Carradice saddle bags

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fatboy

Carradice saddle bags

Post by fatboy »

I really fancy getting one of these after the Cycle article about travelling light. None of my local shops stock these so I can't go and have a look and it seems to be a complex old business.

Firstly I don't have bag loops on my saddle (there seem to be several options but I don't know which one to chose)
Secondly I don't understand all the supports, quick release structures etc. I have a rack on my bike so I suspect that the bag could just sit on this but I don't know. Will they just flop about if I'm not careful?
Thirdly if I didn't get a quick release structure how quick and easy is it to take the bag off and put it back on.
Finally how much useful space is there in say a 15 litre bag?

Any pointers in this would be much appreciated.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
pigman

Post by pigman »

good call Fatboy. I just read the same article and wondered too.
I'm using a Flite titanium racing saddle, so fixing might be tough.
AndyB

Re: Carradice saddle bags

Post by AndyB »

fatboy wrote:Firstly I don't have bag loops on my saddle (there seem to be several options but I don't know which one to chose)
Secondly I don't understand all the supports, quick release structures etc. I have a rack on my bike so I suspect that the bag could just sit on this but I don't know. Will they just flop about if I'm not careful?
Thirdly if I didn't get a quick release structure how quick and easy is it to take the bag off and put it back on.
Finally how much useful space is there in say a 15 litre bag?

If you have a rack, it's quite simple, as the bagman and SQR systems are unnecessary. All you need is something to attach the bag to the saddle. I have done this by just doing the buckles round the saddle rails, and it works, but isn't ideal. One of the fittings from Carradice should do the job. I have the standard clamp, which is heavy and tricky to clamp on to the saddle, but once there does the job fine. It isn't a big job unbuckling the straps to take on and off, but if you're doing it regularly, consider the quick release version (but note you'll need some space on the parallel section of your saddle rails, behind the seatpost clamp, about 5 or 7mm by memory). There are also any number of DIY options possible.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

So with a rack I don't need anything other than, perhaps, some loops?

AndyB wrote: (but note you'll need some space on the parallel section of your saddle rails, behind the seatpost clamp, about 5 or 7mm by memory). There are also any number of DIY options possible.

My saddle is fairly well forward so the quick release clamp may not work for me.

Another question has popped into my head and it's this. They talk about saddlebags with support and without support. If I use it with saddle loops, on a rack which do I need?
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
flashman

Post by flashman »

I have a Carradice Camper Long flap which I use in conjunction with the quick release bracket. It all works a treat and can easily be used with race type saddles as the QR bracket just clamps securely to the saddle rails with an allen key bolt arrangement (no saddle loops required). The quick release bit refers to the way the saddlebag is released from the bracket, ideal if you are leaving the bike outside chained up somewhere and quickly wish to whip the bag off for security. I can't sing the praises of this kit enough. Use mine for everday commuting, audaxing and light touring.
www.bikeplus.co.uk are a good supplier in addition to the official Carradice shop/site.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

And yet another subsiduary question! Can I still put panniers on the rack with one of these bags resting there? I guess that I may need to move them back a bit.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

fatboy wrote:So with a rack I don't need anything other than, perhaps, some loops?

Another question has popped into my head and it's this. They talk about saddlebags with support and without support. If I use it with saddle loops, on a rack which do I need?

I think the rack is the support (it is possible to just hang the bag from loops and ride), so yes - you just need loops. Depending upon how you pack the bag, and the height between your saddle and rack, you might not even need them. I've found the page of DIY options someone once posted - the third option looks neat, but for my bike I need the bag a bit higher, which the Carradice clamp achieves.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

fatboy wrote:And yet another subsiduary question! Can I still put panniers on the rack with one of these bags resting there? I guess that I may need to move them back a bit.

You can (my wife used this on our last tour), but it doesn't work too well if the panniers are packed above the height of the rack. Again, it depends a bit on the height between rack and saddle (the taller you are, the easier it is!).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've posted so often on here about the wonders of the Carradice Camper and bemoaning the absence of bagloops on saddles that I'll break the habits of a lifetime and desist.

On a couple of points that have arisen above:

A saddlebag of this type gets its own support from the wooden rod which runs across its whole width where the straps are fitted at the top. So, any additional support is really only to keep it off your mudguard (or back wheel.)

For somebody who already had rear panniers and who felt they needed extra carrying capacity for the occasional kitchen sink, I would recommend front low-riders rather than a Camper on top. The latter is possible but my own subjective feeling is that if you are carrying that amount of gear it is better distributed fore and aft rather than all being concentrated at the back.
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

thirdcrank wrote:
For somebody who already had rear panniers and who felt they needed extra carrying capacity for the occasional kitchen sink, I would recommend front low-riders rather than a Camper on top. The latter is possible but my own subjective feeling is that if you are carrying that amount of gear it is better distributed fore and aft rather than all being concentrated at the back.
I would second that. After done my last short camping trip around Swaledale, using both rear and front panniers minus bar-bag. I found the low riders to of benefit, having better control of steering. In place of bar-bag, I put a map-trap on instead.

For example.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

My interest in saddlebags is for commuting not touring. During the summer months I have half a panniers worth of stuff and have routinly been using a single pannier but have noticed that in the wet the handling isn't great. So I've added the second pannier and distributed the weight about. Great for handling but it adds weight and is yet another bag to haul about when I get to work (I've also got an Altura 5ltr saddle bag - with its own rack).

So what I want to do is find a way of being able to use one bag to replace 3. Probably I need around 15-20 ltrs of space.

Another possibility is a decent rack bag.
Asdace

Post by Asdace »

Without a doubt, the Carradice Camper Longflap is the one. With 24 litres and with a SQR. I use my for work, shopping and would not swear by any thing else. Although mine is getting a bit scabby now, cord link snapped, wooden rod came away from docking screw. All been repaired and back in action. But at £57, I decided to keep hold of it.

I always think rack-packs are a naff to get on and off. Another good product is the Topeak Trunk-bag, but only 6.6 litrs.
mikeitup

Post by mikeitup »

fatboy wrote:Another possibility is a decent rack bag.

Carradice Super C Rackbag :

http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/cgi-bin/quiks ... iliate_id=

I had to make a choice between Topeak or Carradice. Picked Topeak and now I regret it. Will be getting a Super C soon.
Sorry mikeitup. The sig just had to go. The forum staff are revolting ! Graham
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I just tried to post a rant about the excellence of the Carradice Camper Longflap and the stupidity of people who make saddles without the once univeral bagloops but it came up with 'Cannot display the webpage.' The world wide web is giving me a hint, I think :oops:
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Carradice list three big bags

1. Super C Saddlebag
2. Camper Longflap
3. Carradura saddlebag

Which is better between 1 and 2? What's this Carradura stuff? Is it any good?