Which Tubus Lowrider?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
drossall

Post by drossall »

It's a rare cyclist who'll question CJ's advice...
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

patricktaylor wrote:Thanks. They both seem to have a single rail for the pannier clips, and I see what you mean by the hoop adding rigidity - but what if the hoop becomes detached at the top fixings (small bolts)?

I'm not sure if you've had a good look at these, but there are three sections to these racks. One tube forms the lower loop on one side, runs continuously over the top (the loop) and forms the lower loop on the other side. Each loop has a cross-piece, then the arms bolt on to the top. So the hoop can't become detached - the top fixings are for the arms (and they seem very secure). I had an "incident" with mine and bent one of the arms slightly - the connection was fine, and Spa Cycles got me a replacement arm - sorted! I've no idea about the Duo, but the Ergo is a good rack.
syklist

Post by syklist »

patricktaylor wrote:Thanks. They both seem to have a single rail for the pannier clips, and I see what you mean by the hoop adding rigidity - but what if the hoop becomes detached at the top fixings (small bolts)?

We've had Ergo lowriders for three years now and none the bolts have ever come loose. I check them every now and again. The only slight problem we encountered was that on our old bikes we had to remove the quick release skewers to be able to get the front wheel off. However we had clamps instead of braze on fittings which might have changed that angles at the bottom of the rack. Not a major problem as we rarely had punctures.

You might also consider the Tara lowrider. The only gotcha I know is that the tubes at the bottom are thicker than the other lowriders. The bottom hooks on some panniers (Ortliebs with the QL1 system for instance) are to small to fit over the tube. You need the to use the QL2 lower hooks instead.

HTH
Stan
So long and thanks for all the fish...
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

Thanks. My LBS is getting in a Tara for me to try. I think it should be okay, but they will return it to stock if it isn't. My panniers have a long springy plastic hook for the bottom fixing that seems as if it pulls out far enough.

What I meant about the hoop was that if the side arms came off for some reason (unlikely I know, but they're only held by bolts) then the hoop would go down under the front wheel and I'd be up and over.
PH

Post by PH »

patricktaylor wrote:What I meant about the hoop was that if the side arms came off for some reason (unlikely I know, but they're only held by bolts) then the hoop would go down under the front wheel and I'd be up and over.

Only if both sides came undone at the same time...it ain't going to happen.
PH

Post by PH »

syklist wrote:[ The only gotcha I know is that the tubes at the bottom are thicker than the other lowriders. The bottom hooks on some panniers (Ortliebs with the QL1 system for instance) are to small to fit over the tube. You need the to use the QL2 lower hooks instead.
Stan

All new Ortliebs use the QL2 lower fitting and for older ones a 16mm QL1 hook is available.
My preference for the Ergo is partly how easy it is bodge a damaged pannier to it. Even a roll of gaffa tape would secure it in a way that wouldn't be possible with the other designs. A fairly minor accident broke the bottom catch and one hook of my Ortlieb front rollers.
syklist

Post by syklist »

PH wrote:
syklist wrote:[ The only gotcha I know is that the tubes at the bottom are thicker than the other lowriders. The bottom hooks on some panniers (Ortliebs with the QL1 system for instance) are to small to fit over the tube. You need the to use the QL2 lower hooks instead.
Stan

All new Ortliebs use the QL2 lower fitting and for older ones a 16mm QL1 hook is available.
My preference for the Ergo is partly how easy it is bodge a damaged pannier to it. Even a roll of gaffa tape would secure it in a way that wouldn't be possible with the other designs. A fairly minor accident broke the bottom catch and one hook of my Ortlieb front rollers.

We've not as yet suffered hook failures on any of our Ortliebs, but I see what you mean. The Tara looks more stylish but I'd go with function in this case. The Ergos are very strong indeed, we've picked up the front of the bikes when laden using the 'hoops' to get them into trains a couple of times.

Cheers
Stan
So long and thanks for all the fish...