Brakes on a Galaxy - and more!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Ambermile

Postby Ambermile » 21 Aug 2008, 12:56pm

... wait a bl**dy minute... I'm an engineer... :idea:

Arthur
I make stuff, that's all.

fatboy

Postby fatboy » 21 Aug 2008, 12:58pm

Ambermile wrote:... wait a bl**dy minute... I'm an engineer... :idea:

Arthur

That sounds dangerous......
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 21 Aug 2008, 1:40pm

"BUT why on earth did someone fit callipers ??"

Easier to fit/adjust the pads?

Ambermile

Postby Ambermile » 22 Aug 2008, 12:31pm

OK, so after I replaced the three (yup, three) broken spokes on the front wheel (can't remember the last time I had to raid the cutlery drawer to change a tyre :roll: ), adjusted the brakes, moved the bars round and dropped the seat, I went out for a spin...

Cranks are loose, handlebars look to be at least bent - at worst twisted, offside pedal knackered, SIS out of sync, rear sprocket seemingly buckled (wheel is true), front tyre pretty much perished. Beginning to wonder if this was such a bargain after all! It does seem totally different to the MTB, skittish even (though some of that will be the bars being too far round so I could use the brakes), and I came back out of breath after only five miles :shock:

Somebody tell me it will be alright in the end!

Arthur

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 22 Aug 2008, 12:45pm

"Beginning to wonder if this was such a bargain after all!"

Depends what you paid for it! Below 50 then OK as long as frame is SOUND!

Ambermile

Postby Ambermile » 22 Aug 2008, 12:54pm

The frame's fine, and I have enough bits "laying around" to fix up the other issues... just a bit disheartened when so much seemed to be wrong! I paid £50, and I reckon that I'll have to actually *spend out* only on a couple of tyres... the rest, as I say, is already here 8)

Will have to be stripped and tarted up so looks like it'll be a while before I get to ride it in anger - the Beastie will reign for a while longer :roll:

Arthur
Last edited by Ambermile on 23 Aug 2008, 12:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

CJ

Postby CJ » 22 Aug 2008, 3:24pm

Ambermile wrote:The frame's fine, and I have enough bits "laying around" to fix up the other issues.

In that case £50 still looks like a bargain.

For brakes you'll have a similar problem with modern cantilevers. Ideally you need a pair of old Mafac or Weinmann. I would speculate that something went wrong with the originals on this bike and as they couldn't easily be replaced the owner put on sidepulls. Your best option is to replace those with Tektro R556 dual pivots, which have a genuinely long reach (not the so-called long reach of 57mm, which I call medium reach and won't be enough for a real touring bike) and will be a shoo-in, without any re-cabling or other new parts. See page 58 in current issue of Cycle.

However: sticky old cables and especially their casings, is probably 90% of what's wrong with those sidepulls.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.

djnotts

Postby djnotts » 22 Aug 2008, 4:06pm

I know not my place to disagree with the expert(s), but IMO/E single-side pulls (whayever age) are a poor excuse for braking compared with modern offerings - even centre pull Weinmanns (with V brake blocks) are a much better long-drop solution. And usually pick them up for a tenner a pair. The "750s" will reach just about anything.

aesmith

Postby aesmith » 22 Aug 2008, 8:11pm

I have seen a big increase in braking power with Shimano R450 dual-pivot brakes (£20 from Ribble) compared to my old Weinmann sidepulls. If the frame will take modern recessed allen-screw fitting calipers, then these would be ideal.

Ambermile

Postby Ambermile » 22 Aug 2008, 11:33pm

So this allen-key fitting then... I have an allen head at the rear that is a nut really and it sits in a recess in the back of the forks, the bolt holding the calipers in place screws into this - is this what you mean?

If so then I assume I only need to measure the drop (from the pivot to the pads?) and I should be OK.

Arthur

Ambermile

Postby Ambermile » 23 Aug 2008, 11:42am

After a frenzied attack with a box of spanners, here's the verdict... makes grim reading!

Handlebars bent all ways and back - not got any :(

Brakes - well, you know about them - though they are not as bad as I thought. Still want canti's though to go original :?

Rear mech - shot to hell, pulleys pretty much round and parallelogram has about 1/4" play. I have an Alivio I will use :D

Rear cassette - looks to be fine after all, problem was the mech in the end :D

Front mech - more play than Bungle. I have an XT one here :D

Headset - scary, will not even turn 360 :shock: I have a spare 1" one around here :D

Wheels - back OK, front needs new tyre and had to have three new spokes. I will keep an eye on it :?

Crankset - little gear - teeth sharper than an extra-sharpened sharp thing, but big one OK. Not got anything suitable :(

Crank - seems OK oddly enough :D

Chain - can turn it 90 degrees over 4 inches :shock: Not got one :(

Pedals - will not spin more than a quarter of a turn after a flick :shock: Got a couple here :D

Stem - was rusted in but seems OK now it's out and clean :D

All the cables are bent/rusty/snagging. Gear selectors fine though, brake levers seem OK too. Frame is OK, once the dirt is off, that metallic blue is quite catching. Not sure why someone attempted to add fluoro green highlights to it though :lol:

Looks like I need to find some bars, (I have straights here but they just wouldn't be right), a chain, canti brakes/levers, a small front sprocket and a tyre. Despite earlier misgivings things may turn out OK after all - especially if I can convince the local paintshop that they owe me a favour :twisted:

On the "respray" note, are there frame decals available?

Arthur

Ambermile

Postby Ambermile » 23 Aug 2008, 5:10pm

fatboy wrote:5. Get Tektro CR520 Froglegg style cantis - these are very good

I only know about 5 as I've got these on the front of my tourer and they are great.

8) http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=15921 8)

Arthur

fatboy

Postby fatboy » 24 Aug 2008, 10:15am

Ambermile wrote:
fatboy wrote:5. Get Tektro CR520 Froglegg style cantis - these are very good

I only know about 5 as I've got these on the front of my tourer and they are great.

8) http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=15921 8)

Arthur

Those look like they'll fit narrow canti bosses. I first saw these sorts of brakes on an on-one pomp and was very suspicious! However I now have the CR520s which are great!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly

Ambermile

Postby Ambermile » 24 Aug 2008, 10:20am

Should do, but if not it's a simple job to mill the shoe slots to get a fit. Failing that, it's back to plan B which is to run up a couple of adapters to get the XT V's to fit.

Plenty of time to mess with the brakes since right now the frame is being resprayed (LPG47 - Peugeot Tuscany Green - metallic) 8)

Arthur

Ambermile

Postby Ambermile » 30 Aug 2008, 2:20pm

The story so far... in which we hear that the On One froglegs are going to be fine (at their limit, but fine just the same) and the frame respray looks rather cool 8)

The Shimano SLR levers and the Deda 250 bars looking good also - but how does one decide where the best place for the levers is? Obviously this is a decision best made *before* the tape goes on...

Arthur