Cut a slot in the sleeve to accomodate the screw?I once kept a cable guide in place with bathroom mastic,stayed there for years.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

cyclop wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 7:28am Cut a slot in the sleeve to accomodate the screw?I once kept a cable guide in place with bathroom mastic,stayed there for years.
I did think about cutting a slot but that would harm the integrity of the sleeve and defeat the point of having it.
Richard M
Cardiff
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

richardfm wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 11:15am
cyclop wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 7:28am Cut a slot in the sleeve to accomodate the screw?I once kept a cable guide in place with bathroom mastic,stayed there for years.
I did think about cutting a slot but that would harm the integrity of the sleeve and defeat the point of having it.
Yes,I get that.If the sleeve is plastic,can you drill a hole,6mm or so to accomodate the screw then work the sleeve over and into the bb.Or cut the slot,install and fill the slot with mastic,silicon.Messy,yes.Shorten the screw.Brilliant idea :idea: Take the screw out,install the sleeve,sharpen the screw,refit the screw which will pierce the plastic and form a snug fit around the screw.(or drill a pilot hole taking care not to damage the threads in the bb)
peetee

Post by peetee »

Remove the screw, clean the guide and bottom bracket and replace the guide using double-sided tape or epoxy to hold it in place.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'd use a shorter screw or shorten this one.

If you're not familiar with doing this: run a nut up the thread first, cut to length, then run the nut back and off to reform the end in case it was damaged during cutting.

Jonathan