Tektro Top Mount Brake Levers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ncutler

Postby ncutler » 18 Jan 2009, 11:01pm

robwa10 wrote:Does it make fitting the bag more difficult or cause any problems using the levers when the bag's on?

I have a medium sized bar bag with an ordinary, unextended, 'Klikfix' bracket.

The brake levers are set at approx 45 degrees downwards, and there is room for a gloved hand to grasp the levers without trouble. Usually, though, I find I'm holding the bars out from the centre, with hands half on the bends, and it's easy to use a couple of fingers on the levers well away from the bag.

Jeckyll's picture above says it all.

Nick

bailout

Postby bailout » 19 Jan 2009, 4:33pm

Jeckyll_n_Snyde wrote:
numbnuts wrote:I have them on my touring bike

Me too 8) 8) ..... best thing since sliced bread IMO.

You look to have your drop bars angled down sharply towards the front of the bike. I have been trying to get used to drop bars on a dawes sardar I bought last year and wasn't sure how angled to have the drops but find that even with them almost flat I fell like my hands are sliding forwards.

ddddddd

Postby ddddddd » 19 Jan 2009, 4:48pm

bailout wrote:wasn't sure how angled to have the drops but find that even with them almost flat I fell like my hands are sliding forwards.

Struggled with this for years before finding out that different handlebars would help.
See: Rivendell Bicycle Works - Nitto Noodle bar
Modern brake levers are much better at smoothly joining to the bars than old ones too.

Also, the pic in the above posts has brake levers with enormous hoods, so much more of the hand will fit on this and not be on the bars hardly at all. (Rough rule of thumb, the more expensive the STI is, the larger this bit is.)

willem jongman

Postby willem jongman » 19 Jan 2009, 5:01pm

I also have the (46 cm) Nitto Noodle bars (in the UK Hubjub do them) and I think they are the best touring bars I have ever had, by far. They look good too, as all Nitto stuff. As for hoods, I am one of the lucky ones who still have Magura HS66 brakes. Not only do they brake exceptionally well, but the hoods are the best there is, I think. So for me, these Tektro braks would not work. I could do the same with HS33 levers if I wanted (it has been done), but with the HS66 I really do not need to, as they work so well from the hoods.
Willem
Last edited by willem jongman on 19 Jan 2009, 5:06pm, edited 2 times in total.

patricktaylor

Postby patricktaylor » 19 Jan 2009, 5:01pm

My only reservation with Tektro top mounts:

A tendency (in time) for the brake cable to wear as it rubs the threaded metal sleeve at the point shown by the small red arrow. On my other bike (identical setup but with more miles) the cable is 'smoothed out' on the front. It hasn't frayed but the strands of cable have been flattened into each other to create a smooth surface.

Jeckyll_n_Snyde

Postby Jeckyll_n_Snyde » 20 Jan 2009, 1:23am

patricktaylor wrote:My only reservation with Tektro top mounts........A tendency (in time) for the brake cable to wear.......... It hasn't frayed but the strands of cable have been flattened into each other to create a smooth surface.

I change cables at least once a year; worn or not.....and as they cost peanuts this doesn't even become a concern.

bailout wrote:You look to have your drop bars angled down sharply towards the front of the bike.
Correct; i do (mainly for performance purposes) as expalined here in an old post.
MALE by the evolutionary process of natural selection
Heterosexual by choice
Atheist by the grace of G** :wink: :wink: :wink:

meic

Postby meic » 20 Jan 2009, 12:06pm

They come in two different clamp sizes. I got the smaller clamp size and it is still much too large for my traditional bars diameter. So with that and the tiny weight increase I havent tried them yet.
Yma o Hyd

Dynamite_funk

Re: Tektro Top Mount Brake Levers

Postby Dynamite_funk » 26 Mar 2014, 7:59am

Zombie thread resurrection here but I thought it was very relevant :D

Are these top mount levers OK with dual pivot calliper brakes, particularly these...?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tektro-r559-ext ... ck-device/

The levers are already on a 'cyclocross bike' which is being used solely for commuting on a canal but I would prefer dual pivots as I find taking the wheels out much easier than with cantilevers (I want to swap the 32mm tyred wheels with some nice 25mm tyred wheels for weekend road rides)

Thanks in advance :mrgreen:

honesty

Postby honesty » 26 Mar 2014, 9:05am

Yes, and I'd point to my for sale thread if you are interested in getting some levers cheap... ;), as the cross top levers are designed for cantilevers. anything that works for canti's also works for caliper brakes. This is the set up I have on my Audax, STI's long drop calipers and cross top brakes.

One benefit I find almost indispensable now that hasn't been mentioned is the ability to slow down in control of the bike using the cross top lever whilst signaling to turn at the same time.

531colin

Postby 531colin » 26 Mar 2014, 9:17am

.........what, just like I do with my ordinary drop levers?

honesty

Postby honesty » 26 Mar 2014, 9:25am

Yeh, I find I'm more comfortable sat a little more upright and using the crosstop levers than the drop levers when signaling and braking at the same time. Not saying you cant use the drop levers though :)

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 26 Mar 2014, 12:23pm

I have cross top levers on my tourer (Ridgeback Panorama) and use them virtually all the time. I think you can get more leverage from them than the normal brake levers. I too find they are great when you're signalling to turn right. I'd like some on my audax bike too.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

CJ

Postby CJ » 26 Mar 2014, 12:44pm

I generally reckon that when someone's using that part of a dropped handlebar "virtually all of the time", they'd likely be more comfortable with a shorter and/or higher stem.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.

bigjim

Postby bigjim » 26 Mar 2014, 10:55pm

I've got them fitted on one of my tourers. They are fine. I really like them. However if I ride the bike for a while and then switch to another bike I find myself reaching for them and miss having them available.

On a side note I had a bike with the old type, so called suicide levers fitted. You know I never had a problem with these and found them very efficient. I could never understand why people were so against them.
Nothing left to prove.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 26 Mar 2014, 11:06pm

Another vote for crosstops i find them a really handy alternative braking position,especially technical and steep off road down hill sections.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.