Mudflaps.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
GrahamG

Mudflaps.

Post by GrahamG »

In need of a few mudflaps for the SKS Bluemels on mine and the other half's road bikes, I searched a few retailers and decided the best option was to just buy a rivet gun!

So... where can I get the best plastic for a mudflap? Drinks bottle? It has to be black though..

Apologies for the somewhat bizarre thread but the only online suggestions are ridiculous long flaps of rubber which I just couldn't bring myself to soil these bikes with!
Yorkshireman

Post by Yorkshireman »

If you haven't used the forum search facility give it a shot (entering "mudflaps"). Among many threads you should find this one
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t ... t=mudflaps
which might be useful and contains a link
http://www.anothercyclingforum.com/inde ... c=48272.45
to a lot of background/research regarding mudflap manufacture, materials and theory :wink: .
Colin N.
Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face!
http://www.freewebs.com/yorkshireman1/
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

GrahamG

I do not know if there is an official term for a mudflap expert but Yorkshireman qualifies for the title if it exists. 8) (There would be a lot less work for members group welfare officers if everybody foollowed his lead. :wink: )
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

Damp course material used in the building industry makes good black mudflap material!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

MLJ wrote:Damp course material used in the building industry makes good black mudflap material!

I'll second that :)

PS, Yorkshireman is the undeniable the authority on this extremely technical subject though :)
Yorkshireman

Post by Yorkshireman »

I didn't get where I am ... :lol:
Colin N.
Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face!
http://www.freewebs.com/yorkshireman1/
gaz

Re: Mudflaps.

Post by gaz »

GrahamG wrote:It has to be black though..

Pre-packed cooked meat packaging from local supermarket. Mine's Tesco wafer thin ham. Well a bit of plastic cut out of the back of the packet, not actually a strip of dead pig.
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

Go to your local supermarket and ask at the produce dept. Being a bit cheeky, ask if there can spare a plastic bucket from the flower stand.

A lot of the buckets get send back, but the odd one or two get thrown out if there are broken or cracked.

Worth a try.
CJ

Post by CJ »

Truck and tractor inner-tubes, scavenged from the roadside. Cut the flap from the centre of this thick rubber "hide" and its curvature will nicely correspond with your wheel.

Taking advantage of the elasticity of this material, a suitable flap can be secured on the outside of the mudguard without any drilling, rivets or fasteners of any kind, and with no other tools than a ball-point pen, scissors and a leather punch.

Initially cut a simple rectangular flap, generously longer than you want and plenty wide enough to extend a couple of cm down the stays beyond the mudguard bridge. It can be trimmed later.

Stretch the mudflap slightly around the guard, with the top of the flap 2cm above the lowermost mudguard bridge, and mark slots for this bridge at the edges of the guard proper. Form each slot by making two punched holes and one cut between them.

From here the flap will pass behind the head of the stay drawbolt adjacent to the tyre (this sort of flap won't do when the tyre is already a close fit between the mudguard stays), then fold out again to be pierced by the stay. So also mark and punch a hole for each stay at the ends of the bridge.

Finally trim the flap to your desired shape, ensuring that no hole is less than 15mm from the edge.

To attach: loosen and slide both stays out of their drawbolts, leaving the latter in-situ. Poke one end of the bridge into its slot in the mudflap, stretching so that the drawbolt also passes through the slot which snugs up to the edge of the mudgaurd. Stretch the flap around the guard (stretch it a lot) and insert the other end of the bridge likewise. Fold one edge of the flap outward, beyond the bridge, and poke the corresponding stay through its hole before re-inserting into the drawbolt. Do the same with the other stay. Adjust the positions of both drawbolts and tighten the nuts.

I know, a picture would help. I'll add one later.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
GrahamG

Post by GrahamG »

First of all - apologies for not using the search function, I do normally, honest!

That's a whole lot of great information there, very much appreciated. Since I have two and a half bikes needing them I think I'll try out a couple of the options!
stevew

Post by stevew »

QUOTE "I know, a picture would help. I'll add one later"

Yes please, i can't follow all those words !!
1999 ICE Classic NT
Fort s/s
Brompton
26" Thorn (converted to E-Bike)
The opposite of bravery is not cowardice, but conformity. Robert Anthony
Steve

Post by Steve »

Lino - cut a piece to size from the kitchen floor
CJ

Post by CJ »

stevew wrote:QUOTE "I know, a picture would help. I'll add one later" ... Yes please, i can't follow all those words !!

There you go: the old truck inner-tube, no-drilling, household tools mudflap! :)
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I wonder if there is a thread somewhere on a truckers' forum entitled 'Uses for old inner tubes'? They could pass them on to cyclists as a gesture of reconciliation.

In the meantime, another answer to the members group welfare officer's prayer.
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

I remember mouse mats being suggested before.

But that does pose one question...

...what is the poor mouse suppose to wipe his feet on when he comes in? :D
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)