Tricross / SKS mudguards interface

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
User avatar
Regurgatron
Posts: 71
Joined: 28 Mar 2008, 12:37pm

Tricross / SKS mudguards interface

Postby Regurgatron » 9 Sep 2008, 10:18pm

Hello.

I've ordered a Specialized Tricross through the Cycle to Work Scheme.

The man in the shop reckons I won't be able to fit mudguards (they stock SKS) onto the bike. Surely not? Lots of massive tyre clearance on the Tricross, I reckons.

Any Tricross riders out there who can shed light?

Thank you.

Goodbye.

thirdcrank
Posts: 30877
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Postby thirdcrank » 9 Sep 2008, 10:29pm

There seem to be different models.

This one certainly has mudguard eyes and fitting points for front and rear racks.

Russell160
Posts: 286
Joined: 4 Apr 2008, 6:36pm

Postby Russell160 » 9 Sep 2008, 10:37pm

Not sure but I have heard of similar problems before with Specialised bikes. . Could try a search of this site.
If stuck, you can always use Raceblades: these clip on and avoid any clearance problems. See bikeradar under mudguards or similar.

User avatar
Paul Smith SRCC
Posts: 1111
Joined: 13 Feb 2007, 10:59am
Location: I live in Surrey, England
Contact:

Re: Tricross / SKS mudguards interface

Postby Paul Smith SRCC » 10 Sep 2008, 8:26am

Regurgatron wrote:Hello.

I've ordered a Specialized Tricross through the Cycle to Work Scheme.

The man in the shop reckons I won't be able to fit mudguards (they stock SKS) onto the bike. Surely not? Lots of massive tyre clearance on the Tricross, I reckons.

Any Tricross riders out there who can shed light?

Thank you.

Goodbye.

The fork crown is deep so you need a longer bolt to go through, that aside I have fitted guards to plenty, it is often one reason that bike has been chosen in the first place

Paul_Smith

chris 222

Re: Tricross / SKS mudguards interface

Postby chris 222 » 10 Sep 2008, 8:41pm

The fork crown is deep so you need a longer bolt to go through, that aside I have fitted guards to plenty, it is often one reason that bike has been chosen in the first place

Paul_Smith


I used the same method of fixing them - good choice off bike for commuting

jam05
Posts: 153
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 9:19am

Postby jam05 » 10 Sep 2008, 9:05pm

Yes they will fit, just need a longer bolt like everyone else has said. I have SKS full mudguards on my Tricross. No problem.

User avatar
Regurgatron
Posts: 71
Joined: 28 Mar 2008, 12:37pm

Postby Regurgatron » 11 Sep 2008, 9:10pm

Thanks for the advice all!

maxy
Posts: 1
Joined: 3 Jan 2009, 3:42am

Front SKS mudguard fitting for Tricross

Postby maxy » 3 Jan 2009, 4:01am

Where the front mudguard bracket is secured by the allen bolt at the front fork crown, it is in a triangular recess. Yes , a longer bolt is required as you say, but the squarish bracket on the mudguard wont sit in the triangular recess. Have you come across this problem? I was thinking of elongating the hole or filing off the corners of the bracket. Could I fit it to the front of the fork crown ? ( won't look as good though)

ddddddd
Posts: 172
Joined: 14 Nov 2007, 12:16pm

Re: Front SKS mudguard fitting for Tricross

Postby ddddddd » 3 Jan 2009, 10:30am

maxy wrote: Could I fit it to the front of the fork crown ?

There is no reason not to. You don't even have a brake bolted there to concern you.

ed_o_brain
Posts: 102
Joined: 5 Jan 2007, 5:32pm

Re: Front SKS mudguard fitting for Tricross

Postby ed_o_brain » 14 Jan 2009, 11:42am

maxy wrote:Where the front mudguard bracket is secured by the allen bolt at the front fork crown, it is in a triangular recess. Yes , a longer bolt is required as you say, but the squarish bracket on the mudguard wont sit in the triangular recess. Have you come across this problem? I was thinking of elongating the hole or filing off the corners of the bracket. Could I fit it to the front of the fork crown ? ( won't look as good though)



Faced with the same problem, I thought I would do just as you have suggested mounting the mudguard to the front of the fork crown. It's not very elegant tho, so I'd appreciate and other suggestions?
It's not what you ride... it's how you ride it

User avatar
EdinburghFixed
Posts: 2375
Joined: 24 Jul 2008, 7:03pm

Postby EdinburghFixed » 14 Jan 2009, 11:51am

The recessed brake bolt is also a problem on my bike, which has SKS mudguards.

I simply used a cable tie right around the fork (just under the lower race, threaded through the mudguard eyelet).

If you go to this topic and look at the fourth photo down, you can just see the cable-tie at the bottom-left.

It's given me no trouble.

kevinn123
Posts: 18
Joined: 13 Jun 2008, 2:00pm

Postby kevinn123 » 14 Jan 2009, 12:06pm

I fitted SKS's to my single speed without too much problem

for the recessed brake bolt I fitted it the other way wrong, with the nut at the front - meant I could get the allen key in at the back

User avatar
Paul Smith SRCC
Posts: 1111
Joined: 13 Feb 2007, 10:59am
Location: I live in Surrey, England
Contact:

Postby Paul Smith SRCC » 14 Jan 2009, 1:48pm

kevinn123 wrote:I fitted SKS's to my single speed without too much problem

for the recessed brake bolt I fitted it the other way wrong, with the nut at the front - meant I could get the allen key in at the back

Fitting like that with the nut at the front is a good idea as that side it is not recessed, it is bit more difficult to locate the nut in the recessed hole on the down tube side of the fork crown.

Paul_Smith
Touring Tips

dwcassidy
Posts: 1
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 8:43am

sks sizing on Tricross?

Postby dwcassidy » 19 Feb 2009, 8:48am

I'm having a challenge with the 45mm sks chromoplastic mudguards fitting on my '08 Tricross. I can work out the longer bolt for the front fork, but the rear guard doesn't seem to fit. The brackets are not long enough to give enough space for tyre clearance.

I think I'll need to purchase the 50mm guards, but according the the sks website, the 45mm should fit.

Thoughts?

User avatar
Paul Smith SRCC
Posts: 1111
Joined: 13 Feb 2007, 10:59am
Location: I live in Surrey, England
Contact:

Re: sks sizing on Tricross?

Postby Paul Smith SRCC » 19 Feb 2009, 9:53am

dwcassidy wrote:I'm having a challenge with the 45mm sks chromoplastic mudguards fitting on my '08 Tricross. I can work out the longer bolt for the front fork, but the rear guard doesn't seem to fit. The brackets are not long enough to give enough space for tyre clearance.

I think I'll need to purchase the 50mm guards, but according the the sks website, the 45mm should fit.

Thoughts?

Even the 35mm fit so you should not be having a problem, can you take a picture to clarify? As bracket length normally reduces tyre clearance by dropping guard down to tyre where as you seem to be stating vice versa

Paul_Smith
Touring Tips