B&M IQ Fly Plus light output v halogen bulbs

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Colin Stanley

B&M IQ Fly Plus light output v halogen bulbs

Post by Colin Stanley »

Here's a question for you:
Without actually buying one, can anyone tell me if a B&M Lumotec IQ Fly Plus headlight, would be a better light output than my Cateye Daylite twin headlight set (using 6w and 10w halogen bulbs)?
I assume the IQ Fly would consume less power than the combined 16w, as it uses just one LED, so the 6v lead acid gel battery would last longer, but would it also give out less light?
Any ideas please?
neilob

Post by neilob »

For what it's worth I posted a thread on here yesterday (throwing light on a question....) which asked a similar question. Best if you read the replies because they are very interesting. I have a IQ Fly Plus driven by a Schmidt dynohub and it's brilliant - expensive but no hassles from batteries.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

What are you using it for? The IQ Fly is for road use and is well focused. If you want off-road then your lead-acid set is likely to be better - rounder beam so you get more peripheral vision.

FWIW I had on loan a Specialized version of the same thing and I gave up on it and actually preferred an ordinary Halogen dynamo light. I then upgraded to the IQ fly which is much much better than any light I have ever used. If you want it for road then the IQ fly will likely be better with the key benefit of always being there, never running flat etc.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
james01

Re: B&M IQ Fly Plus light output v halogen bulbs

Post by james01 »

Colin Stanley wrote:I assume the IQ Fly would consume less power than the combined 16w, as it uses just one LED, so the 6v lead acid gel battery would last longer,

The IQ Fly is rated at 2.4 watts, so the burn-time should be about 6 times longer than your 16w lamps.
Colin Stanley

Post by Colin Stanley »

I'm using it for on-road. I bought a spare wide beam lense for the Cateye, so both beams are wide. The 6w is aimed for close up, and the 10w is for distance. So I can merge both beams to produce one longish but wide beam. It's just the battery life thats a problem burning 16w. I am using a 10Ahr battery from Maplins. The old Cateye one gave up the ghost soon after I bought the set.
andrew_s

Re: B&M IQ Fly Plus light output v halogen bulbs

Post by andrew_s »

It sounds like you are thinking of powering an IQ Fly from a 6V battery rather than a dynamo. A 6V battery is not the same thing as a dynamo at all, and there's a fair amount of electronics between the dynamo cable and the LED. Maybe it will work well, but you may find that you blow the light or don't get as much light out of it as when using a dynamo.

IMO you would be better off using one of the battery versions of the same light (Ixon IQ, 4xAA) and bodging that with a dummy battery insert.
Colin Stanley

Post by Colin Stanley »

andrew_s,
Yes that was an option I was thinking about. Otherwise I would forsake my Campag front hub and build a front wheel with a dynohub (like the Postman's bike!). I'm endeavouring to find the best light output with minimum hassle and cost. Having visited the B&M website, I might wait until the Lumotec IQ Cyo becomes available?
Or I could just stick with my current twin Cateye system and 6v lead acid gel battery, as it's fairly bomb proof, although a bit heavy.
meic

Post by meic »

The cyo is available on at least 2 German websites.

www.rose.de
www.fahrradteile.com

85 or 90 euros plus p&p 15 euros I think
Yma o Hyd
Colin Stanley

Post by Colin Stanley »

meic,
thanks for the links.
However, my Ge is not good.
If I go for the dynohub, I would need the switchable stand light version, and I think only a standard? is offered. Would really need to speak with someone.
cranky

Post by cranky »

The Roseverand site in English shows the Cyo available in two versions (40/60lux, both Senso) with standlight.
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2
Surly Long Haul Trucker