dynamo setup indecision

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
badams

dynamo setup indecision

Post by badams »

Hi - I'm getting my wheel rebuilt with a hub dynamo, but I still can't quite decide what setup lights-wise is best. I know it's a matter of taste but would be grateful for opinions...

I'm thinking of one of the following options. I'll be using the bike primarily for short commutes but also the occasional short-ish ride in spring and summer.

(a) dynamo front + battery rear: something bright and robust up front (schmidt e6, I think), which is without a standlight but nice and bright; and a battery carrier-mounted light on the rear - probably the B&M senso.

(b) dynamo front + rear: stoplight (because I may as well if going for B&M) B&M Lumotech or similar at front and carrier-mounted DToplight at rear.

My problem is partly that I figured if I'm going to the expense of getting a hub dynamo fitted (the shimano, but still not exactly cheap with the rebuild cost), I should be using dynamo power exclusively - a kind of dynamo purist thing... but then I think about the supposed power of the E6 and the relatively less faffy arrangement of having a battery rear and wonder if that's best.

So, not a huge problem but i can't make my mind up! Would be good to know what other people think...

thanks, adam
cycle cat

Post by cycle cat »

What about a B and M Lumotec Plus front and a battery powered LED light on the rear?

I've got the B and M Lumotec Plus powered by a bottle dynamo on my touring bike and it's really good.

B and M also do LED powered dynamo lights which get good reviews.

Cycle cat.
vernon

Re: dynamo setup indecision

Post by vernon »

badams wrote:Hi - I'm getting my wheel rebuilt with a hub dynamo, but I still can't quite decide what setup lights-wise is best. I know it's a matter of taste but would be grateful for opinions...

I'm thinking of one of the following options. I'll be using the bike primarily for short commutes but also the occasional short-ish ride in spring and summer.

(a) dynamo front + battery rear: something bright and robust up front (schmidt e6, I think), which is without a standlight but nice and bright; and a battery carrier-mounted light on the rear - probably the B&M senso.

(b) dynamo front + rear: stoplight (because I may as well if going for B&M) B&M Lumotech or similar at front and carrier-mounted DToplight at rear.

My problem is partly that I figured if I'm going to the expense of getting a hub dynamo fitted (the shimano, but still not exactly cheap with the rebuild cost), I should be using dynamo power exclusively - a kind of dynamo purist thing... but then I think about the supposed power of the E6 and the relatively less faffy arrangement of having a battery rear and wonder if that's best.

So, not a huge problem but i can't make my mind up! Would be good to know what other people think...

thanks, adam

It's whatever you want - there's no right or wrong answer.

FWIW

I have a IQ Fly LED front light on one of my dyno hubbed bikes and a Lumotec Round on the other. Both bikes share a Cat Eye TL1100 rear light. I couldn't be bothered with the faff of a rear light cable run.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Forget the E6 - it's a good light, but outclassed by an IQ Fly N at the same price. The only advantage of the E6 might be in wet or foggy conditions, when bluish, less focused LED light seems to be either swallowed up or scattered.

Most people now seem to go for a battery rear. Fit lithium batteries and they may well last all year, with no untidy wiring. The Germans have to use dynamo rear lights by law (unless the bike is under about 25lb), hence the large number made by B&M et al.
scott

lights

Post by scott »

Hi,
after much playing around with dynamos, my two bikes (town bike + tourer) are running hub dynamos. Both bikes have dynamo powered front and rear lights, and find the ease of running the whole system from one switch very convenient as they're always there, and never have to worry about recharging/removing/forgetting/turning off anything. I personally don't have any problems with running a cable through to the rear light, and a neat cable route is generally pretty easy.

As for lights, I'm not overly concerned with headlight power, as 95% of my cycling is through well lit urban streets, where frontlights are used to be seen by, not to see by, I find the simplest B+M halogen lights more than adequate (and they're only £19 from SPA). Having said that I did recently by B+M DLumotec Oval because of the standlight feature. I think this light is nowhere near as powerful as the more recently produced LED lights, but find it is easily bright enough.
badams

lights

Post by badams »

Thanks for all the advice - really helpful. I think i"m closer to making up my mind now...
adam
abradleyInf

Post by abradleyInf »

I prefer an "everlasting" rear dynamo lamp (with standlight): saves batteries and avoids starting journey with a bright lamp, and ending it with a dim one. Battery lamps are extra. Perhaps a variant of reelights that could power a standard 0.6W dyno lamp would keep the cable haters happy
james01

Post by james01 »

abradleyInf wrote:I prefer an "everlasting" rear dynamo lamp (with standlight): saves batteries and avoids starting journey with a bright lamp, and ending it with a dim one.

