Kick Down Stands

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Cyclelady

Kick Down Stands

Post by Cyclelady »

I am thinking of getting a kick stand for my bike so that when I am training I dont have to worry about leaning it against things that could stratch my paintwork. Does anybody think they are any good?
Ann Dulbar

Re:Kick Down Stands

Post by Ann Dulbar »

Hi, I have just purchased a Pletscher and can recommend it. Like you I didn't want my bike getting damaged.
This addition to my kit has made things easier for me, they are easy to install and don't really add too much weight to the bike.
Cyclelady

Post by Cyclelady »

do you think they are worth the money?
Ann Dulbar

Post by Ann Dulbar »

Yeah, mine was around £17, you can get cheaper ones. Why not buy a cheapy and if you like it you could always upgrade later.
Ed Set

Post by Ed Set »

Do you need them? is that not what walls are for?
Pete

Post by Pete »

Note that the training board isn't where this should have gone, I'd think "Bikes and bits" would be more relevant than cycle training.

But that said, while I'd agree that a kickstand isn't needed they are very handy on utility bikes, especially ones you're loading with shopping etc. A few years ago I vowed no bike of mine would ever have a dynamo, a bell or a propstand. I now have 3 bikes with dynamos, bells and propstands...

Pete.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I've found that the stands that connect to the rear triangle near the back wheel are much more stable than the ones that connect near the pedals. I've got one on my tandem, works fine even with luggage. Also, they don't get tangled up with the pedal cranks when you push your bike backwards. They can be a bit more expensive and harder to find though.

Bob.
Tim Evans

Post by Tim Evans »

Rear mounted can clash with trailers. For better balance how about Esge's 2-legged central-mounted kickstand at £20? I'm about to try it. Tim