Tektro Top Mount Brake Levers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Colin63

Tektro Top Mount Brake Levers

Postby Colin63 » 16 Jan 2009, 10:08pm

Has anybody used these types of levers? Ally's having trouble adapting to drops and is particularly nervous of the brake lever position. Rather than change the bars I thought it might be worth trying something like this so that there are levers are within easy reach for her. I saw something similar on a new Cannondale today and they are definitely an improvement on the infamous 'safety levers' of the 70s and 80s.

glueman

Postby glueman » 16 Jan 2009, 10:15pm

Haven't tried them but they look good if you're not a weight fetishist. My one doubt would be if you habitually used them your hands would be very close together.
Emergency braking is often a mix of desperate application and swerving so you might lack the bar leverage to make the correct manoeuvre.

patricktaylor

Postby patricktaylor » 16 Jan 2009, 10:37pm

My bike of seven months has those. Excellent in my opinion, even for emergency braking. I don't think I've yet used the other levers in 2500 miles (I can hardly reach them for braking). If it wasn't for the top mount levers I wouldn't be using drop handlebars.

glueman

Postby glueman » 16 Jan 2009, 10:46pm

The ones in the picture are on naked and probably wide bars. Those I've seen in the flesh were mounted more or less either side of the stem and looked like straight line braking only.
Given a sensible mounting point they look a good idea.

patricktaylor

Postby patricktaylor » 16 Jan 2009, 11:15pm

The inside of mine are about 70mm from the centreline. Inside of hand about 120mm. Fine for the road, and you're more upright when you brake.

ncutler

Postby ncutler » 17 Jan 2009, 5:43am

patricktaylor wrote:My bike of seven months has those. Excellent in my opinion, even for emergency braking. I don't think I've yet used the other levers in 2500 miles (I can hardly reach them for braking). If it wasn't for the top mount levers I wouldn't be using drop handlebars.

I agree completely. Dead easy to fit, work perfectly, fine with a bar bag.

Totally transform the experience of difficult steep downhill: you can sit up and enjoy the view. Provide vastly more confidence in heavy traffic as you can see about you better and still snatch the brakes.

Most road bars have a thicker section at the centre and the brake levers sit up against it, as you can see from the picture in the first post. This puts them in exactly the right position.

Nick

willem jongman

Postby willem jongman » 17 Jan 2009, 6:04am

These have good reputation. They are originally for cyclo cross racing, i.e. racing in the mud with a drop bar bike that is close to a racing bike rather than a mountainbike.
Willem

Colin63

Postby Colin63 » 17 Jan 2009, 7:47am

That's fantastic feedback. Thanks everyone. I'll send off for a set and get them fitted.

yakdiver

Postby yakdiver » 17 Jan 2009, 10:00am

I have them on my touring bike

PW

Postby PW » 17 Jan 2009, 7:17pm

I used to get complaints of small hands not working well with drop bar levers and cantis, though the system was mechanically fine. When I built the current generation of bikes I used Campag Ergopowers on 3TTT Morphe drops, combined with Shimano deep drop dual pivots. Wife and daughter are now quite happy with braking both from the drops and the hoods. Emergency stops from the hoods are quite possible.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!

ddddddd

Postby ddddddd » 17 Jan 2009, 9:07pm

glueman wrote:My one doubt would be if you habitually used them your hands would be very close together.
Emergency braking is often a mix of desperate application and swerving so you might lack the bar leverage to make the correct manoeuvre.

I think you're correct to some extent. However, the lever only needs two fingers for operation, so that can put the hands further apart (depending on the bars).

Also, you can put them a bit wider if you want, it's just not quite as neat with the bar tape. In fact this makes setting them up easier. - I found it a little bit tricky getting the cable housing exactly the right length to go between the two brake levers. (When the new lever was butted up against the central sleeve.)
Last edited by ddddddd on 18 Jan 2009, 11:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

robwa10

Postby robwa10 » 17 Jan 2009, 11:26pm

ncutler wrote: work perfectly, fine with a bar bag. Nick

This has always been my concern and the reason I didn't fit them on my new bike. Does everyone have the same experience? Does it make fitting the bag more difficult or cause any problems using the levers when the bag's on?

frank9755

Postby frank9755 » 18 Jan 2009, 9:06am

I have them on my bike and used a Klik-fix extender so the bar bag is held an inch or so further from the bars. It wasn't strictly necessary but gives a bit more room for the cables.

I find the levers are excellent and actually give much better braking performance with my Tektro Oryx brakes than the main levers.

glueman

Postby glueman » 18 Jan 2009, 9:10am

frank9755 wrote:I find the levers are excellent and actually give much better braking performance with my Tektro Oryx brakes than the main levers.

You're on to something there. These levers find favour with tourists who have cantilevers fitted. I've never used cantis that come close to V-brake or dual pivot brakes with drop bar levers so top mounts would be a good solution.

Jeckyll_n_Snyde

Postby Jeckyll_n_Snyde » 18 Jan 2009, 7:28pm

numbnuts wrote:I have them on my touring bike

Me too 8) 8) ..... best thing since sliced bread IMO.
They are TEKTRO RX 2.0 .....sometimes referred to as "cyclo-cross/top-bar safety levers".... excellent for someone going from straight's to drops.
MALE by the evolutionary process of natural selection
Heterosexual by choice
Atheist by the grace of G** :wink: :wink: :wink: