'Throwover' style of rear panniers?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
bailout

'Throwover' style of rear panniers?

Post by bailout »

I am looking for some rear panniers and have seen the one piece throwover style ones. It seems most people seem to go for two seperate panniers but I can see some advantage with the throwover style. Firstly I have a limited budget and the throwover ones must be stronger and won't have any problems with hooks breaking. This may not be such a problem with good quality panniers but if I buy a cheap set then with a throwover set I don't have to worry about cheap hook attachments.

The throwover ones aren't available in the bonded waterproof material but I think it would be easy to rig a cover for them and the fully waterproof panniers tend to be expensive.

SJS sell some really cheap ones

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-SJSC ... -12905.htm

and then there are similar ones from Agu that I assume are better made

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Agu- ... -14838.htm

and I have seen similar ones from Avenir/raleigh for about £20-30 that I imagine are somewhere between the 2 in quality.

I wouldn't expect the cheap ones to stand up to years of hard use but was thinking they may be a better option than cheap seperate panniers.

Has anyone used this style of panniers and have any comments? I assume they fix to the rack by straps and buckles that would obviously be less convenient than hooks.
neilob

Post by neilob »

I think your last sentence says it all! Apart from build quality issues - which becaome important over time and in bad weather - these 'one piece' things are a real bxxxxer to fit safely and securely. Look for secondhand decent ones is my advice.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

saying that.....i have a set of ' throwover ' panniers!

and theyre brill in my opinion!

i can fit loads in them.....and the majority of the time the keep the rain out! after about a years hard use the only problem is that SOME of the stitching is starting to wear, but not a major issue

***the only downside is that if your on a train theyre more fiddly to remove!***
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
Russell

Post by Russell »

Mike Dyason used to do some - the website says new ones due soon. The one we have a a faff to fit and quite small.

Pannier Bags Double
bailout

Post by bailout »

Thanks for the replies. I want them for tour use and would expect to leave them on the bike most if not all the time so was thinking that it wouldn't matter too much if they are a bit of a hassle to fit.

Laurie, You sound pleased with yours, what brand/model are they? Do you use them for touring or general 'home' use? Also do you have a waterproof cover for them?
vernon

Post by vernon »

bailout wrote:Thanks for the replies. I want them for tour use and would expect to leave them on the bike most if not all the time so was thinking that it wouldn't matter too much if they are a bit of a hassle to fit.

Laurie, You sound pleased with yours, what brand/model are they? Do you use them for touring or general 'home' use? Also do you have a waterproof cover for them?

It's easier to use bin liners as a waterproof liner for your gear than to faff about with rain covers which in my experience, quickly lost their waterproofness.
james01

Post by james01 »

vernon wrote:[
It's easier to use bin liners as a waterproof liner for your gear than to faff about with rain covers which in my experience, quickly lost their waterproofness.

Agreed. I use ancient, leaky panniers but wrap everything in bin-liners at a cost of a few pence per annum.

Back to the main thread, my objections to throwovers :
1. As discussed, fiddly to fit & remove.
2. Top of carrier is masked, so fitting additional loads on top is less straightforward.
3. Can't carry just one pannier for occasional loads ( the fashion police on this forum would say this is a good thing 8) )
resus1uk

Post by resus1uk »

Tescos at £11, does for my work bike that sits in the open bike park. Definitely not waterproof but drysacs or rubble sacks keep most things dry
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

bailout wrote:Thanks for the replies. I want them for tour use and would expect to leave them on the bike most if not all the time so was thinking that it wouldn't matter too much if they are a bit of a hassle to fit.

mine are made by VISTA.....which i bough from my local bike shop. ive used them for both touring ( had them on my LEJOG and other trips ) and just for commuting!

theyre made of pretty tough hard-wearing fabric.....and have reflector strip sewn onto the back which is good!

i dont use a waterproof cover....i find with light rain its mostly the top of the pannier that gets slightly damp....everything inside is dry. with heavy rain....still its mostly just the top of the pannier that gets wet!

on my last tour i had things wrapped in carrier bags - only because i was away for 2weeks and didnt have any decent way of drying out any wet gear

i would recommend these type of panniers if your just after a cheaper bag for the back of your bike! if i won the lottery tho.....i wouldnt say no to a £100 set of panniers :lol:
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER