Mudflaps.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pedalpower2

Re: Mudflaps.

Post by pedalpower2 »

Chris Judens method looks fiddly and complicated. I'll continue using pop-rivets.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if I said 'stortford style' would this be well known to one and all?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

pedalpower2 wrote:Chris Judens method looks fiddly and complicated. I'll continue using pop-rivets.

Yup, thanks for bringing this to our attention, but apparently summer has started.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

pedalpower2 wrote:Chris Judens method looks fiddly and complicated.

I'd be happy to try it but so far haven't source a truck inner tube. Where do you get them from? I asked for an old tube in KwikFit but they said they didn't do them any more.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

LollyKat wrote:

I'd be happy to try it but so far haven't source a truck inner tube. Where do you get them from? I asked for an old tube in KwikFit but they said they didn't do them any more.

I've always made my mudflaps from cycle inner tube (as I've probably said above...some years ago). They do need doubling in thickness (evostik or similar), but have the advantage that they curve naturally to the shape of your wheel.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/page/find/?name=mudflap
I have the £4 SKS Long on the rear of the trike - extra protection for the trailer (occupants)

As part of a larger order the postage was trivial - I'm tempted to order another 5 (2 for my front wheels, and 3 for MrsBob's trike)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
CJ

Post by CJ »

LollyKat wrote:

Found mine on a verge by the road whilst out cycling. Keep your eyes peeled!

I guess that people who repair old cars, trucks and especially agricultural equipment (on which the tyres run at low pressure so are more likely to have inner tubes) must be a likely source. I don't know for sure my material came from a truck. I guess it might just as likely or more likely have come from a farm trailer etc.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I old plastic bottles, current one is from car antifreeze. it is attached using hot melt glue to the inside of the guard. When cutting out the plastic leave a tongue at the top just slightly smaller than the curved width of the mudguard. then use a glue gun to stick to the inside. If you drill a couple of holes in the tongue the glue will push through and effectively form a plastic rivet. Pushing the mud flap into the mudguard curves the mud flap to the right shape
NUKe

Post by brizgazelle »

I wonder if any kind soul might help me out. I bought an old school mudflap (see image) off Ebay 3 or 4 years ago for my front mudguard and, for some reason, I had to remove it about a year ago; therein lies my problem: I could not recall how it went on and I've tried every permutation of mudguard strut/mudguard fixing/mudflap but have never been able to re-attach it so that it hung correctly.

mudflap.png
mudflap.png (152.43 KiB) Viewed 11081 times
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

do the 'ears' not double over the mudguard stays somehow?

Quite a lot of retro-fit mudguards attach over the outside of the mudguard BTW.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mattyfez

Post by Mattyfez »

What about some black roofing felt, the kind used on garden sheds and the like?
You could cut it to any shape easily.. Your local timber merchant or similar may even have some off cuts that they would probably give away if you ask nicely?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Round my way some new power line poles have been erected. Nailed to them are strips of very reflective plastic. It is perfect for mudflaps :wink:
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Mine's made from a piece of PVC cut from an old 1970s vinyl settee. It's clamped under the stay bracket, if you're drilling and riveting there's no point in putting another set of holes and rivets in.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
freiston

Post by freiston »

Brucey wrote:if I said 'stortford style' would this be well known to one and all?

cheers

No - not even after a few minutes 'research'.

I found this: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58981&p=498471&hilit=stortford#p498471
and I found a US patent (No. 4,625,938; Dec.2, 1986) for a mudflap material invented by Ronald G. Tye of Bishop's Stortford.

Oh go on! Please elaborate :)
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Brucey wrote:if I said 'stortford style' would this be well known to one and all?

google offers me "Style Me Vintage". Somehow, I don't think that's what Brucey meant.

These and these are the only commercially made rear flaps that I've come across that are long enough to protect a following rider or trailer occupants. Put your face where you want to keep clean, and if you can see the tyre past the flap, it's not long enough.