Handlebar bag

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Daniel B

Post by Daniel B »

Dean wrote:
Daniel B wrote:Many thanks for that review and the pics Dean,

I've gone and ordered one from Wiggle, primarily to fit to my gf's bike, don't think we will need 2 between us, unless it is really that nice, and then I may indulge :wink:

Cheers

Dan

Why not go the whole hog and fit all the luggage to her bike? :mrgreen:

There's a good plan, I could fit my Ortlieb rears to the front of her bike, and give her my rack bag as well as the handlebar bag :lol:

I'm thinking she won't go for that - Lizzie, if your reading this, please comment, but don't hit me later, twas Dean's fault I tell you! :D
Daniel B

Post by Daniel B »

Well that's impressive, both orders already despatched, despite choosing free delivery, and the 'items in stock' number seems to be working smoothly as well, Wiggle has changed from 1 to 0, and PBK from 3 to 2.

Guess they will be with me early next week, as am having them delivered to work, pobably Monday.

Cheers

Dan
bailout

Post by bailout »

I ordered one of the msx ones as well on Fri morning and it arrived before 9am on Sat. I had got a pair of their front panniers already and was pretty pleased with the quality and the bar bag looks just as well made. The only issue I have with it is the bar fixing. It is very solid and I am sure it will work well but despite being clearly marked with Rixen and Kaul's logo it isn't the same Klickfix design as is on their website. Functionally it looks fine but it means that it isn't compatible with any of the spares or extra brackets that are available for Klickfix.

The 'socket' on the bag is a seperate piece and could easily be unscrewed but the klickfix socket has the fixing holes in a slightly different position so they would be incompatible.

I don't know whether they are a specially made design for msx or whether they are an older range.
Daniel B

Post by Daniel B »

Well they did indeed both arrive yesterday.

Initial impressions are:

Topeak: Nice and compact, well made, big enough, but not too big, map pocket a bit small maybe, and a bit fiddly with how it goes under the carry handle.

Mainstream: Surprised it was red (!) as didn't appear it in the pictures at all, nice and big, quality good, but not ace, but for the money can't argue. Nice big map window, though for the life of me, I can't figure out what the strip of velcro is for on it that runs left to right along the front edge - bailout, do you know what it's for/how to use it?

I think I may fit the mainstream onto my gf's bike (She tends to be the navigator/Map reader extraordinaire) and I may well hang onto the Topeak for my Marin.

Cheers

Dan
bailout

Post by bailout »

Mine is black. I knew they made a red/black version of their bags as I had seen them on the msx site. The pbk site only shows the black and my front panniers were black as well. I wouls have preferred the red/black for increased visibility.

Surprised you weren't completely happy with the build quality. I am new to panniers but have looked at some altura, ortlieb and the topeak bag in shops. I thought the msx stuff looks much better built than the altura fusion and although the ortlieb did look slightly better I didn't think there was much in it. I was pretty gobsmacked at the quality for the price. The barbag seemed very well supported round the top. But being new to it and not actually having any thing to compare to other than brief impressiosn from the shop it is difficult to tell.

As to the velcro, I assume you mean the narrow strip along the opening? It is difficult to describe but I think it is supposed to seal the holder by folding back and sticking to the other strip just below. The strip on the edge is narrower so it would leave some of the other strip to stick to the strip on the other half of the holder to stop it flapping around. But I couldn't say for certain.

I have to say I am still unsure whether I would prefer this one to the Topeak. I think the Topeak is probably the more convenient design but it isn't waterproof. For the price though I am happy. I was buying for a tour through Germany/Austria but that is looking increasingly unlikely so it is probably a bit academic.
Daniel B

Post by Daniel B »

Hi Bailout, that's a shame, looks like we both got the colour the other one wanted :roll:

I didn't mean to say I thought the quality was poor, and it was only on my initial impression, on a second look it does seem very well made and sturdy, just on a short look the Topeak impresses more, but as you say is not waterproof, so more of a faf.

The size of the map window is also about 60% of that that the Mainstream offers.

Sorry to hear your big trip might not be happening, but then maybe you can sort one out for early next year.

Just trying to work out if it is worthwhile sending the actual bags to each other for a swap, and keeping the fittings, or can you not be bothered?

Not sure how much postage would be, maybe £4 or so.

Dan
mikeitup

re

Post by mikeitup »

Just thought I'd say I ordered one of the MSX barbags (glad I did there were only 2 left) as I have a pair of their excellent rear panniers. (and for £21 it's a bargain) Still impressed with the DHB though. My wife can have it on her bike.
Sorry mikeitup. The sig just had to go. The forum staff are revolting ! Graham
Daniel B

Re: re

Post by Daniel B »

mikeitup wrote:Just thought I'd say I ordered one of the MSX barbags (glad I did there were only 2 left) as I have a pair of their excellent rear panniers. (and for £21 it's a bargain) Still impressed with the DHB though. My wife can have it on her bike.

Mike - is yours red or black?!
cranky

Post by cranky »

mikeitup wrote:Just thought I'd say I ordered one of the MSX barbags (glad I did there were only 2 left) as I have a pair of their excellent rear panniers. (and for £21 it's a bargain) Still impressed with the DHB though. My wife can have it on her bike.

I just got the last one, thanks for the heads up :)
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2
Surly Long Haul Trucker
mikeitup

Post by mikeitup »

Daniel B wrote:

Mike - is yours red or black?!

Dunno mate. Not picked it up from the PO yet.
not too fussed to be honest.
mikeitup

red!

Post by mikeitup »

Got my Mainstream MSX barbag today. It's red!!
I have to say I am very impressed with it.
A bit smaller & compact than the DHB (still using it on my bike though) and I like how it opens from the back and not the front like the DHB.
The quality is as good as my MSX panniers and considering how much the MSX stuff costs it's excellent vfm.
Will keep it until I go for a proper tour.
bailout

Post by bailout »

Mike, I am sorry to hear about your disappointment with the msx barbag. I can understand that it not matching the colour of your panniers must be traumatic. Perhaps the best thing for you to do would be to sell your panniers to someone who has a barbag and front panniers that will match? :wink:

btw I did see that the msx site has a shop which sells an extension bracket for the barbag and replacement hooks for the panniers. They ship to the UK at a reasonable cost.

http://mainstream-msx.de/stores/catalog ... db6ba5c1ea
Blackie

Re: Handlebar bag

Post by Blackie »

Hi - can anyone recommend a handlebar bag? I'm riding a stock standard Raleigh Sojourn, but the bars are too thick to take bags I've seen in the shops here in Singapore... any thoughts?
diapason0

Post by diapason0 »

I'm very happy with my Carradice Super C. Waterproof, has a map pocket, side mesh holders for phone etc and a clip-on lamp bracket underneath.
N
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

I have one of these http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... gs-baskets and I am very impressed with it. Not sure how waterproof it is, not used it in heavy rain but it comes with a waterproof cover. It says Supplied with fixings for both standard and oversize bars but mine only had fittings for standard bars. A quick phone call and the other fixings were sent out next day. I think they are made by Vaude.
'Kernow bys Vyken'