stretched gear cable

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
wataru

stretched gear cable

Postby wataru » 23 Nov 2004, 9:41am

One of my gear cables has been caught on something and has stretched quite alot and now my rear gears dont work at all, I have tightend by screwing the connection on the gear changer but it just goes too tight and I cant move the gear changer at all.

any ideas?

Thanks alot

Si Davies

Re:stretched gear cable

Postby Si Davies » 23 Nov 2004, 4:00pm

can you not just undo the clamp that holds the cable to the mech, pull the cable through it further and screw it up again, thus taking the slack out?

or have I misunderstood your problem?

wataru

Postby wataru » 23 Nov 2004, 5:19pm

yeah i think your right, it should work but it has bent the cable quite alot.

Ill try it tonight and see if it works.

wataru

Postby wataru » 24 Nov 2004, 10:26am

UploadI use my bike to and from work and when I went to ride home last night the cable was no longer very slack but very tight and I was unable to change gear at all on the rear cogs. I undid the cable at the derailier and slackend it up and fiddled abou and now have it working again the only problem is when going down the gears it is very hard/stiff to turn the gear shifter (I have the twisty handle gear shifts thingies) but I dont have much time (or light) on a night so ill try to sort it over the weekend, gonna give my bike a right proper clean. at least I can change gear now. Thanks for the help

TATANAB

Postby TATANAB » 24 Nov 2004, 3:33pm

Some of this could be due to worn and un lubricated gear cables. It used to get that way with Campag handlebar control levers. The action would get very heavy. The answer was to strip and clean the gear lever and treat it to a nice new lubricated cable.