Bike with springy suspension

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
peanut

Bike with springy suspension

Post by peanut »

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a bike that as really springy suspension that is comfortable even in off-road cycling?

I have seen some with more than one springs on the front with small wheels. That would work for me.

I have also heard than downhill bikes have very reactive suspension.

Please do let me know.
Thx
Maillot Rouge

Re: Bike with springy suspension

Post by Maillot Rouge »

‘Really springy’ defeats the object of suspension forks.I doubt you’d get anything decent for 20” wheels.The suspension on kids bikes isn’t a priority so they’re generally not the best.
You don’t need a downhill bike to get decent suspension but you do have to pay for it.
A decent downhill bike will be £3k minimum as the fork alone will be £1k+ but the geometry is wrong for anything other than DH.
Under 27.5”/650b and you’re struggling to get anything half decent suspension wise.They tend to be purely cosmetic.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

I'd recommend you read the replies to the other two threads you've started over the past couple of months One of them was about front forks and someone posted you a link to some which could be what you're looking for on the bike you're after. If you acknowledge those responses, you could also take the opportunity to provide more info so people can better assist you.
peanut

Post by peanut »

Thanks for all your replies. I'm looking to order Heir front forks as they have a top notch reputation but I'm not sure if they will achieve the ride comfort I'm looking for.
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

What are you looking for exactly?
You’ve said springy.Springy does not equal comfort.Springy is what cheap and nasty forks are.
You need to be specific.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

My experience is you need to look at the whole bike to maximize comfort.
Fattish tyres (+2"/+50mm) with supple sidewalls (high TPI count) run at the correct pressure (~50-60 psi) with remove most, if not all, of the road buzz caused by bad chip and seal on tarmac or gravel om a macadam track.
That leaves the frame suspension to only needing to cope with the larger bumps caused by stones/pot holes.
With less to do, it's easier to tweak the suspension to maximize comfort.
It may help to do a trial ride on a true "fat bike" and see if the 4" tyres help to smooth the ride out enough.

Luck ........... :D