Lumotec IQ Fly N plus switch doesn't work

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
KevinKidney

Lumotec IQ Fly N plus switch doesn't work

Post by KevinKidney »

I have just bought and fitted a Lumotec IQ Fly N plus. Powered with built in cable from Shimano dynahub, with wired in tail light fitted to spade connectors. Fantastic light, but can't switch it off. If the switch is moved to off position all that happens is that the standby light is disabled, main beam and tail light are still on. So all switch does is switch on and off standby light and not headlamp main LED and tail light as desired. Anyone else have this problem? Have I done something wrong or is light faulty?
Russell

Post by Russell »

Don't know the wiring details of this light but the explanation that comes to mind is that you have wired the dynamo to the tail light connector and the tail light to the dynamo connector.

Russell
james01

Post by james01 »

The wiring instructions for the later B&M headlamp, the Cyo, which is closely related to the Fly are :
..the shorter twin cable with spade connectors on the ends is the rear light connection.
..the longer twin cable without any connectors on the end is for connection to the dynamo.
.. the black & white cables are for earth, black cables are for "current" ( meaning, I assume, positive).

Hope this applies to your IQ lamp.

My lamp arrived without any instructions, I had to email B&M for this information. By the way, my Cyo is the 60 lux Sport version, a superbly bright lamp.
james01

Post by james01 »

james01 wrote:.. the black & white cables are for earth, black cables are for "current" ( meaning, I assume, positive).

It seems that my assumption here was wrong : I've just spotted some additional instructions for Cyo users who wish to use a battery instead of dynamo. It states that the positive terminal should be connected to the earth wire, and negative to the "current" wire. This is opposite to normal dynamo convention. However, I don't know if it makes any difference anyway - I'd been running my light the wrong way round until I found this extra information, & brightness seems to be the same whichever polarity.
ouzel

Lumotec Cyo Sport

Post by ouzel »

James, where did you get your Cyo ? There do not appear to be many in the UK at the moment, and I am after one.

Thanks.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

KevinKidney,

Worth double checking the wiring. Have you got the hub dynamo connected the right way round? Does it work right if the rear light is not connected?
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
james01

Re: Lumotec Cyo Sport

Post by james01 »

ouzel wrote:James, where did you get your Cyo ? There do not appear to be many in the UK at the moment, and I am after one.

Thanks.

Hope this link works. This is the 60lux Sport. They also do a 40lux where some of the lens area is sacrificed to allow for a street-legal reflector for the German market.
The Cyo has very similar beam pattern to its "parent", the Lumotec Fly IQ, but it's even brighter. Delivery took 3 days.

http://www.roseversand.de/output/contro ... er=1080447
Last edited by james01 on 21 Oct 2008, 4:53pm, edited 3 times in total.
natmat

Post by natmat »

I've an IQ Fly senso, like yours with off/on/auto switch:

OFF - is what it says, no output at all and that includes the standlight.
ON - always on
AUTO - on when dark

If running on/auto and come to stop and swith to off, then no standlight. Switch to on/auto and then standlight will come on. So, in my experiene OFF means OFF.

Since you have light out, then the you've obviously wired the rear lamp correctly. I wired my B&M incorrectly, swapping earth-live by mistake, which resulted in no light at all.

I think you've a duffer :((
natmat

Post by natmat »

Russell wrote:Don't know the wiring details of this light but the explanation that comes to mind is that you have wired the dynamo to the tail light connector and the tail light to the dynamo connector.

Russell

Can't do, dynamo cable is integral to the lamp. So only connectors visible are for a 2nd lamp (rear/front).
james01

Post by james01 »

natmat wrote:I've an IQ Fly senso, like yours with off/on/auto switch:

OFF - is what it says, no output at all and that includes the standlight.
ON - always on
AUTO - on when dark

If running on/auto and come to stop and swith to off, then no standlight. Switch to on/auto and then standlight will come on. So, in my experiene OFF means OFF.

Since you have light out, then the you've obviously wired the rear lamp correctly. I wired my B&M incorrectly, swapping earth-live by mistake, which resulted in no light at all.

I think you've a duffer :((

I would double check wiring, including trying it without the rear lamp. The simple cure, if you are forced to admit defeat, would be to incorporate an on/off switch in one of the feed wires from the dynamo.
Just a late afterthought : was the rear light already wired directly to the dynamo (as it is on my bike, not via the front light) ? If so, if you've also wired it to the new headlamp, the dynamo could be powering your front light constantly via the tail light.
delthebike

Re: Lumotec IQ Fly N plus switch doesn't work

Post by delthebike »

KevinKidney wrote:I have just bought and fitted a Lumotec IQ Fly N plus. Powered with built in cable from Shimano dynahub, with wired in tail light fitted to spade connectors. Fantastic light, but can't switch it off. If the switch is moved to off position all that happens is that the standby light is disabled, main beam and tail light are still on. So all switch does is switch on and off standby light and not headlamp main LED and tail light as desired. Anyone else have this problem? Have I done something wrong or is light faulty?

I don't think you have done anything wrong nor do I think that the light is faulty. If you allow the standlight capacitor to drain and then turn the light off it should not light up when you spin the hub. If you spin the hub with the light on and then turn it off the standlights will stay lit until the charge has left the capacitors.

Edit: the new cyo light is different in that when you turn it off it also turns off the standlight, but leaves the capacitors charged. a security feature so that it doesn't attract attention when parked up.