Fangio frame

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Lyndley

Fangio frame

Post by Lyndley »

Does anyone know anything about a Fangio brand of bike?

I recently bought this for doing up as a fixed.

It had quite a nice groupset on it, old Campagnolo Record, Shimano 600 headset.

The frame and forks are Reynolds 531 "special lightweight", not heard of this before, I'm thinking maybe it's just standard 531 but with thinner tubing? Then again for all I know it may just be ordinary steel with 531 stickers on it!

Frame ID is "FANGIO 16" which piqued my interest.

Anyone any thoughts, ideas, know where I might be able to find further info before the frame goes in for sandblasting?

Thanks

ds

Post by ds »

try here. they love this sort of thing.

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1
Lyndley

Post by Lyndley »

Cheers will do when they eventually get round to authorising my account!
archy sturmer

Post by archy sturmer »

Lindley -
If the fixed gear people come up with any info, will you keep us posted here?
I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in info on old bikes - I've got a few old bikes around the place which one day I'll get round to posting here in search of info.
I note your comments abt 531 stickers - I hope it's not just any old steel with stickers on, but it seems you can get transfers for almost anything, so I sometimes wonder abt the true provenance of some stuff.
Good luck!
AS
That's not a recent photo, by the way
Lyndley

Post by Lyndley »

Yes will do.

The stickers look old so I doubt they're fake, plus the special lightweight designation seems unusual, still not sure what this indicates, I can find bugger all of use on it on Google.

Still waiting for the fixed people to enable my account atm.

Got the seatpost out with a bit of effort, trying to sort the Shimano 600 headset now but it doesn't seem to want to come undone with a 32mm wrench and unfortunately I don't have the proper Shimano 600 headset wrench. After I get it off I plan to weigh the frame/forks and then start cleaning it all up! :)
Lyndley

Post by Lyndley »

Still waiting for those forum people to authorise me :?

*grumble*
TwoWheelsGood

Post by TwoWheelsGood »

This page features the sticker in question; it's near the bottom of the page in the "Mid 1970s and forward" category:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Britis ... allery.htm

If the sticker(s) are correct, then potentially you have a good quality frame from the mid-'70s - try using Google to search for "reynolds 531 sl".
Lyndley

Post by Lyndley »

Thanks, so lighter gauge meaning it's standard 531 but with thinner tubing?

It's basically all I can find too, that SL existed briefly but that's about it, no specifics anywhere.

Maybe it got rebranded to 531C or something.

Just sent Reynolds a mail querying. They may answer stuff like this.

Still waiting patiently on fixedgeargallery to authorise. :?
whoops

Post by whoops »

"It's exactly what it says on the frame" Just take a hard look and the workmanship, lugwork, fluted seat tube tops, fork crown, the beautiful way the drop-outs blend in with the forks and chain stays. A frame of quality!
Lyndley

Post by Lyndley »

Thanks for your comments, very useful knowing specifics on what to look for. I'm a bit of a phillistine when it comes to knowing if a frame's any good at the moment, only got into cycling recently but with this one all signs seemed to say it was a decent frame!

As I say it'd be a shame to have it sandblasted and resprayed anti-thief grey or brown or something equally unappealling if this turned out to be was an uncommon high-quality frame.

I'm really wanting to get more info on this, if I'm going to get it resprayed it may well be worth not doing it on the cheap and spending some money to try to keep it original or possibly a variation on how it is now.

I've been trying to source Fangio decals but no joy, there seems to be no info on Fangio as a bike maker out there at all.

Really wish the fixedgear people would get this collective arses into gear, am wanting to get this frame sorted one way or another ASAP.
Last edited by Lyndley on 6 Oct 2008, 9:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyndley

Post by Lyndley »

For anyone that's interested I've just had this back from a Terry at Reynolds.

Thank you for contacting us.

531SL was a tube set sold in the 70's which has 531 main triangle drawn
lighter than standard and 753 rear stays.

This was replaced in 1981 in our range by 653.

Brief but really helpful and informative.

They don't do decals pre-1980 since they were wet fix and have a short shelf life which I read as they've all gone mouldy in the back somewhere. Have sorted some out through eBay though.

I've been trying to weigh this frame but the scales we have are awful, currently trying to source cheap but accurate set of fishing scales or similar!