Gearing

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mansfield Marauder

Gearing

Post by Mansfield Marauder »

I know this subject has been thrashed to death on here in other blogs but please be patient. I am currently looking at swapping my drive chain i.e. new chainset, chain and block. My current set up is 28,38,48 chain set 14,16,18,20,22,24,34 block as you have probably spotted that is a hell of a step down from 2nd to 1st (I call it my get out of jail free gear) now I rarely use 1st gear on any of the chain rings and have hardly ever used the "granny ring". So do I swap to a 28,38,48 with a 14 - 28 or 14 - 32 or change to a 14 speed set up and hopefully save some money. I do not off road though my commute to work involves some cycle track which is mainly hardpacked sandstone.
Mansfield Moon Flea
May all your rides be punctureless
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

If you haven't seen it already, have a play with Sheldon's gear calculator, which will work out ratios for all combinations of chainring/sprocket you can throw at it, all at once.

I'd start by plugging each of your candidate options into it and see if they all have the coverage and the choices that you want. Don't forget that big-big and small-smll combinations will tend to accelerate chain wear (always used to be true, I assume it still is) so don't pick cogs that put your favourite ratios at one of these extremes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'd stick with the triple and go with the 14to28 back end,closer ratio=more efficient pedaling 28x28 gives 1to1,26in bottom gear(which you will use,though maybe only occasionally), opposed to 28x34,21in bottom gear that you never used,and you don't have the unreasonable jump from 24 to 34(?) :?
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

How about keeping the chainset but swapping a shifter to go 8 speed? You'd certainly get at least one sprocket in the "gap", and you would probably find more sprocket combinations off the peg. There doesnt seem to be much choice in 7 speed these days.
Mansfield Marauder

[quote="DaveP"]How about keeping the chainset but swapping a shifter to go 8 speed? You'd certainly get at least one sprocket in the "gap", and you would probably find more sprocket combinations off the peg. There doesnt seem to be much choice in 7 speed these days.[/quote]

Dave I think the existing drive chain is knackered as the chain has started jumping so I really do not have an option but to replace it all, as for limited options with 7 speed I am sure if i was willing to splash out a bit extra my LBS could make me up any block I wanted within the limitations of the gear mechanism which in this case is 14 to 34.
Mansfield Moon Flea
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Jumping chain indicates chain wear and probably cassette wear, but the chainrings are usually made of sterner stuff and quite possibly still OK. If you're pally with your LBS, get them to proffer an opinion on it.

'Course, if you want to splash the cash on an upgrade anyway don't let me stop you :-)
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

If you use a screw on freewheel, there are decent 13-28 blocks available with quite a nice spacing between the gears. I have one on my old bike, and also on the missus' mountain bike.
Only £3.99 plus postage on Ebay
Mansfield Marauder

Had a bit of a mishap on the way home last night Bl**dy chain snapped it would appear that when I put it back on at the week end I did not make a very good job of it, so I think it is off to the LBS and let them sort it might as well have the block, chain set and chain replaced whilst they have it.
Mansfield Moon Flea
cidermartin

Post by cidermartin »

I second reohn2's viewpoint. That's what I have on my road bikes: used for day rides and touring. Reasonable close ratios, able to get up steep hills. Any steeper I get off and walk.
Mansfield Marauder

[quote="cidermartin"]I second reohn2's viewpoint. That's what I have on my road bikes: used for day rides and touring. Reasonable close ratios, able to get up steep hills. Any steeper I get off and walk.[/quote]

Yeah I seem to remember form my formative days that when I took up touring I fitted a 14-28 on my road bike but back then the standard chain set was 42 52 not 28, 38, 48 but fashions change I suspose. I do not seem to be able to get the hang of this quote thing.
Mansfield Moon Flea
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Mansfield Marauder wrote:I do not seem to be able to get the hang of this quote thing.

I remember having problems at first, but not why!
All I do now is click the button in the top right of the post I want to quote from which brings up the body text in editable form. Selective deletion as required, then "enter" (or whatever its called these days ) to start my bit. Seems bulletproof :)

I hope thats more help than my earlier attempt - at the time I hadnt picked up on your use of freewheels rather than cassettes!
Mansfield Marauder

[quote="DaveP"][quote="Mansfield Marauder"]I do not seem to be able to get the hang of this quote thing.[/quote]

I remember having problems at first, but not why!
All I do now is click the button in the top right of the post I want to quote from which brings up the body text in editable form. Selective deletion as required, then "enter" (or whatever its called these days ) to start my bit. Seems bulletproof :) [/quote]

Nope still an not do it.
Mansfield Moon Flea
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Something's a bit odd, because if I quote your post, the embedded quote inside it shows up perfectly, which suggests you're not doing anything wrong.

When you are typing the post, does it say "BBCode is ON" in the Options panel underneath the smilies. If not, have a look at your profile, or maybe contact a board admin.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

dan_b wrote:When you are typing the post, does it say "BBCode is ON" in the Options panel underneath the smilies. If not, have a look at your profile, or maybe contact a board admin.

That sounds like the solution. Already happened to others ........
Mick F. Cornwall
Mansfield Marauder

[

That sounds like the solution. Already happened to others ........

Right lets try that then. Seems to have sold it.
Mansfield Moon Flea