Chainset for mountain bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
texteditor

Chainset for mountain bike

Post by texteditor »

I have a Stronglight triple chainset off a road bike, complete with sealed cassette bearings, will this fit on a mountain bike?
Si

Post by Si »

"Depends"

You might find that the larger chainrings hit the drive side chain stay, that you can't move the mech up enough or that the mech won't comfortably handle the larger big ring.

All depends ont he size of the rings, length of the BB axle and shape/size of the frame's chain stays.

Often the only way to find out is to try it.

(I'm assuming that by "sealed cassette bearings" you mean BB?)
texteditor

Post by texteditor »

I was going to use smaller rings to maintain the mountain bike gearing, I thought I would end up "sucking and seeing" but thought someone might have gone there before.
Thanks. texteditor.
meic

Post by meic »

Depends what you mean by a mountain bike. My "mountain bike" has a Stronglight triple working fine. It is a mountain bike, it says so on the frame!
Looks more like an ATB in real life.

Compared to the road bike you need much wider spacing between the crank ends as the mountain bikes are fatter across the chainstays. The chainstays curving out to go round the tyres.
The Stronglight triple does have a wide spacing.
Yma o Hyd
random37

Post by random37 »

I went into my local bike shop (inot telling you which one to protect the innocent employees). Looking for two small chainrings. The mechanic there said to look at chain reaction cycles, who are doing a deal where you get a Deore triple compwith BB for £45.
I'd stick your Stronglight up for sale here, and get one of those.