Stronglight Impact Chainset

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
JohnW

Stronglight Impact Chainset

Post by JohnW »

I am fitting new chainsets to my bikes, and am considering fitting a Stronglight Impact 46-36-26 to my touring bike.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with this type?

Has anyone had any good experiences with this type?

Johnw
JBB

Re:Stronglight Impact Chainset

Post by JBB »

Fitted one about a month ago onto my existing centaur bottom bracket. Spa cycles were very helpfull confirming what size of bottom bracket I needed ( the existing one was fine in this case). I have doen a few bibbles and one 100k audax since then with no problems. Everthing works jsut fine - including a lwer bottom gear. Stronglight have a good dowmloadable caatalogue on their website which you can use to check compatability.

HTH
Julia
gar

Post by gar »

www.garethhowell.net/3impacttriple.jpg

Should get you there. I hope the jpg is large enough
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

JBB and gar-

Thanks for the comments - the only Sronglight that I've ridden prevuiously were 49Ds, and I have broken four 49D cranks - two were in one accident on ice - how one breaks both cranks in one tumble, I can't explain - and the other two were both left hand and in normal climbing. The breaks all came at the spot where the cranks were impressed with the Stronglight trade mark. Current Stronglight cranks do not have such impressions, and I've heard no bad reports, but I thought I'd just check with a wider circle of riders than just our section.

I will get mine from Spa Cycles, who I also find knowledgable and helpful, and good prices too.

Going over there is also a good excuse for getting out and doing fifty miles.

JohnW
PW

Post by PW »

Things have moved on a bit since the days of the 49D. Their TA equivalent also used to snap - around the pedal holes. The Impact seems fine so far to me, the one caveat is that the recommended B/B length at 110mm makes things a bit tight if you use a Shimano XT front mech. It only just moves far enough inboard to reliably change to the inner ring, a bit of butchery with a file may be in order - or a B/B with a slightly longer axle.
Regarding that front mech, the deep inner cage plate requires at least 12 teeth difference between outer & middle or it fouls the middle ring.