Agreed, it means the bike's always ready for use 24/7. You can always supplement the dynamo lights with battery LEDs for extra visibility.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

james01 wrote:
abradleyInf wrote:I prefer an "everlasting" rear dynamo lamp (with standlight): saves batteries and avoids starting journey with a bright lamp, and ending it with a dim one.

Agreed, it means the bike's always ready for use 24/7. You can always supplement the dynamo lights with battery LEDs for extra visibility.

Thirded (if that's a word) but it's still worth having a battery backup in case the wiring breaks (which mine did last week). I have a Basta rear LED light (not available any more) with a standlight which is great plus the IQ Fly which is brilliant.

Worth getting the coax cable to wire things up perhaps?
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Tony1968

Post by Tony1968 »

I'm a fan of dynamo at both ends too, using standlights.

Last year my Lumotec + E6 twin halogen setup (coupled to SON) was stolen. I replace them with an IQ fly and find it better on it's own than running both old lamps. I need a good lamp as I commute on unlit roads.

Apart from not having to mess about with batteries one of the big benefits of running dynamo lights at both ends is that I have lights ready to use when I didn't think I'd need them - the unexpected late finish, the patch of fog on a summer's morning etc.

Only complaint I have with the IQ is the upward light it throws into my face....but that was quickly fixed with a bit of black tape.
PW

Post by PW »

I'm intending to build a Schmidt wheel for the tourer sometime this summer. My take is to fit a B&M IQ Cyo at the front & probably 2 Smart 1/2 watt diodes at the rear. That should be bright enough for anyone and if the rear lights are run with one flashing and the other on constant the batteries should never run out together.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Hemipode

Post by Hemipode »

PW - the Cyo only uses 2.4W of the 3W+ you will be generating. That leaves 0.6W left over for a rear light if you wish to use it :idea:
The Cyo also comes with the rear light cable connectors already in place. B&M say that you should not remove them, so if not used you will need to insulate the ends.
I think the cable set up on the Cyo is very useful - or just a clever marketing ploy (it worked in my case) to get you to run one of their rather good rear lights as well :!:
Badams - The DToplight with standlight is great. I use it in conjunction with a Cyo for the front. I still have battery back-up lights as well though. You can't have too much light !
syklist

Re: dynamo setup indecision

Post by syklist »

badams wrote:Hi - I'm getting my wheel rebuilt with a hub dynamo, but I still can't quite decide what setup lights-wise is best.
[snip]

I'd go for something like an B&M IQ Fly or Cyo at the front with automatic on/off function and one of the B&M rear lights with stand light (say the Toplight flat). Running a cable to the rear of the bike is not difficult with cable ties. Even the B&M IQ Fly beats the pants off an E6 halogen light, and is better than a Lumotec/E6 double lamp setup. The Cyo in 60 Lux form is amazing.

The great advantage of both front and rear lights running off the dynamo is that they switch themselves on and off as you go in and out of tunnels. Our experience is that this is almost instananeous. With an all LED setup the lights start producing light (albeit flickery) almost as soon as the bike starts rolling (on our touring bikes probably 2-3km/h).
HTH
Stan
So long and thanks for all the fish...
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

The joy of the dynamo rear lights is that they generally have a good big reflector as well as the bulb. I have an AXA-Basta with a standlight. It's always on when it's dark, and the reflector makes it (pretty close to) British Standard. It's not very bright though!

To actually be seen, get a Smart 1/2 watt Superflash battery light. You can get 'em off eBay for less than a tenner, they're small and very light, and they're super-bright. I don't believe there's a dynamo rear light that is anywhere near as bright.

Belt and braces - Smart to be seen, dynamo to be legal and for backup. And an IQ fly or cyo up front.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
badams

dynamo lights

Post by badams »

thanks again for all the tips! I still haven't totally made my mind up, but though i still like the simplicity of the E6, I can see that (especially for city commuting), it makes sense to have a standlight - so after looking into the Cyo a bit more, it is pretty appealing... apart from the price. It does do pretty much everything I want, though, and combined with a dynamo rear would be a great 'self-sufficient' solution (I was going to go for a battery rear but from what I've read in these posts, the Cyo - and i guess any other LED model - is pretty much just as bright with or without a rear dynamo-driven light, so I'm going to opt for a Dtoplight multi or plus. I was wondering about the senso option, so thanks for your thoughts syklist (though there aren't many tunnels in norfolk so i do wonder if i'll ever get to use it!).

thanks again, and if i make my mind up sometime soon, i'll post the result... the hub's in the wheel now so i have no excuse not to get it sorted!
adam