Brakes on a Galaxy - and more!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cranky

Postby cranky » 30 Aug 2008, 2:23pm

Lookin' good so far......wot size is that frame ? it looks massive !
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2
Surly Long Haul Trucker

Ambermile

Postby Ambermile » 30 Aug 2008, 2:29pm

cranky wrote:Lookin' good so far......wot size is that frame ? it looks massive !

It is, believe me. Hence the slight "concern" over dangly bits on the frame :shock:

24 1/2" bb to top tube, 23" seatpost to stem... I am a gnats over 6 ft so it just about fits my 35" standover! I'm more worried about the 27" wheels - though I suppose upgrading to 700 is an option in the future.

Arthur
Last edited by Ambermile on 30 Aug 2008, 2:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
I make stuff, that's all.

cranky

Postby cranky » 30 Aug 2008, 2:39pm

When I were a lad we all had bikes that were too big for us. It's amazing how adept you become at leaning your bike over and standing with one foot on a pedal. At least it made sure we had something we could 'grow into'.
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2

Surly Long Haul Trucker

Ambermile

Postby Ambermile » 4 Sep 2008, 3:10pm

We have pneumatic tyres now as well...

Anyway, the story as it stands today. Finally beginning to look like a bike again, have fitted the XT chainset because the Biopace stuff is on a bike I have loaned out - this means 42T big gear rather than the 50T but for now it will do. Neat little pedals fitted, as are the Frogleg brakes and computer (with cadence 8) ). Decided on a new headset after all so a nice little grey anodised Shimano number is on the way. Also, SLR levers fitted and got the Deda bars taped as well - nowhere near as bad a job as I was expecting to be honest though, it went rather well 8) Love that Brooks saddle too, already feels more comfortable than the leather 24/7 one I have on the beastie!

Next is the frame protection (green carbon fibre) and plumbing in the gears and all that cable-type stuff.

Arthur

cranky

Postby cranky » 4 Sep 2008, 3:40pm

Very nice, Arthur...

It looks like you could fit a couple of gallon containers in the frame, better get started on making the bottle cages to suit :)
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2

Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yorkshireman

Postby Yorkshireman » 4 Sep 2008, 4:43pm

Looking good Arthur (and that's a 'proper' head tube as well :wink: ).
Colin N.
Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face!
http://www.freewebs.com/yorkshireman1/

Ambermile

Postby Ambermile » 5 Sep 2008, 6:31pm

Proper? You mean 'uge? Looks about right to me :D

Here's the frame protection added, *real* carbon fibre mind :shock: I was a little concerned about the 3M gluey-type stuff it was attached to but blankets and pooh... 8)

I also started wiring in the gears but have decided (again, au contraire :roll: ) to go with the Biopace after all - will pinch the bits off of the loan bike next week (which means getting the Deore bits off of the Beastie and fiting the XT stuff to it from the Galaxy... Image )

I now have a functioning front brake too!

Arthur

Ambermile

Postby Ambermile » 11 Sep 2008, 11:26am

Well, I finally managed to get hold of a rear hanger (with *huge* thanks to Tad - I owe you one) so here's the rear end stoppers at last. That makes a set 8)

Arthur

Ambermile

Postby Ambermile » 15 Sep 2008, 6:09pm

OK then - tonight I have finally finished the rebuild...

Pointy end...

Blunt end...

Best side?

50/34/24 Biopace, XT front and XT long rear mech

Cockpit

Frogslegs!

Anyway, been out for a spin, as you do - couldn't resist really and, well, to be perfectly honest... I don't like it! Feeling a bit silly now :oops:

Went from this:

to this:

and had a bit of fun along the way, but...

Arthur :cry:

Ambermile

Postby Ambermile » 16 Sep 2008, 7:11pm

OK - I may have been a bit hasty here... the rear sprocket was toast after all, I forgot to change it and so gears were a little lumpy to say the least. Screwed on a spare I had laying around and that sorted things at the back. Altered the bars a little and that sorted the riding position. Got the computer sorted finally (not sure about the cadence but it must be there somewhere) and went out for another spin.

Actually, it is rather an odd feeling to be bowling along quite comfortably and upon looking down, realising you're hitting 20mph when before you'd be on 15 or 16! Rather easy to pedal... but the rear selector slips sometimes, not from top or bottom but if I am in the middle it will drop down given half a chance/slight bump. Might need a new one, which oddly enough I don't have :cry:

Arthur

pigman

Postby pigman » 17 Sep 2008, 8:35am

looks too big for you. I'd worry about your manhood, especially with that slipping gear lever you mentioned.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 17 Sep 2008, 9:01am

Ambermile,

Did you resolve the front rack problem?
Mick F. Cornwall

cranky

Postby cranky » 17 Sep 2008, 9:43am

pigman wrote:looks too big for you. I'd worry about your manhood, especially with that slipping gear lever you mentioned.

I dunno about that. I think it looks like a typical 'old school' bike. Unless I'm much mistaken there's a fistful of seatpost showing, unlike the current fad for compact frames and lowered top-tubes, a lot of which seems to stem from mountain biking. I wonder how many accidents there really were with top tubes on road bikes and 'dangly bits', because I suspect if you have a look through some old (~20 years ago) CTC mags you'll see plenty of bikes set up like Arthur's.
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2

Surly Long Haul Trucker

Ambermile

Postby Ambermile » 17 Sep 2008, 2:52pm

cranky wrote:
pigman wrote:looks too big for you. I'd worry about your manhood, especially with that slipping gear lever you mentioned.

I dunno about that. I think it looks like a typical 'old school' bike. Unless I'm much mistaken there's a fistful of seatpost showing, unlike the current fad for compact frames and lowered top-tubes, a lot of which seems to stem from mountain biking

Hmm - I am a gnat's over 6 foot tall, with things where they are it is comfortable for me - dangly bits aside :shock: I can stand over the thing without discomfort but I wouldn't want to slip whilst doing so! Old school it certainly is - 531ST frame puts it possibly 1983 onwards.

Mick F wrote:Ambermile,

Did you resolve the front rack problem?

Sort of Mick - it's clamped securely now and the bottom attachment point pretty much stops it twisting anyway.

Arthur

Yorkshireman

Postby Yorkshireman » 17 Sep 2008, 7:28pm

Well done Arthur. Looks very smart indeed ... Mudguards and flaps fitting next weekend ? :twisted: :wink:

Errr! That funny coloured bottle cage ... ?
Colin N.
Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face!
http://www.freewebs.com/yorkshireman1/