Hollowtech Bottom Bracket Sleeve

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
peetee

Re: Hollowtech Bottom Bracket Sleeve

Post by peetee »

I suppose we should establish whether the guide is held with a (self tapping) screw or a bolt. :?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

I just put a washer under the screw head. That shortened the length of screw going through the hole sufficiently.
Richard M
Cardiff
Ray

Post by Ray »

peetee wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 9:28am Remove the screw, clean the guide and bottom bracket and replace the guide using double-sided tape or epoxy to hold it in place.
Yes. Double-sided carpet tape works well - and probably provides a water-tight seal. In case you're concerned about how secure this might be, remember that the gear cables are under tension and will help to hold the guide in place.
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

richardfm wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 1:52pm I just put a washer under the screw head. That shortened the length of screw going through the hole sufficiently.
That's good. The sleeve should always be kept intact wherever possible. The fact that it fits into the bearing assemblies with o-rings shows that it is designed to keep debris and moisture from reaching the bearings from inside the frame.

This can be rust/corrosion, water from openings in the frame but also from internal condensation. The latter can be caused by rapid temperature changes like bringing your bike into the house or a warm garage after a cold ride.
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

richardfm wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 9:04pmI was assembling a Hollowtech bottom bracket on a new frame earlier today. The bb is supplied with a sleeve that should fit in the shell, but it doesn't because the screw for the cable guide under the bb shell protudes too far.
Does it matter that I have assembled it without the sleeve?
If the frame is one that has cables that are routed internally, and the cable/hose for the rear derailleur and possibly rear disc brake pass through the BB shell (I have a Dolan disc frame where this is the case), then the sleeve should definitely be installed to prevent the turning axle wearing away the cable/hose. But it sounds from your description that the cables run externally. Having the sleeve installed should also help prevent rusting of the axle inside the BB should moisture get into the frame.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

I would install the sleeve. Dirty water always finds its way into the BB shell and having an exposed spindle rotating in there is just going to flick that around everywhere. Having the spindle protected with the sleeve of going to at least stop that being flicked all around into the cups.

Maybe it won’t make any difference but there is a reason they exist and this could be it…