Handlebar bag

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
lardcat

Handlebar bag

Post by lardcat »

Can anyone recommend one?? Must have map case and be waterproof
HACK THE PLANET!
georgew

Post by georgew »

In that case then you can't beat Ortlieb.
George Riches

Post by George Riches »

My Altura map case experience was not good.

I suspect that an effective adhesive for polyethylene is a rare bird, so I would only buy a polyethylene map case with velcro fasteners if the velcro were stitched to the polyethylene (which is not uncommon).
Last edited by George Riches on 13 Aug 2008, 9:49pm, edited 4 times in total.
mikeitup

Bag!

Post by mikeitup »

These look pretty decent for the money :

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/dhb_M ... 360033202/

but if you can afford it get an Ortlieb
Sorry mikeitup. The sig just had to go. The forum staff are revolting ! Graham
DavidT

Handlebar bag

Post by DavidT »

Carradice bags are good quality, and made in Britain. Typically popular with "CTC Types" :lol:

http://www.carradice.co.uk/handlebar-bags/index.html
zenzinnia

Post by zenzinnia »

I've had good experience with my altura. I like the mesh side pockets as they give easy access to small things and the seperate lid pocket to store maps in. The fixing onto the bar is easy to use and secure (I've even got a thing on my MTB so I can use the same bag as a saddle bag). The plastic map holder just fits a folded OS but is beginning to rip down the 'welded' seems. I don't think it's 100% waterproof but nothing has ever got wet and I've riden through attrocious rain with it. I'm not saying it's the best but pointing out some things to look out for.

If buying again I would look for somethig with a better fit for maps and also a way of attaching a light (some have a way of attaching a bar underneath).
BlueMeldon

Post by BlueMeldon »

Hi,

I tried the DHB Marsden, but had to send it back because it does not fit oversize bars - mine have a centre bulge (ITM 30mm centre).
I think standard bars are 25mm......doesn't sound a lot but is matters.
Blue
mikeitup

Post by mikeitup »

BlueMeldon wrote:Hi,

I tried the DHB Marsden, but had to send it back because it does not fit oversize bars - mine have a centre bulge (ITM 30mm centre).
Blue

That's funny because I am after a bar bag and emailed wiggle regarding the marsden barbag as I was worried about the clamps not fitting.
I gave them the diameter of the bars approx 33mm and they replied saying the clamp should fit. Dunno what to do now. :(
mikeitup

Post by mikeitup »

mikeitup wrote:
BlueMeldon wrote:Hi,

Blue

That's funny because I am after a bar bag and emailed wiggle regarding the marsden barbag as I was worried about the clamps not fitting.
I gave them the diameter of the bars approx 33mm and they replied saying the clamp should fit. Dunno what to do now. :(

Took the plunge and ordered a DHB Marsden barbag. Fits my bars fine. It is very good for the money. I am impressed. :D
lloyd

Post by lloyd »

I've a Vaude handlebar bag and while it is totally waterproof it's closure is not the best design at all relying on two velcro straps. I wrap the carrying strap round to secure it otherwise it always comes undone.
bailout

Post by bailout »

mikeitup wrote:Took the plunge and ordered a DHB Marsden barbag. Fits my bars fine. It is very good for the money. I am impressed. :D

Interesting, any more details on the bag or pics of it on your bike? It is certainly a good price for a waterproof barbag. Barbags in general seem to be very expensive for their capacity. I have actually been considering a small basket instead and just putting a waterproof bag in it.

I see from your pic of your bike you got a pair of the mainstream rear panniers. I ordered the last pair from pbk but they had a stock error and didn't actually have any left :( I picked up a pair of the front ones but am kicking myself for not ordering a full set (rear/front/barbag) when I first saw them. Now looking for reasonable priced rear and barbag.
mikeitup

Post by mikeitup »

bailout wrote:
mikeitup wrote:Took the plunge and ordered a DHB Marsden barbag. Fits my bars fine. It is very good for the money. I am impressed. :D

Interesting, any more details on the bag or pics of it on your bike? It is certainly a good price for a waterproof barbag. Barbags in general seem to be very expensive for their capacity. I have actually been considering a small basket instead and just putting a waterproof bag in it.

I see from your pic of your bike you got a pair of the mainstream rear panniers. I ordered the last pair from pbk but they had a stock error and didn't actually have any left :( I picked up a pair of the front ones but am kicking myself for not ordering a full set (rear/front/barbag) when I first saw them. Now looking for reasonable priced rear and barbag.

Check the forum tomorrow. I will take some pics with the barbag on for you to see. The MSX panniers were a right bargain for £33!!!!
Used them in the downpours this week and they have kept whats in them bone dry. For the money the DHB Marsden barbag is a steal.
I was after some of the Mainstream accessories (pannier straps, outer bags and originally the MSX barbag but they are always out of stock :( )
bailout

Post by bailout »

I am interested to hear what you think of the attachment system- does it look very robust? Also what is the material like? I saw one review of the dhb marsden panniers that said the material ws a bit flimsy. As the bargain msx ones seem unlikely to ever be back in stock I was considering the Marsden rears as well as the barbag. Although I see they do non waterproof dhb ones for under £30, so perhaps those with a couple of thick plastic bags.

I must admit that I am not sure about a barbag. I can see it would be useful but it would stop me using my in line brake levers, apparantly can interfere with the gear cables from my shimano sti levers (I am on drops) and would leave nowhere to fit a light. They do seem to be very popular among tour cyclists though.
mikeitup

Post by mikeitup »

bailout wrote:I am interested to hear what you think of the attachment system- does it look very robust? Also what is the material like? I saw one review of the dhb marsden panniers that said the material ws a bit flimsy. As the bargain msx ones seem unlikely to ever be back in stock I was considering the Marsden rears as well as the barbag. Although I see they do non waterproof dhb ones for under £30, so perhaps those with a couple of thick plastic bags.

I must admit that I am not sure about a barbag. I can see it would be useful but it would stop me using my in line brake levers, apparantly can interfere with the gear cables from my shimano sti levers (I am on drops) and would leave nowhere to fit a light. They do seem to be very popular among tour cyclists though.

Will use the barbag tomorrow as I am travelling light to work.
Will sort the pics out later tomorrow.
The Marsden rear panniers had a good review in "Cycling Plus" a few months ago.
I like the look of the Ortliebs but wasn't sure whether I would use the barbag or not and they are £50+ so thought the DHB's would be a good bet to see if a barbag was a viable option.
bigjonnyd

Post by bigjonnyd »

Can anyone tell me if the dhb Marsden uses Klickfix? I ordered one off the net the other day and didn't think about my oversized bar and it doesn't fit. Kinda urgent as if I need to order anything like an oversized bracket then I need to do it today as I am off on Lejog on Saturday (yes I know I've left this one a bit late)!!

Thanks in advance.